M

musicholic

Enthusiast
Hi,
i own the following components;
Denon 2807 receiver, Scientific Atlanta HD cable box, Paradigm Studio 60s v3, Paradigm 590 CC, old sony dvd player, denon ipod dock, harmony 880 and Toshiba rear projection 42H83 with DVI input (no sub and sorrounds yet). I have the following questions:

1. What's the best way to get hdmi sound and picture quality? I don't own hdmi cables yet.
2. My receiver displays "analog sound". How canI go to digital sound?
3. the ipod dock doesn't work so well - I can't see the menu on the TV screen and how can I use the Harmony 880 for the ipod?
4. What kind of sub would you recommend?
5. Phase II - what's the best way to connect an external hard drivewith music and movies as well as internet radio to my set-up?
thanks in advance!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
WEll, I'll try for 1 & 2

musicholic said:
Hi,
i own the following components;
Denon 2807 receiver, Scientific Atlanta HD cable box, Paradigm Studio 60s v3, Paradigm 590 CC, old sony dvd player, denon ipod dock, harmony 880 and Toshiba rear projection 42H83 with DVI input (no sub and sorrounds yet). I have the following questions:

1. What's the best way to get hdmi sound and picture quality? I don't own hdmi cables yet.
HDMI is a connector, simple as that. The ONLY thing it has over component video is the ability to pass 1080P. Component is good up to 1080i, which is prety durn high.

As for sound, you can pass superb digital sound through either digital coax cable (my favorite) or glass/plastic "toslink" cables directly from the source to the receiver, which brings us to # 2

musicholic said:
2. My receiver displays "analog sound". How canI go to digital sound?
Assuming you're using either of those two conections mentioned above, you may have to "assign" certain digital inputs to certain connections on the back. You may have to delve deeply into your manual for this (I did with my 2802) or perhaps someone with the exact same model can offer more exact directions.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll try for 4

musicholic said:
4. What kind of sub would you recommend?
that depends on how big your room is, how loud you listen, and what you listen to.

if you can get something that hits about 25Hz you should be fine, but you can buy something that will do <15Hz if you want to, and if you are primarily watching movies, a sub that is a little 'sloppy' is ok - but 'sloppy' is not ok if you only listen to music.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
markw said:
Assuming you're using either of those two conections mentioned above, you may have to "assign" certain digital inputs to certain connections on the back. You may have to delve deeply into your manual for this (I did with my 2802) or perhaps someone with the exact same model can offer more exact directions.
If it's anything like my AVR-2307CI, you have to go into the setup menu, Audio Input Setup, Digital In Assign and select the source and input connection optical or coax.
Also assuming that you are using the Denon ASD-1R iPod dock, you have to assign the input in the setup menu, Audio input setup, iPod assign and choose the source.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
gawd, I miss the old analog stereo days.

Davemcc said:
If it's anything like my AVR-2307CI, you have to go into the setup menu, Audio Input Setup, Digital In Assign and select the source and input connection optical or coax.
Also assuming that you are using the Denon ASD-1R iPod dock, you have to assign the input in the setup menu, Audio input setup, iPod assign and choose the source.
1) hook up speakers.
2) connect phonograph.

3) connect antenna

4) plug in

5) turn on

6) choose a source

7) either tune in a station or drop on a record.

8) pop open a cold one (or whatever), sit back and enjoy.

Setup? What setup? We didn't need no steeenkeeeing setup!

Yeah, My 2802 was some thing like that. I did it in 2003 but thankfully haven't had to revisit it since. I did learn how to read that fargin' manual, though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis