av-man

av-man

Audioholic
I have recently met with a sales rep and I'm considering picking up this line for my seperates. If anyone has any input on the product I would like to hear some opinions.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I own a Sherbourne amp that I got second hand. I tried contacting Sherbourne because I was having problems with it, and they were far less than helpful. They did get back in touch with me, but couldn't provide me with local dealer names or any useful information about how much or even WHERE I could get the amplifier serviced.

I was very disappointed and had sent them several follow up emails to try to get that information. It seems like they are more of a mom & pop shop and just let some things fall through the cracks. The amp seems nice, and despite a cracked circuit board, all the connections seem to still be in place and the amp works fine. Weird, but it does work and sound good.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
av-man said:
I have recently met with a sales rep and I'm considering picking up this line for my seperates. If anyone has any input on the product I would like to hear some opinions.
Take a look here in your search for seperates:http://www.outlawaudio.com/products.html.
They have an excellent service department and very similar products, and their cost is less.
Although they can't be auditioned at an audio store, they come with a 30 day trial period, minus shipping of course.
I would also not forget to look at the flagship recievers from Yamaha, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, NAD, Sherwood etc..
;)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Also go to AV123.com and check out the emotiva amps and pre's. Like the post above stated outlawaudio.com is a great place to look too. Often times their proucts are nearly identical to much more expensive household name companies. Either way I'm sure you'd be happy. By the way one of the Emotiva 7 ch. amps weighs 115 lbs, that's pretty darn heavy, and something else to consider in addition to the extra room seperates take up. You may want to peruse the 40 pg. review on this site of the Denon 5805 as an alternative to seperates.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Did you want to buy them or sell them?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I called Sherbourn a while ago and asked them about upgrading or adding channels to their older model amps. It seems they are a very small company that, when I talked to them, weren't servicing anything bought second-hand. I still like the features on the 7/2100 better than most of the amps in their price range (c'mon, balanced inputs and bridgeable channels? What's not to like?); but I've never actually put my hands on one...and that might make a difference.

Bryan...new sub first-then I can shop for amps...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like Outlaw has these guys beat handsdown

when it comes to servicing. And they have been getting nothing but good reviews. You maay wanna reconsider

flyv65 said:
I called Sherbourn a while ago and asked them about upgrading or adding channels to their older model amps. It seems they are a very small company that, when I talked to them, weren't servicing anything bought second-hand. I still like the features on the 7/2100 better than most of the amps in their price range (c'mon, balanced inputs and bridgeable channels? What's not to like?); but I've never actually put my hands on one...and that might make a difference.

Bryan...new sub first-then I can shop for amps...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
read this article:

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/clone_prepros.php

Sherbourne and Outlaw buy similar spec products, and then do cosmetic upgrades and minor finishing adjustments. Sherbourne is a little more upscale and pricier than the Outlaw.

In my opinion, if you picked up the line, you would be counting heavily on WAF or audiophile narcissism to make your sales. It would be pretty rough to compete on a price versus performance level with mass-market Denons, Yamahas, etc, as well as some of the on-line stores like Outlaw unless you either have a huge city to use as a market base or live in a "snobby" area where things are bought because they are expensive, not because they are the best value.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Thanks for the input. I do currently sell quite a bit of Denon and I'm the only company certified to sell and install the 5805 in a 300 mile radius.
I have a few seperates available to me through distribution, (Aragon, Parasound, and in a pinch I can get some McIntosh) but I need a line that I can support. Wharfedale is going to re-introduce the Audio-lab line and I'll be a dealer for them when they do, but it will take time for the line to carry any weight in the industry.

As far as the Outlaw brand, I will do some research but I think I will be leaning to something a little more upper end.
I have also been offered the Bel Canto line but I'm not sure it is the right line for my area.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
surveyor said:
Take a look here in your search for seperates:http://www.outlawaudio.com/products.html.
They have an excellent service department and very similar products, and their cost is less.
Although they can't be auditioned at an audio store, they come with a 30 day trial period, minus shipping of course.
I would also not forget to look at the flagship recievers from Yamaha, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer, NAD, Sherwood etc..
;)
Sorry for the confusion, I did not absorb that you are looking to sell not buy!
I must have been suffering from a senior moment. :eek:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ooops my mistake

av-man said:
Thanks for the input. I do currently sell quite a bit of Denon and I'm the only company certified to sell and install the 5805 in a 300 mile radius.
I have a few seperates available to me through distribution, (Aragon, Parasound, and in a pinch I can get some McIntosh) but I need a line that I can support. Wharfedale is going to re-introduce the Audio-lab line and I'll be a dealer for them when they do, but it will take time for the line to carry any weight in the industry.

As far as the Outlaw brand, I will do some research but I think I will be leaning to something a little more upper end.
I have also been offered the Bel Canto line but I'm not sure it is the right line for my area.
I thought you were looking to buy as well, not sell. Well if your looking into mid and high end seperates, try these following Canadian goods.

1. Anthem www.anthemav.com
2. Bryston ( Probably the best warranty for electronics bar none.. (20 years) http://www.bryston.ca/
3. Simaudio http://simaudio.com/

Sorry about my earlier confusion

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
3db,
Thanks but my competitor in town already carries Anthem, and Bryston.
The Simaudio brand is interesting but listed to a dealer fairly close(about 50 miles south).
Believe it or not a furniture store here carries Lexicon and James loudspeakers, so they are not available( I really wanted Lexicon).
I would welcome any thoughts on other brands. I had not heard of Simaudio.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
av-man said:
I would welcome any thoughts on other brands. I had not heard of Simaudio.
They used to be known as Moon, and they make a pretty tight amp. A friend of mine has their W-5, a 2channel 195 wpc amp that really woke up his B&W CDM 9NTs.

Bryan...I'd take a Simaudio, too...if I could afford it...

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
You might also consider B&K which makes 5,7 and 12 channel amps as well as pre/pros. Also consider Macormack which is slightly pricier but less than Bryston and Sim-Audio Moon. Both are American which some prefer. I prefer an English speaking company for a pre/pro or receiver because I find the manuals are (usually) much better written than Japanese translations.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Definitely try to find out if B&W is taken in your area. Also, I would try to get Sonance for in-wall and amps. Rock solid stuff there. I am amazed/irked at how much Sonance stuff continues to sell for on eBay - even used.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
If you can swing some big $ what about looking at Krell? Marantz seems pretty well respected for projectors and other AV gear, then you've got Nad. Other than that and some of the posted ones I'm out of ideas. Maybe Macintosh for amps as well?

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply's.
I'm waiting on a return call from B&K. There are no dealers closer than 120 miles.
I looked at Krell a couple of years ago. I love the product but I think it is to high for my area. Maybe in 2 or 3 years we will have more money around here and I'll look at it again. Parasound and B&K are the two I'm leaning toward, but I might also look into Meridian. Sherbourne did not do so well with you folks so I'm scrapping that brand.
The Bel Canto line has been offered to me but its amp design is kind of radical. Very low heat but I'm not sure how well it would move.

B

Beowulf

Audioholic Intern
av-man said:
Thanks for the reply's.
I'm waiting on a return call from B&K. There are no dealers closer than 120 miles.
I'll throw in another vote for B&K ... they have great customer service, manufactured in North America, most all of the equipment is upgradeable and now that Tweeter is leaning towards receivers only, they don't stock B&K anymore. So with their equipment price point (entry to mid level high-end) they might be a good line to pick up. They have options for whole house systems as well which is a nice selling point.

zephyr24069

zephyr24069

Audiophyte
Over the past few months I have bought Sherbourn 7/2100 7-channel amp and PT-7010A pre/pro (same heritage as Sunfire and Emotiva pre/pro) and am very happy with the price/performance these units provide. They have impressive build quality and provide great sound at a price below what I would have expected. I have found all the folks at Sherbourn with whom I have spoken frequently including their President (Ron) to be incredibly open, helpful and good to deal with. I've heard units such as these that cost much more and honestly, what Sherbourn has packed into this 7-channel Amp and pre/pro is quite fantastic at their price-point or any other.

An example of my positive experience with their service would be the PT-7010A that I purchased a few weeks ago; within a few days of receiving the unit I found that the unit exhibited a noise spike and then system cut-out (no volume, power remained on) for any Dolby Digital, DTS or PCM signal coming in over the Fiber-In or Coax-In digital inputs. Sherbourn worked with me via phone to reproduce the problem and even when they could not in their lab units, they sent a replacement to my dealer for me with no further questions asked! The replacement unit did not exhibit the problem and has been working well for me ever since.

In short, I've found the folks at Sherbourn to be incredibly helpful and friendly both before and more importantly, after the sale is made!

D

dmcgrath

Audiophyte
bmxtrix

I was totally distressed to hear you comments. We work very hard to uphold our reputation and if you were treated as you claim, I am shocked.

Indeed we do not transfer our warranty to used products as is the case with most manufacturers. BUT, we always look after customers who have Sherbourn products. The service work is done in our facility in Boston by very experienced technicians. In most cases we even waive the fee if it is appropriate.

Our dealers, most of whom are custom installation companies without on-site technicians do not undertake repairs as part of their company service.

We always answer our e-mails on the day that they are sent and it is unheard of for us to not reply back in a timely fashion.

Our dealers are universal in their praise of our customer service and the reliability of our product line.

You are entitled to your feelings about Sherbourn and I'm sorry if your experience was not up to your expectations but we will continue to offer the best customer service possible.

Sincerely,

Dan McGrath
VP Sherbourn

ps I am rarely in these forums (a potential customer sent me your link) so I may not see your reply but please feel free to call me at our office 978-663-7385

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis