Sennheiser HD-598 Headphones Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
A while ago, my headphones broke and I was looking for a new pair of headphones. I don't know about you but, when it comes to audio gear, I'm the kind of person who takes time (sometimes too long) to decide what to buy. I compare myself to my girlfriend when she goes to the mall to buy some shoes. She could literally spend a whole day walking back and forth in there without noticing it... It's a torture!!!. Maybe some of you feel the same way.

Ok, back to my story. After a month of research and internal debate I made my choice. I was so sure about my decision and thought that nothing could make me change my mind. The next day I called the audio shop - which is a 30 minutes drive from my house - and asked for availability. Just when I was ready to pay, I saw the manager unpacking some new audio gear and headphones. Then I saw them..... the Sennheiser HD-598 Headphones. I already knew and read about those headphones during my research but, no audio store I know had them, until now. Then I realized that no matter how many years of experience one may have in the audio industry, and no matter how much research you make, there is always something new to learn about and there is always something better.

I tried them on and, I must say that I liked them a lot. They are aesthetically pleasing to the eyes but they also provide a very impressive sound quality. I tried them side-by-side against the ones I was set to buy and I was amazed. Not only these sounded more articulated, open, more natural and with tighter bass. These were more comfortable and looked way better.

These headphones incorporate a special diaphragm geometry that minimizes intermodulation distortion while delivering an impressive frequency response range. And, according to the company, they feature a highly constant compressed cellulose fleece to hold harmonic distortion to less than 0.1%.

These are excellent headphones but, as I said about the audio industry, there is always something new to learn about and there is always something better. Of course, for many of us, budget widens or shortens our options. But one thing is certain: this was definitely my fastest buy ever :)

Check them out for yourself and find out if they are right for you!

FEATURES:
  • High-end open circumaural headphones with E.A.R. technology for outstanding sonic accuracy and clarity.
  • Sennheiser's innovative "Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement" (E.A.R.) design channels audio signals directly into your ears.
  • State-of-the-art, advanced Duofol diaphragms for transparency and minimal distortion.
  • Highly optimised, field-strengthened neodymium ferrous magnet systems for an excellent dynamic response.
  • Surround reflector for extended spatial sound field.
  • Lightweight aluminium voice coils for high efficiency and excellent dynamics.
  • Special diaphragm geometry reduces intermodulation distortion.
  • Highly constant, compressed cellulose fleece reduces total harmonic distortion.
  • Premium beige and high-gloss burl wood parts for a sophisticated finish.
  • Extremely comfortable velour ear pads and headband.
  • Excellent connectivity, also with home Hifi equipment.
  • 2-year warranty
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Wearing style: Headband
  • Impedance: 50 Ω
  • Frequency Response: 12 - 38,500 Hz
  • Sound pressure level (SPL): 112 dB (1 kHz/1 Vrms)
  • THD, total harmonic distortion: < 0,1 % (1 kHz/100 dB SPL)
  • Jack plug: 6.3 mm
  • Weight: 270 g
Price: $249.95
square_louped_hd_598_01_sq_sennheiser.png

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
HD598 is a good pair of headphones, but they often go for around 150$. At that price they are really nice pair indeed and not many headphones in price range come close to. For 250$ you can get for example HD600 (from discount as well) or some other good headphones that are far ahead from HD598.

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
HD598 is a good pair of headphones, but they often go for around 150$. At that price they are really nice pair indeed and not many headphones in price range come close to. For 250$ you can get for example HD600 (from discount as well) or some other good headphones that are far ahead from HD598.
You are right, my friend. The HD-600 are a very good pair. But, apparently this is the only store selling Sennheiser products that is close to me (30 minutes). They started selling them that day and the HD-598 was the only model they had available.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I've owned my pair for about 2 years now, and love them for classical and classic jazz.

DJ

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

You are right, my friend. The HD-600 are a very good pair. But, apparently this is the only store selling Sennheiser products that is close to me (30 minutes). They started selling them that day and the HD-598 was the only model they had available.
Usually if retailer has one product from manufacturer they can order any other product from that manufacturer. Price could be something else tho. Anyways HD598 is good pair of headphones for certain price range.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I wonder if the HD598 or the HD600 are more comfortable than my Sennheiser MM400?
The MM400 sound good, but I can not wear them for very long. When I do use them, I am constantly taking them off and stretching out the band to loosen them up.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I wonder if the HD598 or the HD600 are more comfortable than my Sennheiser MM400?
The MM400 sound good, but I can not wear them for very long. When I do use them, I am constantly taking them off and stretching out the band to loosen them up.
I have not tried MM400, but they look like they are on-ear? HD598 and HD600 are over-ear and the ear pads are really comfortable even for long periods. I myself haven't had any comfort issues with my HD600 and HD598 is pretty much the same design for ear pads and headband. I myself cant stand any on-ear headphones as they get really uncomfortable pretty fast.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I have not tried MM400, but they look like they are on-ear? HD598 and HD600 are over-ear and the ear pads are really comfortable even for long periods. I myself haven't had any comfort issues with my HD600 and HD598 is pretty much the same design for ear pads and headband. I myself cant stand any on-ear headphones as they get really uncomfortable pretty fast.
Yes, the MM400 are on-ear. Soft pad, but the band is just too tight to be compy for long. I bought them in '09 to use mostly when flying.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Yes, the MM400 are on-ear. Soft pad, but the band is just too tight to be compy for long. I bought them in '09 to use mostly when flying.
Then HD598/600 will be superior on comfort. But I wouldn't recommend them to use on flights as they are open design and will leak sound. Beyerdynamic DT770 would be better option as they are closed design. Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 are pretty close to HD598/600 comfort and for home use I could recommend DT990 as it is open design like said Sennheiser models and will produce better sound imo. DT990 600 Ohm are on my to buy list as well.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
Last month I used a store credit to purchase a pair of Panasonic over-ear, noise cancelling phones for my daughter. Those things are very comfortable, and sound much better than I expected. She says she can now hear things in recordings she did not know were there.
And the noise cancelling comes in very handy, as her BR is right above this system, which I tend to crank up. lol
I was reading about new earphone model from JBL that has superior bass output, I need to go over to the Harman Pro shop to see if they might have them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis