Shapness Adjustment Does Nothing

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Today I got my new PZ77U hooked up to my DVD player via a BJC HDMI cable. (Only $32 and it's 15' long) My plan was to calibrate the TV and then run a break in disc on it. I noticed that the Sharpness adjustment made no difference in the picture.

I did a search on sharpness and read that anunaki? and Hi-Ho? both had some things to say regarding Panny settings. After 6 hours of break in I re-calibrated the TV with there advisements. I set the sharpness to -15 as was suggested but niether me or my girl could see the picture changing as the adjustment swung from -30 to +30. Upon re-calibration the only setting I changed due to a visible difference was Brightness. I took it from +6 down to +3.

My settings are as follows:
Contrast/Pic +23
Brightness + 3
Color/Sat 0
Tint/Hue - 5
Sharpness -15

Picture Mode Standard
Color Temp Warm
Color Mgmt Off
Video NR Off
Block NR On
Mosquito NR On
Black Level Light

The strange thing is that the sharpness adjustment did nothing on the LCD listed in my sig. On the Avia II disc's tutorial I could see what was suppose to happen but that's not what I saw durring the actual adjustment. Can anyone help me understand this? I'm gonna go watch Reservation Road as it's anamorphic widescreen and then continue the break in process.

How do the rest of the settings look?

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
try the mosquito off, most of the isf's ive seen have it off, just a suggestion

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
try the mosquito off, most of the isf's ive seen have it off, just a suggestion
Done! I had it on 'cause I read to have JPEG NR ON but did not have the option so I went with Mosquito NR instead. Not that that makes a lick of sense, even to me.

You get around a lot of ISF calibration? In the real world I don't know anybody who knows what it means. Tomorrow I'll re-check my adjustments. Even though my girl encouraged me to ask about the sharpness, I think 4 calibrations in one day might send her.

The movie looked awesome. I've got both TV's running off of the DVD player. The LCD in my sig is hooked up via component (480p) and the plasma is via HDMI (720p). The LCD got it's first Avia calibration today and did look pretty good, real good, on par with the plasma good. Right up until I calibrated the plasma. :) Twice. :D So I got to compare. I honestly never thought I would get to do something as silly as having 2 HDTV's playing the same DVD side by side.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
i ran the 150 hr break in last week just to be safe. Ive been invovled with 6 on site isf's, most of which were under similar room conditions, so i kept notes on settings. The calibtation disc setup ive have done have been close to the professional results, day being the most difference. Enjoy the new set

annunaki

annunaki

What are you using for calibration? I have noticed a big difference in the sharpness control if you know what you are looking for. The Panasonics are a bit better in this regard as it does not add as much as other sets I have seen.

I set up a TH42PX80 up for a customer recently with Avia and it had the most accurate color decoding of any set I have ever set up... without an ISF calibration. It was spot on. It was trickier to get the blue set up correctly, but once it was everything else was nearly perfect. An ISF calibration on this (TH42PX80U) set would have minimal impact, at least that would be my prediction.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm using Avia II. I could have gone down some on the pic/contrast but felt that I liked it there and while watching that 1 movie it was pretty nice. About the sharpness thing, I really don't get it. My girl and I both were staring away just dieing to notice a difference.

On my second time around with the Avia, the settings on the saturation and hue produced perfect matches on the red, green, and blue.

I appreciate your response.

-Alex

annunaki

annunaki

For sharpness, I look for any slight addition of white/change around the black edges on the "geometry" screens (grey with black lines) on the Avia I disc. I do not have Avia II, though I will add it soon.

Not sure if that helps you or not?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if that helps you or not?
I'll find out. :) In the tutorial the change is huge. Both my girl and I will be trying to see it tomorrow.
Again. :D
It's my first go round with a good calibration disc and with a TV like this so it's all fun still.

Who do we have around RI that does this kind of thing professionally?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis