Should I import Speakers from the US into INDIA

D

dyno_rulez

Audiophyte
Several times while browsing for speakers we in India are swayed away looking at the cost of the item in US.
Speakers in the US are really very cheap when compared to India, and most of us are left wondering what if there was a way to import them.

Well I was on the same path and this is what I figured.
Firstly the customs duty on importing speakers (1 speaker in an enclosure or >1 speakers in an enclosure) duty works out to ~30%
Note, this is applicable to the Product Cost + Shipping + Insurance charges.
Shipping generally courier companies charge ~ Rs 300 / 50gm
Speakers obviously weigh a lot so there is scope for bargaining and you might be able to bring the cost down to Rs 400-450 / kg

So think about this option... you might just end up saving some money.

Personally I wouldnt want to buy subwoofers from there, because they have active components and may need warranty claims in case there is a hum issue.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Total import cost, warranty work and replacement parts may not offset the in country cost. Not to exclude the headaches to accomplish this.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If I were in India, I would be looking at DIY speakers. It get a lot cheaper if all you have to do is import drivers. Make the cabinet yourself.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
There are some very reasonably priced, very good speakers here. You may not be able to get your dream speakers as soon as you would like, but I think you could still be very happy. I would import them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis