should i mess with core voltage?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i just ditched catalyst control center for msi afterburner. first thing i noticed was it gives me the option to mess with more settings that ccc did. it has an auto fan speed thing that WORKS!!!! :D but i can also mess with the core voltage, core clock and memory clock. now my clock speeds are the lowest ccc would let me set them because any higher would cause an apocalypse of artifacts. i have discussed this quite a bit before. you all said that its COMPLETELY a hardware problem but i said it was also partly a software problem (when (if im lucky) the card's driver crashed, all the artifacts went away). half the ime when i start my computer it has artifacts and will crash if i give it enough time so i just restart it again and its fine. that takes about 30 secs so im fine with it. anyways im wondering if i mess with the core voltage i might be able to return to near default clock settings. current voltage is 1262mV core clock is 500MHz (900 default) memory clock is 450MHz (about 1000 default)

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
Haven't messed with overclocking in quite some time now since updating to modern multi-core processors, but in the old days when you overclocked you had to bump the core voltage a touch keep the processor running stable. I'd try bumping it in increments and if you still have crashes and overly high temps, back it off a bit and back off the overclock til it runs stable. I've given up on overclocking, I just upgraded to a better processor to save the trouble, and not worry about burning up a chip, and then have to buy a used one to replace it, and have more to worry about what kind of shape it's going to be in.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
I'd set it to 11.
woah upped the clocks a bit and set voltage to 1112mV and it works. the artifacts were starting because i increased the clocks first but they went away when i dropped the voltage

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Well I set it to default clocks and dropped it another 1000 mV and it died. Any thoughts? Maybe try only dropping it 500 this time?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
it survived furmark just fine... slow as always but it did just fine.. apparently 1400mV is also a good setting but ill save that for tomorow. i also just realized 6790's have about the same specs and are pretty cheap... bike comes first though :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis