Setting up a 2 channel, and separate 5.1 system

A

armando22

Enthusiast
I am interested in putting together a great 2 or 2.1 channel system. I mainly listen 80% music, 20% movies. So I wan to focus on a killer speakers, but i do want 5.1 capability. I was told that my front speakers should match the center channel, in a 5.1 system. The speakers i'm looking at are Monitor audio GX50's. So I would need a GX series center, but it retails about $1K. But since I am not so critical of my 5.1 sound I figured I could get 5 quality speakers for that same $1K. Im wondering if most A/V receivers can accommodate this, or if I should go with separates to accomplish this i.e Pre amp and a 5 channel amp, and a 2 channel amp, and how would I set it up.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
There are plenty of avr's that will power them MA speakers, but almost every separate amplifier will do it better, and also did you audition any speakers yet? And yes the center should match your left and right fronts...

Heres what I would do for a killer 5.1 system
Ascend acoustics Sierra towers, with center
Emotiva XPA3 amplifier
decent avr with preouts
A HSU sub ULS15 {very musical sub that still kicks out some decent ht bass}
and a set of surrounds...

Use the xpa3 to power your front 3 and use the avr to power your surrounds...

PS I understand where you are coming from with the not caring much about your 5.1 sound, but the quality sub will carry over from music, and dont forget a lot of movies have music in them and it is nice to have a decent set of speakers up front reproducing all that sound...

But if you really want to do it that way Cerwin vega cls215's with a crown xls class D will sound really good with no sub, then get yourself a decent 5.1 for movies... Keep them totally separate...

Last edited:
A

armando22

Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I have auditioned, and I like the MA, my local dealer carries MA and I like the GX's. I will say that While I do like towers, my room configuration (read my wife) wouldn't work with towers. So I like the standmout/bookshelfs.
I was looking at a Pioneer SC-65 elite for and A/V, or Emotiva separates. Also, will most likely do a sub from Hsu.
Example
Emotiva UMC-200
UPA-500 for driving 5.1
XPA-200 For stereo
Oppo Bdp-105
MA GX 50 for stereo
HSU VTF2-Mk4
MA BX series or Pioneer for surround

A

armando22

Enthusiast
Or do I bite the bullet and get the GX center, and go more basic for surrounds. Keeping the same Pre/pro choices, or single A/V reciver

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Or do I bite the bullet and get the GX center, and go more basic for surrounds. Keeping the same Pre/pro choices, or single A/V reciver
Bite the bullit and get the Monitor Audio Center - you do not need to spend much for basic surrounds.
I would start with a good receiver that has pre-outs, and then go from there.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But since I am not so critical of my 5.1 sound I figured I could get 5 quality speakers for that same $1K.
Just get 3 lower-end MA bookshelf speakers & use as center & surrounds. Like you said, you are NOT CRITICAL of 5.1. Your main interest is 2.1 music. So you don't need the exact MA line.

Normally I use my KEF 201/2 x 5 for 5.1.

But for fun I've been using my Revel + KEF & B&W + KEF & TAD + KEF for 5.1 and I really don't see a problem or distraction at all. I've had some audiophile friends & relatives over and they didn't notice anything either (I didn't tell them I was mismatching speaker brands :D ). The main thing is keeping all the speakers level matched on your processor.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For movies, surround speakers are the least important, so you could just do that. What about a GX bookshelf speaker for Center?

A

armando22

Enthusiast
I like the ideas, thanks. I think I may look into having 3 GX 50's for mains and a center. I have read that the dual woofer center causes a drop in quality depending on listing position, so single woofer center may be a benifit, any truth to this? I could then go with BX1's or BXFX for surrounds. Any feedback on the SC-65 Elite? I may have to go this route to keep the system as simple as possible, so my wife dosent get frustrated just to try and watch a movie or TV. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like the ideas, thanks. I think I may look into having 3 GX 50's for mains and a center. I have read that the dual woofer center causes a drop in quality depending on listing position, so single woofer center may be a benifit, any truth to this? I could then go with BX1's or BXFX for surrounds. Any feedback on the SC-65 Elite? I may have to go this route to keep the system as simple as possible, so my wife dosent get frustrated just to try and watch a movie or TV. :)
I think all serious accurate speakers are vertical, not horizontal. I think having a horizontal center is a compromise for space-limited situations. That's why I have always used vertical center speakers. I have never once used a horizontal center. :D

I think the SC-65 is all you will need.

A

armando22

Enthusiast
thanks. SO.. when i'm ready

Pioneer Sc-61
Oppo BDP-105
Roku
HD Cable box
MA GX 50 for LCR
BXFX surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Audioquest Cables

Sound good??

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
The MAs are great for purists who want 2 channel music. I simply purchased an efficient 5.1 Klipsch system for HT.....then just add 2 additional Golds on "B" speaker setting for stereo. HSU also has good, reasonable units for HT. In fact, i would spend most of the budget on the 2 quallity speakers. With this method you end up with an efficient HT system with headroom using modest amps. You also get a better music system.lastly, you have less speakers sitting around and spend less. Im presently using Paradigms as my stereo only units. Just hit b speaker and "straight" stereo buttons on remote to move to stereo only

A

armando22

Enthusiast
That was the kind of setup I was looking for. But I think what ImcLoud said about movies having a lot of music in them really pushed me in the direction of having a great 5.1 system, instead of two independant systems. Plus with the reciver being 7.1, i can bi-amp the fronts!
Thanks again for all the input.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was the kind of setup I was looking for. But I think what ImcLoud said about movies having a lot of music in them really pushed me in the direction of having a great 5.1 system, instead of two independant systems. Plus with the reciver being 7.1, i can bi-amp the fronts!
Thanks again for all the input.
IMO there is absolutely no reason to have 2 separate systems unless you just want to collect different brands. :D

IMO speakers that sound great for music will sound great for movies.

We are not talking about sitting 50ft away from the speakers here. We are talking about a room in a house. You don't need speakers with a 100dB+ sensitivity.

My Phil3 are only 85dB/2.83v/m, yet they sound extremely loud from 25ft away.

If the Klipsch sound great, then buy them for the perceived SQ. But not just because you need 100dB/2.83v/m speakers for movies in your house.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis