selecting speakers with iphone remote

L

lpeepsou

Enthusiast
I am a new forum member and am seeking advice. I am in the early stages of building a custom house and I know that I want whole house audio. I want a fairly basic system. in wall speakers in probably 6-8 rooms with individual volume controls in each room. I currently use itunes as my music library and love the iphone remote. I know that if you use airport express you can select different sets of speakers, but you must have an airport express and "powered" speakers in each room. What I plan to do is have a speaker switching box to switch between the different rooms. I have a 200 watt adcom amp to power the whole system.

What I am looking for is a speaker selector box that I could control with the iphone remote. From my research this does not exist yet. I have seen the ab8ss speaker selector that I believe has an infrared remote available.

Look forward to your advice. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am a new forum member and am seeking advice. I am in the early stages of building a custom house and I know that I want whole house audio. I want a fairly basic system. in wall speakers in probably 6-8 rooms with individual volume controls in each room. I currently use itunes as my music library and love the iphone remote. I know that if you use airport express you can select different sets of speakers, but you must have an airport express and "powered" speakers in each room. What I plan to do is have a speaker switching box to switch between the different rooms. I have a 200 watt adcom amp to power the whole system.

What I am looking for is a speaker selector box that I could control with the iphone remote. From my research this does not exist yet. I have seen the ab8ss speaker selector that I believe has an infrared remote available.

No takers so far to have a stab at this.

I don't think there will be an iphone app for what you want to do, at least one that does not require jail breaking your iphone.

Apple nixed an app for Slingbox recently.

I think if you want to use ab8ss, you would want to use it with a wireless pronto device.

If you do build a system, put all cabling in conduit, so the system can be revised without removing your walls.

You really might want to review whole house audio systems. They seem trendy, but I think they are not used for long. In my opinion they are a nasty artifact of the modern age.

I think you you be better off putting a good home theater system in one room. If you need some other rooms, then run those via the Adcom from the zone two output of the main system. Volume controls in the remote rooms should be sufficient.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
With your iphone you will need an IP based setup for best control, some thing simply like this will work inconjunction with a IR VC. Or you could look at starter systems like this and forget about apple;)

I

iso9001

Audioholic Intern
There is still an app for XBMC which can trigger outputs via programs coded in python. Sounds difficult, it's not really though.

N

normp

Audiophyte
remote control of speaker selection box?

did you have any luck finding a solution for this?

L

lpeepsou

Enthusiast
Here is what I came up with for a solution. I purchased an Outdoor Speaker Depot ATM-7 speaker selector. It lets you switch between 7 pairs of speakers using an IR remote. I plan to buy a logitech harmony link or redeye. These devices let you use an iPad / iPhone to send commands to an IR blaster. I will be able to switch speakers remotely on and off using the ipad/iphone.

The atm-7 is pre-loaded in the harmony's database. And I have requested that it be loaded into the redeye database.

For my receiver I went with an onkyo txnr 809. I use the oremote app to remotely control the onkyo. It is amazing.

There is another speaker selector made by aton that is more expensive than the atm-7. It works with an ir remote and is pre-programmed into the redeye and harmony databases.

I don't actually have the atm-7 yet (it's back ordered). I will post a follow up once I receive the equipment.

T

TrickMag

Audiophyte
Did you get the ATM-7 hooked up and running? Interested to know if this is a good solution as I am finishing my basement and looking to do a similar setup.

L

lpeepsou

Enthusiast
Yes i've had it running for 6 months. The first unit they sent was defective but quickly replaced. I pair it with logitech harmony link so I can switch speakers from anywhere in the house. It's been working fine. I don't know of any other device that let's you do this at this price point.

Z

ZTS

Audiophyte
Here is what I came up with for a solution. I purchased an Outdoor Speaker Depot ATM-7 speaker selector. It lets you switch between 7 pairs of speakers using an IR remote. I plan to buy a logitech harmony link or redeye. These devices let you use an iPad / iPhone to send commands to an IR blaster. I will be able to switch speakers remotely on and off using the ipad/iphone.

The atm-7 is pre-loaded in the harmony's database. And I have requested that it be loaded into the redeye database.

For my receiver I went with an onkyo txnr 809. I use the oremote app to remotely control the onkyo. It is amazing.

There is another speaker selector made by aton that is more expensive than the atm-7. It works with an ir remote and is pre-programmed into the redeye and harmony databases.

I don't actually have the atm-7 yet (it's back ordered). I will post a follow up once I receive the equipment.

Howdy, great info. Does the atm-7 allow volume control for each zone? or just master volume for all?

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis