Seeking Advice on Home Theater Speaker Setup for Renovation Project MartinLogan

J

joogle

Audiophyte
Hi - I have never had a surround sound or home theater system.

I am doing a renovation to our home, and I was able to get a good deal on a Martin Logan FX100.

The room is above a garage, and my plan is to install an 83" OLED TV and then build a custom cabinet where I can have a UST projector for a 120" screen. The UST is an AWOL 2500, which I was able to get at a discount over time.

Now, I have absolutely zero experience with sound, and other than the TV speakers, I've never used anything before.

My questions are:

1. If I install FX100 left and right speakers, how beneficial would it be to get a center speaker? Or will the left and right speakers be able to handle the sound effectively?
  2. I've seen a 5.1 setup where there are main side surround speakers. I can open up the floor and run the cable through to the side walls. I was thinking of installing wall speakers for that situation if I go down that route, but one side of my side wall is not well-suited for wall speakers, so I may just use bookshelf speakers. In that case, should I get the ML B10 or B100? That way, the speakers would match the set.
Basically, I am trying to decide if the two front tower speakers would provide a great experience or if I should consider adding a center channel speaker. Alternatively, should I get main side bookshelf speakers for a full 5.1 setup? I wouldn't like the speakers to stick out, so I am reluctant to go with that route.

FYI - I don't have attic access to this room.

ML3.jpg
ML1.jpg
ML2.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would definitely get the F100, C100, and B100.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For what it's worth, I really disliked the B100s. The F100s seem OK though. I don't trust the C100 or the B10s. I would say that if it's mostly just going to be you listening in the sweet spot, skip the center. However, if you will be having multiple listeners and need wide coverage, then maybe it's worth getting the center. Just be sure to run the receiver's auto-equalization system if you get the center or especially the bookshelf speakers.

Honestly, I would try the front towers to start with, and set it up so it would be easy to add more speakers down the line if you want them. But the tower speakers might be good enough on their own to mitigate the need for any other speakers.

J

joogle

Audiophyte
For what it's worth, I really disliked the B100s. The F100s seem OK though. I don't trust the C100 or the B10s. I would say that if it's mostly just going to be you listening in the sweet spot, skip the center. However, if you will be having multiple listeners and need wide coverage, then maybe it's worth getting the center. Just be sure to run the receiver's auto-equalization system if you get the center or especially the bookshelf speakers.

Honestly, I would try the front towers to start with, and set it up so it would be easy to add more speakers down the line if you want them. But the tower speakers might be good enough on their own to mitigate the need for any other speakers.
Thank you - I appreciate it - any other speakers you would recommend? I went with the F100 as it was discounted and then I saw several Youtube reviews rating it highly. Also, I agree I should start with front speakers first and then add as needed, I'll just run the wires in the spots for the future.

Lastly - what AVR would be a good fit?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you - I appreciate it - any other speakers you would recommend? I went with the F100 as it was discounted and then I saw several Youtube reviews rating it highly. Also, I agree I should start with front speakers first and then add as needed, I'll just run the wires in the spots for the future.

Lastly - what AVR would be a good fit?
Anything from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz in the $1k - $2k range should be good.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
How about a nice pair of RBH 85i's, around 1k for the pair. Can get the matching center speaker and surround speakers.
1711947564342.png

Than add one of these very nice AVR's. Yamaha A4A about $1300.00 Denon 3800H around $1600.00.
1711948011196.png

1711948097450.png

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I was going to echo what ShadyJ posted. If it is just 1 or 2 people in front of the screen, two speakers creating a phantom center can work fine. If you expect to have people sitting off to the side as well, the center speaker is needed to anchor the dialogue to the screen. You don't have to stick to the same brand for the surrounds unless it's important to you that the appearance is the same (not usually an issue with the grills on). There are loads of options for bookshelf speakers, like the Philharmonic Ceramic Mini for $850. I would definitely add surround speakers though. For TV and movie viewing they add a lot to the experience. You can opt for rear and side surrounds, but if you only want 2, the side surrounds are the way to go. They should be slightly behind your seating position. Did you wire in for a projector but not ceiling mounted speakers?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis