Should I use a screen or paint a wall white?.

A

alan monro

Audioholic Intern
I am building my home theatre. I am at the stage of trying to decide whether to use a screen or paint the wall flat white.There is no light in the room and the projector is more than bright enough 2000 lumens. I tried the projector out on the white dining room wall and was more than happy with the bright clear picture . I adjusted the size of the picture to 102",the size of my wall in the theatre. what i am wondering about would a ready built screen make any difference to the sharpness of the picture. Has anybody compared the the Difference ,if any ,it makes ???????? alan

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Screen

alan monro said:
I am building my home theatre. I am at the stage of trying to decide whether to use a screen or paint the wall flat white.There is no light in the room and the projector is more than bright enough 2000 lumens. I tried the projector out on the white dining room wall and was more than happy with the bright clear picture . I adjusted the size of the picture to 102",the size of my wall in the theatre. what i am wondering about would a ready built screen make any difference to the sharpness of the picture. Has anybody compared the the Difference ,if any ,it makes ???????? alan
I have used all types of projection screens throughout the years (standard 16/35 mm projection) plus of course "white walls" and found all to be very acceptable. If you have enough light output a flat white paint will work out perfectly. When I was using portable projection screens "Matte White" was always my favorite because it has very little light drop off no matter where you sit.

I believe you will be perfectly happy with the flat white paint.

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
There is actually a paint that made for home theater use that makes the wall a screen. I don't know the name, but I talked to an installer one time who told me that it really worked well. May want to consider that as an option.

Enjoy,
X

A

alan monro

Audioholic Intern
From alan

Thanks a lot to all that take the time to pass on their knowledge and experience to me . kind Regards alan

Y

yakuzaboss1975

Enthusiast
alan monro said:
a friend of mine used countertop laminate for his 100 inch screen. the color of the laminate is not white but a very light grey. looks fantastic.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis