Sheriff says Ga. toddler killed by 7 dogs in yard as mother, others were inside house

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
People need to train their dogs properly. I would trust a well trained pit around a toddler, in fact from what I've heard you should be more worried about yourself if you have a pit around a toddler as they can become very protective of children.

What's unfortunate is this great big feedback loop with "mean dogs." People hear stories about how pits etc are murderous killers and decide that they want a murderous killer dog. Get one, train it to be aggressive, it mauls someone, rinse repeat.

jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
The sad thing is some folks think their dog is unfailingly protective of their children. In many cases, this is true. Yet given the right set of circumstances the dog will behave aggressively when the child does something that, in dog language, does not jive.

For example, we have 2 Yorkshire Terriers. When my 2 year old gets in either of the dog's face after chasing them around (under our watch, never to the extent of abuse), the dog will eventually growl and/or bare teeth. Of course, we correct both the kid and the dog immediately. However, when you're talking about a 50 - 80 pound animal and a toddler the possibility for grave injury is high. The possibility of grievous injury goes through the roof without supervision.

I've even seen some news stories (where the child is killed or maimed) when the dog is allowed free reign in an infant's room/sleeping area.

Here's my point: It's a dog people, not your child, act accordingly. This type of thing really makes me lose my temper.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Pits aren't really the issue. They are highly intelligent, good dogs and can be trained appropriately. That typically is NOT the case though, they are either trained to be aggressive as mentioned or not trained at all which means they will behave like a dog. I also have to agree though, I still don't 100% trust even a well trained one but that goes for most dogs regardless. No matter how much we love them, they are still just dogs and the potential is always there.

Hate to say it, but I am sure this factors into the whole thing.

The sheriff said four generations of the same family shared the home, including the child's 18-year-old mother, grandparents and two uncles who are still young boys.

Georgia's babies haven't been doing very well lately: Georgia Teens Indicted for Shooting 13-Month-Old Baby in the Face | Fox News Latino
Georgia teenager has been indicted for killing a 13-month-old baby after shooting him in the face while trying to rob the child's mother.
Story didn't get much press for some reason.
Why would it? They have Newtown to use, so everything that happens after is irrelevant. ( :rolleyes: )

I read that one too and didn't feel like posting it. It is just another example of the ridiculous callousness of some of today's youth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Why would it? They have Newtown to use, so everything that happens after is irrelevant. ( :rolleyes: )

I read that one too and didn't feel like posting it. It is just another example of the ridiculous callousness of some of today's youth.
I went back and added an eye roll to my rhetorical.:D
Just figured since the Treyvon Martin case was in the news for months.
Since this babies shooting case even got more interesting:
Ga. city official arrested in slain baby case
A coastal Georgia city official was arrested on charges of obstructing law enforcement and influencing a witness in the case involving a 13-month-old boy who was fatally shot last week.

M

menglish6

Audiophyte
I think the key here is the "7 dogs" more than anything else. My 80lb dog is extremely well behaved around the kids, but when I take him to the dog park and he starts "running with the pack" it's like he turns into a completely different animal (needless to say, we don't go to the crowded dog parks much).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think the key here is the "7 dogs" more than anything else. My 80lb dog is extremely well behaved around the kids, but when I take him to the dog park and he starts "running with the pack" it's like he turns into a completely different animal (needless to say, we don't go to the crowded dog parks much).
This is true. If there is an aggressive alpha in the pack that incites something, the rest will follow. Another factor could be that the baby fell down and was crying or something similar. In the wild dogs will see that as "weakest of the herd" and may attack simply based on that, especially with 7 of them there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis