short DIY stands for towers?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I know this can go in the DIY forum, or perhaps the acoustics subforum, but oh well. I'd like to build some cheap stands about a foot tall for three towers. Aesthetics are completely unimportant, as they will not be visible.

I was thinking perhaps getting a sheet of MDF, and making three boxes, but three sides left open (bottom, front and back for instance). Does anyone see issues with this, or have a better solution, or even cheaper solution?

Then for decoupling from the stands, anyone have a certain cheap material to recommend? Thanks!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I know this can go in the DIY forum, or perhaps the acoustics subforum, but oh well. I'd like to build some cheap stands about a foot tall for three towers. Aesthetics are completely unimportant, as they will not be visible.

I was thinking perhaps getting a sheet of MDF, and making three boxes, but three sides left open (bottom, front and back for instance). Does anyone see issues with this, or have a better solution, or even cheaper solution?

Then for decoupling from the stands, anyone have a certain cheap material to recommend? Thanks!
3/4" MDF would work - you can probably get away with 1/2". I would think that with towers sitting on them, having only 3 sides would not be rigid enough. If you want to leave 3 sides open, you will need to brace 2 of the open sides, say front and back. If you are trying to economize on material, make some corner braces for the open sides. If the amount of material used isn't important, it would be simpler to just make it 5-sided, leaving the bottom open.

As for de-coupling material, you can use flooring foam underlay. It's spongy enough to de-couple, but rigid enough that your speakers won't topple over.

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
so you would screw 2 sides to a top plate? seems very unstable to me.

You can decouple them with that blu-tack that is used for posters...

but i would come up with a better design...maybe a top and bottom the same size as the towers...and then build a 4 sided square to use as a spacer between the top and bottom plate. use a router to crate a dado in the top and bottom plate to hold the middle. paint it all black and maybe throw some lead shot in for some weight.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks guys. The whole reason I don't want an enclosed box is due to my fear of significant resonances. Maybe I am being paranoid for no good reason. *goes to look up weight specs* . . . 42 lbs each.

Ok, maybe I'll just leave two sides open. And have an MDF bottom plate as well. One brace in the middle perhaps, leaving it "open" . . . ?

*goes off to google flooring foam underlay*
. . . edit: oh duh, that stuff . . . hm I'm suspecting I could find better decoupling material? I guess it depends on thickness and mass . . .

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
If you make an enclosed MDF box, sand fill it to dampen the resonances.

M

miniSQ

Junior Audioholic
screw a top and bottom plate to a 10" long piece of 8x8.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't dis the cinder blocks, they're currently acting as risers for my second row of seating :D

College living FTW!

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Ah, of course, cinder blocks! I'll use those 1ft square blocks. While the depth of my speakers surpass 1 ft, the feet separation do not. Thanks Doug! Now, that was easy. :D

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
No 20-something's living room is complete without cinder blocks. :p

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Haha, if looks aren't important that is the way to go.

You can put some black fabric over them if looks ever to become of some importance. Just some matte black fabric from a fabric store...tuck it under and you wouldn't even need to sow it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Haha, if looks aren't important that is the way to go.

You can put some black fabric over them if looks ever to become of some importance. Just some matte black fabric from a fabric store...tuck it under and you wouldn't even need to sow it.
Everything will be hidden behind a false wall and AT screen. I've got a full roll of black speaker cloth, and Seymour DIY fabric & Fidelo velvet are now en route. :) I recently painted a good portion of my ceiling black with Behr Mouse Ears paint, and some very cheap black fabric for some touchup, and improved daytime light control . . . . As of now, pictures come out totally black even with window open and track lighting at max! :D (I'm a camera retard though, should figure out exposure time . . .)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Ah, of course, cinder blocks! I'll use those 1ft square blocks. While the depth of my speakers surpass 1 ft, the feet separation do not. Thanks Doug! Now, that was easy. :D

Their weight would make them nice and stable also.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Everything will be hidden behind a false wall and AT screen. I've got a full roll of black speaker cloth, and Seymour DIY fabric & Fidelo velvet are now en route. :) I recently painted a good portion of my ceiling black with Behr Mouse Ears paint, and some very cheap black fabric for some touchup, and improved daytime light control . . . . As of now, pictures come out totally black even with window open and track lighting at max! :D (I'm a camera retard though, should figure out exposure time . . .)

Got a tripod? Without knowing what camera you are using, set the camera to "Bulb" (at least thats what it is called on a 5D) for long exposures...press and hold for longer exposures. Just be gentle not to shake it. :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
No 20-something's living room is complete without cinder blocks. :p
Cinder blocks?!?!? Sure if you were in your 20's way back in the 50's or 60's. Everyone knows that the modern college student uses milk crates. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis