Should I box in & insulate around ceiling speakers?

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I bought a pair of Infinity ESR-210 speakers for use in-ceiling. I built mounts out of a 1x2 frame & 3/8" plywood wich work fine. I tried them out before the ceiling gets installed & found the bass lacking & the sound somewhat tinny. Would insulating around them & boxing in the ends help? If so, what type of insulation would be best? Hard styrofoam or fiberglass?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Topher said:
I bought a pair of Infinity ESR-210 speakers for use in-ceiling. I built mounts out of a 1x2 frame & 3/8" plywood wich work fine. I tried them out before the ceiling gets installed & found the bass lacking & the sound somewhat tinny. Would insulating around them & boxing in the ends help? If so, what type of insulation would be best? Hard styrofoam or fiberglass?
I am installing in-ceiling speakers myself. Take a look at my webshots photos and see what I used. Sound Enclosures. And they come with insulation already inside.

T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
I bought some sound insulation from Home Depot, lined the box, closed off the ends with mdf & sealed them with caulking. With the speakers hanging from the mounting tabs, the sound is different, but not the greatest. Pushing them up to close off the box makes a dramatic difference. There's a fair bit of bass, although they don't play too loud. I sure hope the drywall goes up soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis