Sherwood Newcastle R-872

R

rded

Audioholic
Hi All!I know that the R-972 is about a month or two away from release How does this receiver compare to Onkyo 875 and/or Denon 3808? Is it an "audiophile grade" receiver?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it's a higher end receiver. It's going to be very competitive with those models you mentioned. The problem is, where is the darn thing?:eek: It's been announced for release very long ago, it was supposed to be one of the first HDMI 1.3 capable receivers in the market. I guess Sherwood get's really wrapped up in manufacturing receivers for other companies, must be their big payout.;)

R

rded

Audioholic
Yes, it's a higher end receiver. It's going to be very competitive with those models you mentioned. The problem is, where is the darn thing?:eek: It's been announced for release very long ago, it was supposed to be one of the first HDMI 1.3 capable receivers in the market. I guess Sherwood get's really wrapped up in manufacturing receivers for other companies, must be their big payout.;)

I was told by a reputable dealer that its sounds better than Denon and Onkyo. Is this true?

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
I doubt any receiver sounds any better than any other receiver at a similar price point. It is all about features that make one model more appropriate for an individual based on system requirements and desires.

D

docblack2

Audiophyte

I went to the CES in Jan. and talked w/ a Sherwood rep who said the 972 would be released this May. It will have what appears to be the most advanced calibration/EQ system avail. even more so than the Onkyo 875 unit.

R

rded

Audioholic
I doubt any receiver sounds any better than any other receiver at a similar price point. It is all about features that make one model more appropriate for an individual based on system requirements and desires.

Is that right? I thought the kind of DACs they use make a difference- sime more musical than others.The real question I have is that will this receiver be able to drive a 4 ohm speaker? I know my onkyo 605 will not but then again its an entry level receiver! just FYI I'm thinking about gettin Sonus faber Grand Pianos or Dynaudio 3.4s. The only reason I am not going with better brands say arcams or NADs, Anthems etc is because non of them do hdmi 1.3 with all the bells and whistles. I am considering the integra 9.8 pre/pro....

R

rded

Audioholic
I went to the CES in Jan. and talked w/ a Sherwood rep who said the 972 would be released this May. It will have what appears to be the most advanced calibration/EQ system avail. even more so than the Onkyo 875 unit.

I know its suppose to be hdmi 1.3b! I really like the arcam diva 350 receiver but they dont have newer models out yet!

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The DAC has been very refined over the years, it's hard to differentiate between similar cost DACs sometimes even lower cost ones. Speakers, room acoustics, and source material (not the hardware itself, rather the software) will dictate your SQ. Most receivers are transparent, not leaving a mark on the sound (as neutral is possible). If you have 4 ohm speakers, or plan getting them, the amplification will make a difference as well. The amplification only really makes a difference when more power is called for, unless the amplifier you chose is either extraordinarily cheap or defective in some way.

The R-872 and R-972 should both handle 4 ohm loads, it's unlikely they will do as well as the Onkyo however. The Onkyo TX-SR805 and TX-SR875 bench tests are very impressive (both receivers run very hot for receivers due to the amplifier design). If you should chose Onkyo you will need to make sure they are well ventilated or force cooled (by an external powered quiet fan).

Another suggestion would be to look heavily at receivers like the Yamaha RX-V663 (slated for release in April) and pairing it with a solid power amplifier. Another suggestion would be to get on-line and get the Emotiva LMC-2 preamp processor with the XPA-5 power amplifier. The Emotiva XPA-5 is a 200 watts x 5 amplifier and the LMC-2 pre/pro features HDMI 1.3 along with the new Genesis DCDi scaler (which will compete with the higher end scalers available from Anchor Bay Tech 'Yamaha RX-Z11', and the Reon HQV Realta processor 'Integra DTC-9.8').

If you chose the Yamaha RX-V663 + power amplifier or Emotiva XPA-5 (which could be used with the Yamaha RX-V663) + LMC-2 you have the flexibility to power most types of speaker arrays because you will have that power amplifier all the time, even after you upgrade to a better or more current preamp/processor in the future.:)

R

rded

Audioholic
The R-872 and R-972 should both handle 4 ohm loads, it's unlikely they will do as well as the Onkyo however. The Onkyo TX-SR805 and TX-SR875 bench tests are very impressive (both receivers run very hot for receivers due to the amplifier design). If you should chose Onkyo you will need to make sure they are well ventilated or force cooled (by an external powered quiet fan)
As I said, I am looking into the dtc-9.8 by integra(pretty much an onkyo875 or 905) and maybe an outlaw audio amp. How is the integra 9.8 musically? I listen mostly to heavy metal and alternative music...:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
As I said, I am looking into the dtc-9.8 by integra(pretty much an onkyo875 or 905) and maybe an outlaw audio amp. How is the integra 9.8 musically? I listen mostly to heavy metal and alternative music...:D
I couldn't say on the Integra's musicality, but as I mentioned before, the preamp, receiver, amplifier have little affect on the SQ (assuming there is adequate power and the equipment being used isn't damaged or malfunctioning). I would go with Emotiva's amplifiers over Outlaw, far better bang for buck and they look much nicer too. The Emotiva XPA-5 is a monster amplifier.

NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
there is no way you can convince me the new sherwood is "high end".

I'll give anything a shot, but i am highly doubtful of it's performance.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

*sigh*

What about Teac? Every company has it's good and crappy products now and again. Sony used to make some really good stuff, now just look at it.

R

rded

Audioholic

I read your ohter post and will consider NADs when they do Hdmi 1.3a or higher. Its just that I havent really hear much about Sherwood Newcastle receivers... Did a little digging on other forums(AVS) and read nothing but good statements about them:)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Slightly OT, anybody heard anything about an upgrade/replacement for the P-965?

L

loxllxol

Enthusiast
What's a reputable site one can get this Sherwood at a discounted price?

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General

What your failing to realize is this is the Newcastle line from Sherwood. Not the regular Sherwood stuff. There is a big difference. Sherwood Newcastle competes with all the major brands. Including NAD and Rotel.

R

rded

Audioholic
What your failing to realize is this is the Newcastle line from Sherwood. Not the regular Sherwood stuff. There is a big difference. Sherwood Newcastle competes with all the major brands. Including NAD and Rotel.
Amen Brother!:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis