Setting crossover frequency

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
I'm trying to learn more about my system despite not having much time to devote to it. When I originally set my system up, I let the auto-setup do it's thing. Take note, however, that the data it gathered may have been flawed due to a few factors that I introduced out of sheer "novice-hood".

The other night I was looking at the settings and noticed that the crossover frequency for my surround speakers was set at 110Hz. When I looked at the specs for my surrounds, they state that the speaker is capable of 45Hz to 30kHz. Should I set the crossover frequency lower so as to use more of the speakers capability?

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
What kind/model of speakers are your surrounds? People here may be able to provide advice given more information about the speaker. Advice for crossover freq can range anywhere from 40-200 Hz.

On the other hand, you can always just try/experiment with different settings to see which frequency crossover you like best (or if you even notice a difference). After all, it is you who will decide whether it sounds right to you, regardless of what is "technically" right.

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
The speakers in question are Definitive Technology BP2X. I was going to experiment last night but I feared if I set the frequency too low, it may damage the speaker. I wanted to get a consenus first before going forward.

One other item - are there any good books that cover the essentials of tweaking your system? I've read the various manuals on my equipment but they more or less tell you how to make changes rather than why or what's best.

Quickley17

Quickley17

Audioholic
Well just from looking at DT's website, they recommend 80 Hz for your A/V crossover.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
The auto setup is mostly a ball park deal. I have never been impressed with the auto calibration on either of my recievers (they are 5 or more years old). I tend to set up my gear the old fashioned way. Takes a little more time, but I find I'm happier in the end. As mentioned by Quickly, knowing what speakers you have would help. Since you are talking about your surrounds, they are likely smaller speakers and may need to be crossed a little higher than you mains. If I can help it, I try not to cross any of my speakers above 100 Hz (usually below 80), but 110 is not much above that. If it sounds good to you, I say go with it. If not, try some different setting to see if you find one that works better for you.

Oops! You both posted while I was typing a response.

You don't have to worry about crossing your speakers too low. I doubt you will cross them anywhere near their lowest frequency response anyway. You'd have to play them at extreme volumes to damage them. If you are really worried about it, turn down the volume as soon as you start to hear distortion.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, you could ether go with THX recommended 80Hz, try to get frequency response graphs of your speakers and notice the point at which your surround speakers begging to "sweat" or lose big portions of volume, set the x-cover just before this point.
I any case I don't think you should set it below 70-80hz, regardless that your speakers manuf. claims...

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
Well just from looking at DT's website, they recommend 80 Hz for your A/V crossover.
Man, that's funny. I had just checked that exact spec sheet so I could provide the frequency response for you guys. Guess I should have kept reading :eek:

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
The auto setup is mostly a ball park deal. I have never been impressed with the auto calibration on either of my recievers (they are 5 or more years old). I tend to set up my gear the old fashioned way. Takes a little more time, but I find I'm happier in the end. As mentioned by Quickly, knowing what speakers you have would help. Since you are talking about your surrounds, they are likely smaller speakers and may need to be crossed a little higher than you mains. If I can help it, I try not to cross any of my speakers above 100 Hz (usually below 80), but 110 is not much above that. If it sounds good to you, I say go with it. If not, try some different setting to see if you find one that works better for you.
Do you use any of the correction algorithms in your A/V receiver? I have a Denon AVR 3806 and it calculates three equalizer settings based on the measurements taken during the auto-setup. They are Audyssey, Front and Flat. I've wanted to experiment with them but never gotten around to it. Can anyone chime in?

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I used to EQ the heck out of my systems to get the sound I wanted. It sounded great for a certain type of music, but made other types worse. I was never completely happy. I've since gone to a plain preamp with zero EQ and have been much more satisfied overall. That's just me though. I've never had a reciever with Audessy. Wouldn't mind playing around with one in my setup. Try out the extra setting when you have some time. Find out what sounds good to you (if any). We can give you opinions, but never having been in your listening room, most of the advice is just an educated guess or personal preference (from me anyway).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Do you use any of the correction algorithms in your A/V receiver? I have a Denon AVR 3806 and it calculates three equalizer settings based on the measurements taken during the auto-setup. They are Audyssey, Front and Flat. I've wanted to experiment with them but never gotten around to it. Can anyone chime in?
Equalization is quite different from cross-over, I decided for now to stick with Audyssey, but in long term I hope to get myself around and actually use some real measurements and manual calibrations, which I think might help to flatten out and re-equalize some of my room issues.

I've found this piece of software -http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/, besides it's best part -its free - I think its not too complicated to use and I already own radioshack spl meter.

p.s: While reading guides on Room EQ site, I noticed the fact they highly recommend to point the mic directly at the speakers while measuring, and only for sub measurements it ok to point mic upwards.

Does this mean for Audyssey autosetup should I point provided MIC pointing directly at the speaker, and not up as suggested in manual??? I want to try it then I'll have some spare time

R

robbit

Audioholic Intern
Equalization is quite different from cross-over, I decided for now to stick with Audyssey, but in long term I hope to get myself around and actually use some real measurements and manual calibrations, which I think might help to flatten out and re-equalize some of my room issues.
Right, I kind of highjacked my own thread :D The crossover question had been sufficiently answered so I dove in to another topic that had captured my interest. Thanks for the information! I'll toy around with the settings over Christmas!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis