Separates help needed

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Well my Okyo 807 took another dive today so now I am soliciting help for seperates.I'll probably go the Emotiva route as far as amps are concerned so that leaves me with the pre pro query.
Total budget will be around 2500.Maybe 3000 tops.I have a 7:1 set up right now.
I've never owned seperates so I'm in uncharted waters here.
Any and all help would be appreciated.
Regards,Len
P.S. If I don't see you,Happy St. Pats day:)

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I'm using a Marantz AV8003 which I chose for its sound quality first and room EQ second. It does not have the ability to decode HD audio codecs while the EQ is active, so I feed it multichannel LPCM.

I previously used a ~$800 Yamaha receiver as a pre-amp and the Marantz provided a noticeable upgrade in sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the Marantz AV7005+3 amps but if I were to do it again I would have opted for the Denon AVR-4311+one 2ch amp and spend the rest of the money on something else that counts.

E

Ears to you

Junior Audioholic
Diminishing Returns?

I have the Marantz AV7005+3 amps but if I were to do it again I would have opted for the Denon AVR-4311+one 2ch amp and spend the rest of the money on something else that counts.
Hi Peng,

If I may I ask - in what way were you disenchanted with your choices? You had graciously replied to my post of about a week ago about my possible upgrade of a Denon 1911 to a Denon 4311, or Marantz pre/pro plus power amp with some useful and welcome comments. Is it that you heard no discernable difference with the Marantz and amps versus a more top-of-the-line AVR to justify the $ difference? I am open to all info, and if something did not work out as planned with subsequent benefits, then that is as important for me to learn from as much as what does work for people. Thanks for sharing your experience!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Peng,

If I may I ask - in what way were you disenchanted with your choices? You had graciously replied to my post of about a week ago about my possible upgrade of a Denon 1911 to a Denon 4311, or Marantz pre/pro plus power amp with some useful and welcome comments. Is it that you heard no discernable difference with the Marantz and amps versus a more top-of-the-line AVR to justify the $ difference? I am open to all info, and if something did not work out as planned with subsequent benefits, then that is as important for me to learn from as much as what does work for people. Thanks for sharing your experience!
I do like the Marantz but now I know it sounds the same as my 4308 so I would rather get another Dennon that has xt32 and a few other features that the Marantz does not have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can't argue against the Denon 4311. Can probably get new for ~$1600.

But because I don't use Audyssey (XT32), I humbly think the $600 Denon 990 will sound just as good. Humbly. :D

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
The 4311 street's around $1300 shipped from several authorized resellers. FWIW, I think this is a bargain for what you get, including XT32. I have a 4311 driving my 5.1 system (N804s/HTM2) and it does it with ease with a sub in the mix and everything crossed over a 80Hz. (I am almost disappointed because I really want to get a big separate amp, but I just can't justify it because the 4311 will drive it at reference levels all day long).

If I wanted separates and didn't care about XT32, or If I really wanted balanced/xlr outs, I'd have to look long and hard at one of the Marantz combos from Outlaw, like the 7005/7700 combo:

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/combos.html

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Hmmmmmm,choices choices choices:confused:
Thanks for everyones input,looks like I may opt for a Denon and a 3channel amp,although thats not etched in stone.
I do like the onk 807 but it either has major design flaws or a really poor Hdmi card. I want to enjoy my unit,not wonder when its coming home from repair. .
I used a Fisher surround system for 22 years(stop laughing)125 watts per channel that would shake the house foundation.Ran without a hitch.
I still have it and it still works.I drove it hard,ask the wife.Still complains when I let her rip,you would think after 20 years she would learn that her complaints fall on deaf ears(pun intended)
I'm looking for that kind of dependabilityand a woman who likes loud music and movies:D.Do they exist?:D
Agian,Thanks for the input.
Regards,Len

J

jjackkrash

Audioholic Intern
You might want to consider giving the Denon 4311 a try, and if it didn't meet you power needs, drop in three outlaw monoblocks:

Model 2200 Monoblock Power Amplifier

There is a guy on the AVS classifieds with 6 of these for sale, and he's willing to split them up into sets of three.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Electronics Expo, for one, WW Stereo, for another, and I think J&R will get close. IIRC the sales department of this site will get close as well. Here is a "deals thread" link from AVS:

Denon 4311CI @ EE for $1329.99 - AVS Forum

You have to call to get the best price, however.
Wow, for $1330 brand new authorized, I just don't see any reason to buy anything other than the Denon 4311. No reason whatsoever.:D

Seriously, if I went back in time, instead of buying the Denon 5308 & AVP-A1, I would just get four AVR-4311. And still have $$$ left over.:eek: Totally unwise on my part. Completely unwise. I have chosen..................................poorly. :eek:

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Well.....the winner is .......Denon 4311.
Thanks for the input on units, pricing and dealers.
Would it be wrong of me to put the 807 on sale after its repaired knowing full well it will probably fail again?
Wife says I'm too honest:eek:
P.S.Any issues regarding the 4311 that I should be aware of?

Last edited:
L

Lordhumungus

Audioholic
Well.....the winner is .......Denon 4311.
Thanks for the input on units, pricing and dealers.
Would it be wrong of me to put the 807 on sale after its repaired knowing full well it will probably fail again?
Wife says I'm too honest:eek:
I'd say as long as you are up front about the fact that it has been repaired, you have done your job. It's not for you to decide for someone else if they want to take the risk as long as you laid it all out for them and they are aware that the risk is present. I say this having bought and sold tons of stuff online over the years.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
At this point I would ask for a replacement, not a repair (which most likely would still be a refurb) but at least it will work at the time that you sold it and should come with a full warranty.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
I will let them know that the board was replaced,thanks.
Also,if anyone has a 4311 are there any hiccups or problems with the unit that I should know of in advance?
They are offering a free download for airplay,sweet.Originally they wanted 50 smackers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I will let them know that the board was replaced,thanks.
Also,if anyone has a 4311 are there any hiccups or problems with the unit that I should know of in advance?
They are offering a free download for airplay,sweet.Originally they wanted 50 smackers.
Do you have time to browse through 15,938 posts on 532 page on the AVR-4311 over at avsforum? I gave up on that thread long time ago but I don't recall reading about too much hiccups or problems back then.

T

tonedeaf

Audioholic
Do you have time to browse through 15,938 posts on 532 page on the AVR-4311 over at avsforum? I gave up on that thread long time ago but I don't recall reading about too much hiccups or problems back then.
I went over there and thought the same thing,ALL THESE POSTS.
So I posted in the thread and got ZERO replies,thats why I posted here.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I went over there and thought the same thing,ALL THESE POSTS.
So I posted in the thread and got ZERO replies,thats why I posted here.:D
I can tell you so far I have had 3, 1705, 3805, 4308. I sold the 1705 all 3 are still in top shape, no trouble whatsoever. I also remember there are people over at the avsforum who claimed they switched from separates, including the Marantz AV7005 based systems and never looked back. That doesn't mean there are those who regret their purpose but I don't recall reading anything like that. All things considered, I think the 4311 is a safe bet but for that kind of money, I would still buy it from an authorized dealer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis