setting up denon avr788 help please

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I've spend the past few days setting this up and still having problems. Before I bring my dlp downstairs I'm setting it up to the standard 32" tube tv. The tv is 13 years old and only has coax & video/audio inputs as in yellow, red, white hookups or coax.

I have a direct tv hd20 box and a sony 5 disk dvd player with 1080I upscaling. When I hook up the dvd player via hdmi it only plays the audio and no video. When I try to hook up via component I get no picture. The only way I get a picture is using svideo or the video plug "yellow".

I have a 5.1 system setup. When I switch it to tuner only the fronts and sub work. I can't get any sound to come out of the rears, but they work when I'm watching a movie.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I have a direct tv hd20 box and a sony 5 disk dvd player with 1080I upscaling. When I hook up the dvd player via hdmi it only plays the audio and no video. When I try to hook up via component I get no picture. The only way I get a picture is using svideo or the video plug "yellow".
Nothing wrong with your unit. That's the way that it goes.

I have a 5.1 system setup. When I switch it to tuner only the fronts and sub work. I can't get any sound to come out of the rears, but they work when I'm watching a movie.
I'll bet that you can get surround sound when listening to the tuner, but you'll need to select a surround sound mode on the receiver. If it is set to "Stereo", then you'll just get sound from the two front speakers and the sub. If you set it to some sort of surround mode, then you should get sound from all speakers. The relative loudness levels between the front and rear speakers will depend on how the receiver is set up.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Hook up your DLP. It should work just fine with HDMI or component.

Many receivers will upconvert composite (yellow video) and S-video to component and HDMI, but will not downconvert those formats to composite or S-video.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
New issue now. For speakers I have front klh av5000 with 2 12" woofers and 8" american acoustic bookshelves. When I use the mic to setup it sets the fronts to large so basically no sound comes out of the sub. The sub was set to -6 so I increased that and still no sound. When I switch to small then I get the sound out of the subwoofer and cranked it up. Will these screw up my settings by just changing the fronts from large to small? Will I have to manually adjust the eq and anything else that typically needs changing? Not sure if everything stays the same by changing to small other than the lower goes out to the sub instead of the main speakers and I just need to adjust the volumes.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Auto setup typically sets speakers to large, even when using bookshelf speakers. Changing the setting to small is the right thing to do. The only thing to adjust after that is the sub level.

Don't even worry about any changes you want to try to tweak things to your preference. In the worst case scenario, all you have to do is restore to default or redo the auto setup and you're back at square one. When it comes to adjusting settings, there's virtually nothing you can do that can't be fixed. Experiment and enjoy.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Auto setup typically sets speakers to large, even when using bookshelf speakers. Changing the setting to small is the right thing to do. The only thing to adjust after that is the sub level.
Dave, I was going to post something similar, but the front speakers have dual 12" woofers. Seems like the OP might want to run those full range. I'd say to experiment between the two settings (large and small) on the front speakers to decide what sounds the best.

lbolts20, if you run the front speakers as large, you may need to set the receiver up to send the LFE (low frequency effects) channel from movies to the sub. That would be in the owners manual, and we'll be happy to help if it gets confusing.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I've been playing with the settings and when the fronts are on large I don't get very much bass at all. When I leave them large and switch the sub to lfe & main then I get the bass out of the sub or sub to lfe and set the fronts to small then I get bass out of the sub. Is there a setup somewhere I need to goto to get more bass out of the 2 fronts when they're on large or shouldn't I bother and just use the sub? They have 2 12" woofers in them and I should be able to pull some bass out of them by themselves.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Dave, I was going to post something similar, but the front speakers have dual 12" woofers.
Good point. LFE+main might be the best option. I can't find anything on those speakers, but I tend to think of speakers with 2-12" woofers more along the lines of vintage gear that might not have the extension or tightness of a newer sub. Maybe setting the mains as small and using a really low x-over might work as well, like 60Hz or 40Hz.

Sometimes the vintage gear can seem impressive with it's driver dimensions, but I've found that using my early 80's Sansui speakers with 15" woofers really doesn't have near the capability of either of my subs, despite having a stereo pair of 15" drivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis