Should I mix Martin Logan electrostat with boxed speakers?

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
This sounds like a foolish question and I think I know the answer but still going to ask because I found such a good deal on Martin Logan . I currently have a 7.2 channel setup and was thinking about getting these and running it with my Elac center channel. I currently have 3way Elac floor standing and Elac center for front and Sony 3 way in rear . I plan on keeping the Elac center and running the MLs up front.

what do you think ? Probably best to have all 4 Martin Logan’s instead ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Probably be okay, but best to have all ML or all ELAC.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think you would want MLs for all 3 up front, so you'd want to factor in the price of the ESL center. It will work with the current center, but the front stage will sound more cohesive with it. For 2ch music obviously, it won't be an issue, but you'll notice it for movies/TV.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I always found it very difficult to match ESL's to boxes (specifically boxed subs)

But that was in the days before Audyssey and Dirac which both do some adjustment of impulse response - the matching may be easier today than it was 15 years ago.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've listed electrostatic speakers in a store some years ago. I found their sound very warm and pleasing; however, they also have an incredibly narrow sweet spot. Outside of it, the sound quality was just okay.
Maybe a new design addresses this somewhat. YMMV

TBH: You already have great speakers. To step it to a whole new level up and have zero second thoughts about the upgrade, my 2c is to save up a bit more and get these speakers: https://philharmonicaudio.com/

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've listed electrostatic speakers in a store some years ago. I found their sound very warm and pleasing; however, they also have an incredibly narrow sweet spot. Outside of it, the sound quality was just okay.
Maybe a new design addresses this somewhat. YMMV

TBH: You already have great speakers. To step it to a whole new level up and have zero second thoughts about the upgrade, my 2c is to save up a bit more and get these speakers: https://philharmonicaudio.com/
Most ESL speakers are dreadful beamers. That is because all frequencies are radiated by a large diaphragm. Peter Walker of Quad is the only guy who ever cracked that problem in his ESL 63. This was solved with delay lines within the diaphragm.

If you like electrostatics then Quad are the best performers.

I recently upgraded this Quad system for someone. I had not heard the Quad ESLs for some time and was stunned once more how good they were.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
Most ESL speakers are dreadful beamers. That is because all frequencies are radiated by a large diaphragm. Peter Walker of Quad is the only guy who ever cracked that problem in his ESL 63. This was solved with delay lines within the diaphragm.

If you like electrostatics then Quad are the best performers.

I recently upgraded this Quad system for someone. I had not heard the Quad ESLs for some time and was stunned once more how good they were.
They can also be purchased quite economically (used... with some sets dating back to the early 80's!), and parts for their maintenance/refurbishment are readily available...

They do however (like most ESL's) require a bit of "breathing space" for best results.At one stage I ran a 4.0 surround setup using a pair of ESL989's front and a pair of ESL63's rear.... I still miss them... domestic peace and space requirements forced me to replace them with something more ordinary... (gallo nucleus ref 3.2)

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Outside of the beaming effect I think you would be fine. If in fact you enjoy 2 ch audio then you may be better than fine ! But.......... how big of a room are you expecting those 'Little Logans' to fill ? and can you get them off the front wall enough to do them justice ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reminds me of the time when I had the Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1 dipolar towers. Linkwitz didn't make a "Center" speaker and I didn't want to buy a 3rd tower for the center. So I used the KEF Reference 201/2 bookshelf for the Center and Surrounds.

I figured that 2Ch Music listening was more critical and important than movies. So for music, I just used the Linkwitz 2Ch.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis