Separates are no better than AV Receivers, Objectively

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Do you mean the rx-v1800?! Cuz I got the same receiver and I think the amp section is plenty enough. Though 120 yammie watts is killed by 100 NAD watts.

What kind of speakers do you have??
your blanket statments kill me, lol. are you talking about 2chs driven???? on the yama??? graphs please. acutal watts are actual watts, stated is another story

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
your blanket statments kill me, lol. are you talking about 2chs driven???? on the yama??? graphs please. acutal watts are actual watts, stated is another story
sorry. I'm not the type of guy fighting over with graphics.

I have a NAD integrated that pushes 50 wpc and I have an older yamaha 5740 that is speced at 100 wpc I think. When I run in 2-ch mode, the same speakers can have a "bleh" sound or a "nice warm" sound and you feel the headroom, depending of what unit is pushing it. My ears can perceive that.

See, if you're into audio so you have graphs that can counter some opinions then we're not setting the same goals. If my ears aren't able to tell the difference, then why would I spend thousands of bucks on a unit? That is kind of my only argument. Not so precise? maybe not.

** Wish the power ratings were all tested the same way then we could really compare and judge what we need...

audioman00

Audioholic
I kinda miss the sound of the yamaha receiver now that i get to jammin some of my fav tunes. I have the older rx-v800 35lbs, solid built a lot like the newer 1600/1800, but older and only 5.1, which is fine for me. I like the headroom and dynamics of the NAD, but the yamaha sounded a bit better at higher volumes, maybe my tweeters can't hang..... i think thats it, but the yammi is a bit smoother sounding on quiet passages, but however, the NAD is way better sounding at low volume levels, i guess because of the dynamic headroom. I am running 4 acoustic research performance series monitors, with 1" tweets, 3" fancy material midrange driver, and a nice high excursion 8" bass driver with rear ports. Sound good where I sit, but I'm not yet convinced the NAD isn't getting kicked out of my system, just need to do more critical listening, BTW all of this is running through "good" cables. We won't mention names, cause that aint how I roll, but they are damn good cables and DO make a diff. in the sound and dynamic capabilities of MY system. It's all subjective anyways! lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis