S

samhfoley

Audioholic
Jinjuku,

thoughts on what settings I should leave my Onkyo on for movies? Music?? Is it really necessary to be switching the Xonar's frequency for each movie file I am playing depending on it's file type, encoding, etc?

Thanks as always for your input! Off to the USA for a month so I won't have time to mess with the system till I get back, but the new TV will be there then so that's nice!

-sam

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
hello? Anyone have suggestions on what setting to leave my Onkyo on while I run the HDAV Xonar 1.3 Slim?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
If your Xonar is doing the decoding, the Onkyo isn't going to be in a mode. It will just detect the incoming signal and output the channels accordingly.

For example, if it detects a stereo signal, it'll either go to Pro Logic or Stereo, depending on what you want it to do. To me, that setting is your preference.

If it detects 7 channels of audio coming in, that's what it's going to output. The decoder won't be doing anything to the incoming signal.

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
But whenever I select CBL/SAT, which is where my HTPC HDMI inputs to, it asks me which mode to set for movies. It's strange in that before I could use certain presets such as Dolby PLIIz, but with the Xonar I cannot even see that feature anymore on the Onkyo. Is that because my system is only 5.1?

Should I just leave the setting on pure video/audio? Cbl Direct?

Sorry for so many questions, just a bit confused! Thanks.
-Sam

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
it asks me which mode to set for movies.
This I don't get. How does your receiver know that a movie is coming in rather than a TV show, or a feed from a game console?

If your receiver has modes that you yourself can select based on the content, I understand what you're asking. It's a preset that you select based on the content. My Onkyo does the same thing. I can save a preset EQ setting and switch to it depending on the content I'm using.

If your Xonar is decoding everything and streaming LPCM audio to your receiver, you can EQ the input however you want. It's a personal preference. Does your receiver say LPCM when you're using the HTPC? If not, let me know what it says. I recommend leaving it alone until you're dissatisfied with the sound quality. Once you are, tweak the setting.

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
No you're right, they are modes that I select. I do not, however remember it saying LPCM. It says whatever mode I last selected when I was using movie/music setting. If I should be operating it while it is saying LPCM, how do I go about doing that? Thanks as always for your ongoing help.
-Sam

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis