should i get a new cd player?

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
Hey everyone,
Im tight on money and putting together a stereo. I have DB Systems DB-1B Preamp and two DB Systems DB-6A power amps. I have no speakers but Im probably getting some lower end Paradigms. I have an old Sony CDP CE405 CD player sitting around. I dont know anything about this cd player really. Is it total garbage or was it at least a decent buy back in the day? Im very short on money so tops I would spend on a new cd player would be 300 for now atleast. The CDP CE405 is a 5 disc changer which is kind of a pain to me id rather have a single disc player. If i bought another one would i see a big improvement in sound for the price range i listed? Is it worth it at all to get a new one? If so what would you guys recommend?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
Personally I think you would be better off spending your money on some speakers and just get a cheap CD player, they basically all sound the same anyway.

Check craiglist or Ebay.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, as long as it plays, I wouldn't even get a new CD player, I'd put ALL the money toward new speakers too.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hey everyone,
Im tight on money and putting together a stereo. I have DB Systems DB-1B Preamp and two DB Systems DB-6A power amps. I have no speakers but Im probably getting some lower end Paradigms. I have an old Sony CDP CE405 CD player sitting around. I dont know anything about this cd player really. Is it total garbage or was it at least a decent buy back in the day? Im very short on money so tops I would spend on a new cd player would be 300 for now atleast. The CDP CE405 is a 5 disc changer which is kind of a pain to me id rather have a single disc player. If i bought another one would i see a big improvement in sound for the price range i listed? Is it worth it at all to get a new one? If so what would you guys recommend?
Pickup a pair of Behringer 2031p's :D

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
Actually, as long as it plays, I wouldn't even get a new CD player, I'd put ALL the money toward new speakers too.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it does still play:rolleyes:

Pickup a pair of Behringer 2031p's :D
Not sure is this a joke? Where i come from behringer is the company you bring up when you want a good laugh.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure is this a joke? Where i come from behringer is the company you bring up when you want a good laugh.
For the price, their speakers aren't that bad, so no I don't think it was intended as a joke.

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
For the price, their speakers aren't that bad, so no I don't think it was intended as a joke.
Sorry then. Ive have much experience with Behringers Bass, Guitar, PA, and rack equipment and ive never heard anything i remotely liked. As a matter of fact the only piece of behringer equipment i actually own is broken right now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing I have from them is my Feedback Destroyer and it is not hooked up right now. When you take a look at the prices for their speakers, it will make sense, since we are talking under $200. They aren't the prettiest, but they do the job and compare well to some well reviewed speakers.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry then. Ive have much experience with Behringers Bass, Guitar, PA, and rack equipment and ive never heard anything i remotely liked. As a matter of fact the only piece of behringer equipment i actually own is broken right now.
Those are the best speaker in their class for build quality(<200) and have exceptional measured performance for the price.

Behringer has good products and they have junk.

The DCX2496 and EP2500 are both excellent devices along with the Behringer 2030/2031p speakers. Now the 2030/2031a are known to be defective in the amp section so avoid those if you know what's good for you. Don't even start on the other junk they make. I consider the 3 things above to be a diamond in the rough. If Behringer has burned you too bad then look at a pair of Ascend Acoustics. Heck look at them anyway. ;)

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Personally I think you would be better off spending your money on some speakers and just get a cheap CD player, they basically all sound the same anyway.

Check craiglist or Ebay.
Agreed 100% - changing your CD player won't help much; putting that money into speakers will help much more.

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
Only reason i thought it was a joke is cause im looking at Paradigm monitor 7,9, or 11s or SE3s which obviously dont compare to the Behringer speakers listed. This is my fault though i didnt specify much about what speakers i was looking at. As you can see i am putting the money towards speakers and not a new cd player as of now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You might be surprised. With a good sub, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a tower and a well put together 2.1 setup. If you are looking at 9s or 11s, then I'd definitely be stepping up to the 60s in the Studio line. Per above, 20s with a good sub will best the 7s or 9s.

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
You might be surprised. With a good sub, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a tower and a well put together 2.1 setup. If you are looking at 9s or 11s, then I'd definitely be stepping up to the 60s in the Studio line. Per above, 20s with a good sub will best the 7s or 9s.
Interesting advice however studio 60s are twice as much as the monitor 9s and spending as much as the 11s is already pushing my budget. Getting Studio 20s with a nice sub would also be out of my price range. I will probably end up getting monitor 9s but hopefully i can mange to get a little more money and get the SE3 speakers.

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
As everyone has said before, try to audition everything you can, look for dealers in your area, and don't rush anything, you will be happier in the end (and so will your bank account). To answer your original question.....if it plays CD's then keep it and invest the money elswhere.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I have the Behringers and Paradigm Atoms and the Behringers easily best the Atoms. With a good sub, the Behringers would give the Monitor 9s a run for their money (IMHO of course) The Monitor series isn't generally considered highest value series (doesn't mean they don't sound good, just that they may not be the best "deal"), so be sure to audition a good variety of speakers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
As a former owner of many Paradigms over the years, I agree with skers; the Monitor line isn't going to offer the highest value for your money. I would definitley audition as many as you can first. If you like the Paradigm sound, check out www.ascendacoutsics.com They are closer to the Studios in sound with the cost of the Monitors.

JesseP

JesseP

Junior Audioholic
As a former owner of many Paradigms over the years, I agree with skers; the Monitor line isn't going to offer the highest value for your money. I would definitley audition as many as you can first. If you like the Paradigm sound, check out www.ascendacoutsics.com They are closer to the Studios in sound with the cost of the Monitors.
Thanks il look into them. The more i look into this kind of stuff the more im tempted to try to find some used Studio 60s or 100s. Any advice on buying used besides try to hear them first?

PSWii60

PSWii60

Full Audioholic
The great thing about the forums is the mixed advice you will get on recommendations. The worst thing is the mixed advice you will get on recommendations. So the end result is that it just confuses the hell out of you. The only advice I can give is, don't buy any speakers unless you can hear them first (i know you said any other advice, but if you have never heard Paradigm's then it's the only advice I can offer you.) There are many people on this forum that despise the sound of Paradigm's, but there are just as many who love them. The question is which group do you fall into?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis