Should I sell my amp or keep and use it????

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I previously had a Denon AVR-X4200W and, with a 7.1.2 system, I needed an external amp to power it all so I purchased the Onkyo M-5010 to power the overhead speakers. I've since upgraded to the Marantz SR6012 with enough power to process all 9 speaker channels. I'm not sure what the SR6012 offers per channel with all channels driven. I do know that the Onkyo amp specifies 75 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC). Should I use this amp in my current setup or just sell it?

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I kept mine. Even after moving to very effiecient speakers that dont need much power. If you already have it, why not? Maybe these receivers will last longer if they dont have to work so hard.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I was concerned that the power would be less. I guess it really doesnt matter because my listening room is pretty small.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. You don't have to worry about ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN, unless you use the all-channel or Multi-channel Stereo mode. So for discrete Dolby Atmos, you don't have to worry about all-channels driven.

2. Surround speakers (including ceiling Atmos speakers) don't require that much power. And most ceiling speakers are only rated for 10-100 Watts anyway. :D

3. I don't think there is a clear right/wrong here. If you need to remove the extra amp to clear the clutter, that's fine. If you want to use the extra amp to alleviate the power demands on your AVR, that's fine.

4. If there is a chance you may go to 7.1.4 later, keep the amp.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I went ahead and hooked the amp up to my left and right main speakers. I'm sure the wattage is less than the Marantz AV receive provides but I'm just guess the quality of the amps will be better coming from the Onkyo since both amplifiers are about the same size. I did place the Onkyo on Craigslist and will just continue to use it until it sells.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I previously had a Denon AVR-X4200W and, with a 7.1.2 system, I needed an external amp to power it all so I purchased the Onkyo M-5010 to power the overhead speakers. I've since upgraded to the Marantz SR6012 with enough power to process all 9 speaker channels. I'm not sure what the SR6012 offers per channel with all channels driven. I do know that the Onkyo amp specifies 75 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC). Should I use this amp in my current setup or just sell it?
The Marantz is 2 year newer so the processing part is an upgrade but not the amp section. The Denon X4000 series should be compared to the Marantz SR7000 series. The AVR-X4200W is actually slightly more powerful, and have better audio specs than the SR6012.

You should consider keeping the Onkyo amp in case you want to try 7.1.4. You are right about the amp is not as powerful as the AVR's internal amps, but it should be able to power two of the Atmos channels.

The reviews linked below include bench test results of the power amp section and that should give you some idea of the 2, 5, and 7 channel driven outputs.

http://audiovision.de/denon-avr-x4200w-test/

http://audiovision.de/marantz-sr6012-test/

1542140815754.png

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
If you have the room and pre outs as you seem to have and use, do it. I kept my old powerful Onky for its amp section and my much older Yam power amps
as I didn't want to get into the selling process, didn't need the small cash from them, nor the heart to part with good gear. Made room for them. Why not.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
With the Marantz SR series of receivers, there have never been complaints or any comments reported about an under power performance with all channels driven. I remember having read at one time that Marantz were guaranteeing a percentage of 70% of a single channel power rating for each channel on an all channel operation.
That would mean the ACD testing would reveal that your SR6012 should provide 77 watts per channel with ACD, a sufficient performance that can meet about any demand on a 9 channel surround system.

I own a SR5010 which I am now using as a pre-pro. The reason I am using it as an AVP has nothing to do with its ACD power performance. First, I need external amplification for actively bi-amping the 3 front channels of my HT. I also opted for external amplification with a 4 channel QSC DCA 1824, a pro audio amp for driving the surround speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis