Should I upgrade my Denon Avr 650h?

K

koolbuoy

Audiophyte
Hi all. New to the group and seeking recommendations whether I should upgrade my existing Denon Avr 650h.
I got the reveiver couple of years back and used it with Klipsch Quintet speakers and a Klipsch Sw 450 sub for my 5.1 system.
I changed my apartment a year back to a bigger one. My living room is approx 17*20. I recently upgraded my front and rear speakers to the R41M, got a R52C for the center channel, and the Klipsch RP 1000sw for the subwoofer which is amazing.
My existing receiver works fine and handles it but I'm not sure if I'm missing the full potential of my speakers. I like a warmer signature sound and confused between Sony An1000, Denon Avr x2800h, and the Marrantz cinema 60. If I buy a new one, I prefer getting a 7.1 for future considerations.
Experts here, do you think my existing receiver is sufficient to handle my room and speakers or should I upgrade to a newer one with more power? Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all. New to the group and seeking recommendations whether I should upgrade my existing Denon Avr 650h.
I got the reveiver couple of years back and used it with Klipsch Quintet speakers and a Klipsch Sw 450 sub for my 5.1 system.
I changed my apartment a year back to a bigger one. My living room is approx 17*20. I recently upgraded my front and rear speakers to the R41M, got a R52C for the center channel, and the Klipsch RP 1000sw for the subwoofer which is amazing.
My existing receiver works fine and handles it but I'm not sure if I'm missing the full potential of my speakers. I like a warmer signature sound and confused between Sony An1000, Denon Avr x2800h, and the Marrantz cinema 60. If I buy a new one, I prefer getting a 7.1 for future considerations.
Experts here, do you think my existing receiver is sufficient to handle my room and speakers or should I upgrade to a newer one with more power? Thanks!
Changing receivers will not make a lick of difference. If you don't like the sound you change the speakers. Given your speaker selection, I can see why you want a warmer sound. Warm and Klipsch are not a match, not even close. I personally think Klipsch speakers are designed to reproduce program that I would consider a filthy racket.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My existing receiver works fine and handles it but I'm not sure if I'm missing the full potential of my speakers.
It's a very common feeling. But I think you are fine with your current AVR.

If you need more features that your current AVR does not have (more speakers, etc.), then it would make sense to upgrade.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
As mentioned, Klipsch speakers are not noted for a neutral/warm sound, if Music is your preference. For DD movies, your existing speakers will work fine. Your existing speakers maybe considered on the shouty side, by many. Many people do like Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Your current AVR is 5.1 and the only upgrade would be to a 7.1 channel unit, primarily. It is all in the speakers you buy, for the tonal sound that is pleasing to your ears, plus, what your budget will afford.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't realize you started multiple threads, my response is in your other one. Maybe a mod can combine them....

K

koolbuoy

Audiophyte
Changing receivers will not make a lick of difference. If you don't like the sound you change the speakers. Given your speaker selection, I can see why you want a warmer sound. Warm and Klipsch are not a match, not even close. I personally think Klipsch speakers are designed to reproduce program that I would consider a filthy racket.
I got a used Infinity il36c center speaker today for just $75 to try my luck and whoa! So much more clarity and now I don't think I need to upgrade my receiver anyway! Thanks for the advise. I guess this center is comparable to the Klipsch rp line.

K

koolbuoy

Audiophyte
As mentioned, Klipsch speakers are not noted for a neutral/warm sound, if Music is your preference. For DD movies, your existing speakers will work fine. Your existing speakers maybe considered on the shouty side, by many. Many people do like Klipsch bookshelf speakers. Your current AVR is 5.1 and the only upgrade would be to a 7.1 channel unit, primarily. It is all in the speakers you buy, for the tonal sound that is pleasing to your ears, plus, what your budget will afford.
Exactly I think especially the center sounded somewhat muffled in music as well as to some extent in movies. Went ahead and replaced the R52c with an Infinity il36c and totally satisfied now. It's much more clearer and the bass is really good so I had to lower my subwoofer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind most centers are compromises to start due the generally required orientation....glad you got an improvement there. Is it optimally aimed at your ears and placed on/in furniture?

K

koolbuoy

Audiophyte
Keep in mind most centers are compromises to start due the generally required orientation....glad you got an improvement there. Is it optimally aimed at your ears and placed on/in furniture?
Yes I have a Kato angled speaker stand which helps the center aimed at ear!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Your AVR is just fine. Look at speakers which means you need some type of budget.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis