sell me a new blu ray player

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
My current blu ray player works fine. I have no real complaints with it besides it seems to be slow to load. I'm not sure if there's other enhancements that could be made to picture/audio quality by upgrading on a strictly HDMI set up. Maybe somebody here can help me out on that. I don't need wifi but I would like something that can load netflix quickly and have it in 5.1 surround. I do have an ethernet cable available that can be wired to the blu ray player. It's only used to play dvds/blu rays. The only reason I'm really looking at it is the slow load times which I find annoying and the possibility of getting a netflix subscription (which I've never actually tried). Any suggestions?

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I'd like to spend under $200 or so. I know the Oppo is highly regarded around here, but $500 for a Blu ray player sounds crazy to me.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well if you're not concerned with all the bells and whistles of the video and audio processing and you only want a new one to try streaming, then I'd probably point you towards

Amazon.com: LG BP220 2D Blu-Ray Player Smart TV - Black: Electronics

or at least something along these lines.

You could also go with

Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Integrated-Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player: Electronics

This is an excellent blu-ray player at the top end of your budget. The LG is pretty basic, but a good player with a few different apps, including netflix. The panasonic is a well reviewed player with tons of extras. Either would be a good option for what you're saying you want a blu-ray player for.

The oppo is highly regarded because of the excellent video and audio processing it packs inside. If you want the best picture you can get along with the best possible audio then the oppo is the way to go, but it doesn't sound like you're after that so either of the above should do the trick.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
The Oppo definitely is doable, I just have a hard time seeing the value. How much of an improvement in the audio and video realm would I be getting over these other players?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Just a little food for thought.

If your big concern is streaming Netflix in 5.1, keep in mind that the selection for streaming movies on Netflix, well, sucks. If you like reruns of TV shows, fine, but for movies, welll...

On the whole, I love our Sony 390. It won't do Netflix 5.1 but it will do 5.1 Vudu. I know, that's a different animal (no costto joun or monthly fewe. Justpau for what you watch) but the movie selection is far better. Sometimes, ya gotta pay for what you get.

As for the a direct rival to Netflix streaming, I'd say that the free seclections on Amazon Instant Video* is a better alternative as far a selection and quality and, as a bonus, it's cheaper and you get free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases.

*My thanks to Adam and J Garcia for explaining the mysteries of this thing.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As for the a direct rival to Netflix streaming, I'd say that the free seclections on Amazon Instant Video* is a better alternative as far a selection and quality and, as a bonus, it's cheaper and you get free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases.
ps: Amazon Instant Video is free for Amazon Prime subscribers which cost $79 a year and does indeed includes free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases (sold/fulfilled by Amazon)

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I buy tons of stuff through amazon, so that would definitely be worth it for me. Unfortunately it's not available in Canada :(

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
Things I like about my Oppo:
Instead of coming out with new models every year, they have frequent firmware upgrades
I can stream using DLNA from other computers or access files on a connected hard drive.
Comes with Pandora and Netflix

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Personally I can't see a reason not to go with an oppo, the sound quality is awesome, the picture quality will be top notch and like saeyedoc said, they give you firmware updates and not a new model every year. It makes you feel like your purchase was actually worth something (at least to me).

They're excellent quality and it's one purchase you won't regret at all, so I think that if the oppo is doable then you should do. You won't regret, although I'm not saying you'd regret a cheaper purchase either like either of the two I mentioned before.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Thanks guys, I'll most likely end up going with the Oppo then. I'll have to give it a bit of time as I just bought my subwoofer, but this should be the next upgrade to my system.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks guys, I'll most likely end up going with the Oppo then. I'll have to give it a bit of time as I just bought my subwoofer, but this should be the next upgrade to my system.
I think you would be very happy with the Panny 220 Fuzz mentioned, hard wire it and you ready to go, I like Vudu although can be expensive, but as said you get what you pay for. The Oppo is more of an investment and future proof, likewise you get what you pay for...............

Last edited:
brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
After doing a bit more reading the one thing that gives me pause on the oppo is that it doesn't have an iphone remote app (where as the panasonic does). My harmony works fine for everything, but for inputting text on an iphone sure seems a lot easier than a remote. That would make things far easier for youtube/netflix it seems.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Oh, And the Panasonic has a skype camera add on. I'll definitely end up getting that and using it for skype with my parents while they're away as well. That's a useful feature, although I'd be much more happy if it had a facetime app as well. *shakes fist at apple*

I

Irishman

Audioholic
I'd like to spend under $200 or so. I know the Oppo is highly regarded around here, but $500 for a Blu ray player sounds crazy to me.
Wow! It's a good thing you weren't around 4 years ago when $500 was a budget blu-ray player! Oh wait, you were. You HAVE a Blu-ray player that's old enough to be seem slow to load (I'm in the same boat). What year is yours?? What brand?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
My philosohpy is, you can side grade with a $200.00 player 3 times or you can upgrade to a $500.00 player once. Spend the $500.00 and you're ahead of the game.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
ps: Amazon Instant Video is free for Amazon Prime subscribers which cost $79 a year and does indeed includes free 2 day shipping on Amazon purchases (sold/fulfilled by Amazon)
You pay the $79 and no more fees for a year on all movies and tv shows?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No, you pay 79 bucks and get free 2 day shipping and 3.99 one day shipping per item and then you also get free PRIME movies and tv shows. Not all movies and tv shows, just prime movies and tv shows.

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
I would consider the Panasonic DMP BDT500, their flagship model for 2012. It retails for $350, but you can order it from Amazon for under $300, shipping included.

I ordered mine yesterday. I expect delivery by Friday or Sat. this week or Monday next week.

It features 7.1 analog outputs with 32 bit dacs. That's what interests me. It has two HDMI outputs for those who have older AVRs and don't want to upgrade to a 3D compatible AVR. I could go that route too. Just activate the HDMI audio only port and send the output to your AVR. The other HDMI port gets connected to your TV. You can read more about user raves as well as dislikes here at the AVS forum Panasonic DMP BDT500 owners thread. The yeah's definitely have the upper hand. It is a lower cost alternative to the aging Oppo 93 BD player. I too was thinking about going Oppo but changed my mind after reading about the Panny 500 along with lots of favorable reviews it got. More reviews are likely forthcoming since it has only been on the market since May or June. The price is exceptionably reasonable for the build quality and excellent audio/video quality that it delivers. I can't wait to get mine.

W

WxMan

Audioholic Intern
I would seriously consider a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 3D player. It's one of the best deals out there for a higher end player, and it's Panasonic's top of the line for 2012. You don't need to buy a 3D ready AVR to enjoy 3D TV if you'd rather not upgrade to one that is. It has dual HDMI outputs. One connects to your 3D TV. The other is a dedicated audio only HDMI output for hooking up to your AVR. It also features 7.1 analog audio outputs. It has high quality DACs that are 32 bit. It gives excellent quality PQ and AQ. I don't what more one could ask for at a cost below $350.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis