Sherbourn is Rotel?

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I was tinkering with the Bluetooth on my pre/pro last night, streaming some music from my phone. When my phone found my pre, it came up as Rotel. This left me wondering, did Sherbourn put their name on a Rotel pre, or did they just use a Rotel component for Bluetooth.

If it is a Rotel with a Sherbourn badge, Emotiva now has Rotel design. The new XMC-1 may be a Rotel based design.

The input buttons, volume knob have a Rotel look. The faceplate layout is somewhat similar.

If this is the case, it may be old news to some of you, but it was unknown to me. Does anyone have any knowledge on this?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They are both made in China. But I've never heard that Rotel was related to Sherbourn. I heard that Sherbourn and Emotiva are clones, but not with Rotel.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
This was Dan Laufmans' response:

"Jade Design does not make Rotel products.

Rotel is an OEM contractor for Sherbourn on the PT-7030. The PT-7030 uses a Rotel sourced Bluetooth module, and some PCB sub-assemblies.
Apparently, some of the BT modules were sent with improper programming. They should display Sherbourn when connected.

The PT-7030 is a highly modified variant of a Rotel OE decoder platform, specifically optimized for the CI market. It is assembled in our factory not Rotel's. And by the way, it is a fantastic product!

Rotel is not involved with any other Sherbourn or Emotiva models." END QUOTE

Someone else posted in the thread that some people use the owners manual of the Rotel 1572, as it is more in depth than the Sherbourn offering.
I haven't looked at photos, but I read if you cover up the bottom row of balanced outs, the 7030 looks like the Rotel.

So I guess the 7030 has some pedigree I didn't know about in it's blood line. I found this interesting.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This was Dan Laufmans' response:

"Jade Design does not make Rotel products.

Rotel is an OEM contractor for Sherbourn on the PT-7030. The PT-7030 uses a Rotel sourced Bluetooth module, and some PCB sub-assemblies.
Apparently, some of the BT modules were sent with improper programming. They should display Sherbourn when connected.

The PT-7030 is a highly modified variant of a Rotel OE decoder platform, specifically optimized for the CI market. It is assembled in our factory not Rotel's. And by the way, it is a fantastic product!

Rotel is not involved with any other Sherbourn or Emotiva models." END QUOTE

Someone else posted in the thread that some people use the owners manual of the Rotel 1572, as it is more in depth than the Sherbourn offering.
I haven't looked at photos, but I read if you cover up the bottom row of balanced outs, the 7030 looks like the Rotel.

So I guess the 7030 has some pedigree I didn't know about in it's blood line. I found this interesting.
I wouldn't be shocked if they were somehow related. There appears to be quite a few of clones or OEM products going around.

The biggest shocker to me was the $17,000 Simaudio pre-pro using a Denon AVR-23xx receiver as the processor on the inside. :D

And most people recall the Lexicon/Oppo clone. ATI make amps for "most amp companies in North America". ATI make amps for Lexicon too. So Lexicon use Oppo for their BD players and ATI for their amps. Pretty smart by Lexicon IMO. :D

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
The biggest shocker to me was the $17,000 Simaudio pre-pro using a Denon AVR-23xx receiver as the processor on the inside
Hmmm... I can tell you that some servers, (from the most famous computer company in the world), use laptops inside as their controllers. So you have a 6-figure server run by a $3k laptop. I don't know about the Simaudio, but I can see how it is possible to take a known/reliable foundation, and build on it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm... I can tell you that some servers, (from the most famous computer company in the world), use laptops inside as their controllers. So you have a 6-figure server run by a $3k laptop. I don't know about the Simaudio, but I can see how it is possible to take a known/reliable foundation, and build on it.
As long as it works great and people are willing to buy.

I wouldn't mind at all if ATI took a $1300 Denon X4000 and turned it into a $3000 ATI pre-pro. That way it would match the aesthetic of my ATI amps.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
It doesn't answer your specific question, but if you type in sherbourn.com in your browser, it goes to the Emotiva web site. Also, my Sherbourn 5 channel amp has one bad channel, so I called Emotiva, and they said they are the ones I should send it to if I wanted factory repairs.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
It doesn't answer your specific question, but if you type in sherbourn.com in your browser, it goes to the Emotiva web site. Also, my Sherbourn 5 channel amp has one bad channel, so I called Emotiva, and they said they are the ones I should send it to if I wanted factory repairs.
You may have figured this out already, but Emotiva owns Sherbourn. They bought out the manufacturer about 2 years ago. Don't quote me on that timeline.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis