Setting up of Yamaha HTR 5840

D

dagarshali

Enthusiast
Hi,
I had recently asked a question regarding the pink noise coming from all the speakers when I run a test tone from a THX certified DVD. I was advised to replace the yellow, white and red cables with a coaxial cable and S-video cable. Thanks for this advise and now the humming noise is goine. However, when I test using that THX optimiser, when the DVD says left speaker, i get the tone from left. Same thing happens for the center and the right speaker. But when it says Surround left, i hear the pink noise from both the right and the left. I am not sure why. Also, my receiver is a 6.1 system and i have a 5.1 quintet II speakers from klipsch. I have a ksw-12 sub as well. I have set the number of speakers in the receiver menu to 5. inspite of this, when the THX optimizer plays the surround back(which I don't have), i still hear from the two surround speakers (left and right). Can you tell me what is wrong and if so, the remedy.

thanks a bunch,
Vishwa

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
it may be doing it to matrix the sound between the two speakers to give the illusion of a rear center

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The older Dolby ProLogic surround mode plays both the left and right surrounds simultaneously (they are not discrete, like Dolby Digital). I would check to see if you have the receiver set to ProLogic mode or if the THX optimiser disc has a choice of tests and you inadvertanly chose ProLogic.

The other thing to check is your digital assignments. If you connected the coax cable to coax digital 1, then you must tell the receiver that the DVD input maps to coax 1 so you will get the digital signal. You must also set the dvd player to output 'bitstream', not PCM; otherwise the dvd player will convert the digital signal to analog (which could explain why it sounds like it is in ProLogic).

The fact that you hear the side surrounds when the test is supposedly testing the rear surrounds, indicates that perhaps you have the side surround speakers connected to the wrong speaker binding posts on the receiver. Make sure they are connected to the terminals for the side surrounds - not rear.

I would make sure your digital connection is correct and the assignment made properly and then use the receiver's internal test tones. If each speaker plays when it should using the internal test tones, then you know everything is connected properly and you can then use the THX optimiser disc if you like.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
I have the 5840 and i would definately suggest what the post above is stating.. I am only running 3 speakers at the time ( l,c,r ) and didnt have any issues whatsoever getting it set up properly. I would think the problem lies somewhere in the decoding programs that you are using to decode the disc,or the actual audio output programs that the dvd may be sending the receiver....but..like i said, that has already been suggested above....good luck...( if anything,this is just a vouch that you made a good decision with the 5840 and you should be able to figure this problem out fairly easily )

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis