Seaton Sound No Cal GTG (as posted on Seaton Sound Forum)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
First of all I would like to thank Peter (Fugueness) for hosting this event. Peter is someone whose A/V opinion I respect and his comments about the Catalysts speakers were confirmed yesterday at this event. I would also like to thank Mark Seaton, Mark put a lot of his time and effort into pulling this special event off and it really was a one of a kind. Having Keith Yates attend and share his incredible knowledge of acoustics made the afternoon truly special for all of us lucky enough to be there.

So what I heard Saturday was an all Mark Seaton 7.1 powered speaker system comprised of Catalysts LCR, Spark surround and surround back speakers and 4 (yes four) Submersive subwoofers. To top this off we watched images displayed on a SIM2 Lumis DLP projector (courtesy of cal87). Just writing this blows my mind, listening and watching it was over the top crazy fun.

It was my understanding Mark used a Berringer DCX2496 to EQ the Subversive’s. The Catalysts and Sparks were running sans EQ as there wasn’t time to setup the Audyssey pro rig Mark had brought along. To my ears, the whole ensemble sounded excellent and further EQ was unwarranted. Peter’s room is large and open and my guess is that the room, time constraints and requirements of the meet dictated placing the quad Catalysts in a non-symmetrical manner. Three were on the left side of the room and one was in the right rear. None were in a corner or true mid-wall location. The Sparks were positioned as best they could be under the time constraints.

My impressions … the build quality and appearance of all of Marks products is top notch. He had several of the new wood veneer finishes on display and they were very nice but honestly, my preference was for the basic black finish of the Catalysts/Sparks. The large chamfer of the front edge of the Catalysts makes them appear visually smaller than they are and is a very nice design touch that I assume has acoustical advantage as well. In any case, they are well made and nice looking and something I would be proud to own and display. But the real advantage of Marks HT products are true value they offer and the sound they produce. Even with all of the caveats of room and short prep time, I have never heard a better sounding system.

I was in the money seat for the first demo of Ratatouille (shotgun scene) and the sound clarity and bass impact were just about perfect. It was truly the best rendition of that movie scene I have heard and I cannot imagine it sounding better on any system regardless of price. Unfortunately, we spent quite a bit of time on War of the Worlds and it may just be that I am tired of that movie and its bass heavy scenes but it was not as impressive as what preceded and followed. The next standout demo was Open Range. Although the video quality is lacking, the shootout scene (Ch 14) is a great test of a systems dynamic capabilities. Again, the Seaton HT system rendered this scene better than any system I have heard. Mark got kind of crazy with the volume on this one a pushed it to reference and a bit above and the speakers remained clear and strong regardless … truly an amazing performance.

There was some time spent on two channel music and although I did not really sit in the “money seat” for any of the selections I can verify the off axis performance of the Catalysts was very good. My take is that these are HT speakers first and foremost but that they can provide clarity, imaging and soundstage that many “high end” cannot.

To sum it up, I cannot imagine there is a better audio option for a 3-6000 cf home theater than Marks combo that I heard yesterday. The powered DSP controlled Catalysts, Sparks and Submersive(s) take HT audio to levels of performance that you have to hear to believe. I am not unhappy with my current setup and I am not likely (note the hedging) to spend the considerable amount necessary to gain the 15-20% performance delta that I might realize, but if I were starting from scratch and had the budget, I would be very tempted. A truly a remarkable system (in my humble and uber-amateur opinion).

Thanks again for letting me hear your system Peter and it was nice meeting you all.

Some pics:

Catalysts LCR

Lumis/Sparks

Sparks Closeup

DCX2496 (command center)

Mark rolling eyes at question:p

More teaching-explaining

Keith Yates holding court

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Ok Rob ill split the shipping and pay you half of what you paid for your current setup , including subs, so you can give mark some business. I'm not happy about splitting the shipping but ill do you that favor. You owe me :D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Drool......:D Nice write up RMK, and pretty much what I expected to hear based on what I've read about Mark Seaton's stuff! Man I'd love to hear a set up like that.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Ok Rob ill split the shipping and pay you half of what you paid for your current setup , including subs, so you can give mark some business. I'm not happy about splitting the shipping but ill do you that favor. You owe me :D
Your generosity is not suprising nor unexpected. Can I think it over ...:p

Drool......:D Nice write up RMK, and pretty much what I expected to hear based on what I've read about Mark Seaton's stuff! Man I'd love to hear a set up like that.
Thanks, it was all a lot of fun and very educational. Mr. Yates has a rather large cranium and told some great stories about the "high end" of the HT market. Mark had things pretty well dialed in and that can make a huge difference.

Jeff P has offered to come and visit and do a similar setup for my system if I can get my shite together and put together a Meet like Peter's.

I'm going to be giving this serious consideration as I would really like to hear my stuff optomized by a pro.:cool:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Nice writeup RMK! and thanks for sharing your experience here...

I felt the same as you did when I heard the Catalysts and the Sparks as well as the Submersive... Mark really builds amazing products, and are IMO pretty much the top of the heap for HT - I was also astounded by the Open Range session, which nearly blew my shirt off... amazing to say the least - just over the top impactful.

Build quality is also fantastic.

I thought they sounded really good with music, but didn't get enough time in the seat for a real true passionate listening session.

If I had a dedicated HT, I wouldn't hesitate to have a front stage with Catalysts and sparks for surrounds - the are extremely powerful to say the least.

I wish you good luck in not buying them.... :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
rmk, is that an RS2, or RS1? Did it ever get fired up, and compared with the Sim2? I know we are in the loudspeaker subforum, but I gotta know! :D

I know the JVC can't compare with the "V12 horsepower" in lumens, but I'm just curious how much better the Sim2 are. I know they are, but I just want to know by how many orders of magnitude. :p

I know the ambient lighting in there makes video comparisons pointless, but maybe the shootout went into the evening, I dunno.

Maybe the Sim2 has enough lumens to still look good with that much ambient light. :eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
rmk, is that an RS2, or RS1? Did it ever get fired up, and compared with the Sim2? I know we are in the loudspeaker subforum, but I gotta know! :D

I know the JVC can't compare with the "V12 horsepower" in lumens, but I'm just curious how much better the Sim2 are. I know they are, but I just want to know by how many orders of magnitude. :p

I know the ambient lighting in there makes video comparisons pointless, but maybe the shootout went into the evening, I dunno.

Maybe the Sim2 has enough lumens to still look good with that much ambient light. :eek:
It is an RS1 and it is the projector that convinced me to buy my HD100 (RS2). The Screen is a Firehawk and the room is not light controlled. I was really impressed with the PQ of the RS1 and that screen in that room.

Re the Sim2 Lumis, @$40K it is a bit beyond what most could afford for an HT projector. But like a supermodel, she was fun to look at.:cool:;)

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Wow, excellent post. Hopefully I'll be able to hear these some day,

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Very cool!

Can you tell me about the Sparks? Those are the active monitors? Did you get to hear those on their own, and, if so, how'd they sound?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Very cool!

Can you tell me about the Sparks? Those are the active monitors? Did you get to hear those on their own, and, if so, how'd they sound?
Yes active and no not really, they were being used for surround duty only and most of the time I was standing in the back next to the SB's that were almost never playing. We heard mostly 5.1 and 2 channel. The little bit I heard from them sounded nice.

There is a report of a guy who just bought them to use as his LCR's on the Seaton forum. My guess is that in a smallish room and combined with a good sub they would be tits:p.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Yes active and no not really, they were being used for surround duty only and most of the time I was standing in the back next to the SB's that were almost never playing. We heard mostly 5.1 and 2 channel. The little bit I heard from them sounded nice.

There is a report of a guy who just bought them to use as his LCR's on the Seaton forum. My guess is that in a smallish room and combined with a good sub they would be tits:p.
Thanks for the info, I couldn't find any Googling. I'm always interested in new nearfield monitors. I wonder how those perform in the time domain with those ports.

Oh, where is the beer?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the info, I couldn't find any Googling. I'm always interested in new nearfield monitors. I wonder how those perform in the time domain with those ports.

Oh, where is the beer?
Mark mentioned some anomalies in the coaxial drivers direct on axis performance. It seems as though the excellent off axis performance comes at a cost, which brings into question their use as nearfield monitors.

R

Robof83

Audioholic
Did you get a chance to see how they were hooked up? For example, would one power outlet be enough?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
My impressions … the build quality and appearance of all of Marks products is top notch. He had several of the new wood veneer finishes on display and they were very nice but honestly, my preference was for the basic black finish of the Catalysts/Sparks.

Hey Rob..... you mentioned the wood veneer finishs on display, can I assume that they were only of the Submersives...?

I'm not sure if he got finishes on any of his other products as of yet...

If there are any pictures of those I would love to see different camera viewpoints, even though I saw the pics posted in his dedicated threads...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hey Rob..... you mentioned the wood veneer finishs on display, can I assume that they were only of the Submersives...?

I'm not sure if he got finishes on any of his other products as of yet...

If there are any pictures of those I would love to see different camera viewpoints, even though I saw the pics posted in his dedicated threads...
You are correct, only the Submersives. The room was dark and as you can tell, my photos don't do them justice. If you want finish samples I think Mark will send you some and I recall seeing some examples somewhere ... :confused:.

Mark and the GTG host Peter (Fugueness) are taking some "glam shots" of the Catalysts and Sparks today (Peter is an excellent photographer) so I imagine those will get posted to Marks Website or at least Forum soon.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks buddy... I am patient, so I'll wait for the pics... :)

B

Bittornado

Audiophyte
Hello and thank you for the nice review.
How would you think that these babies would compare to other heavily powered passive speakers like Viennas klimt series, MBL:s and such? Obviousely another price tag på those mentioned but what are the downsides of catalysts and sparks in your opinion? I'm somewhat puzzled to what might have been sacrificed in Mark's design in terms of sound attributes compared to more stabilished counterparts like Nola, Vienna, MBL, sona faber, acoustic audios, ESA:s and such.
In all honesty I have not heard all of those speakers mentioned earlier, but it would be nice to get some kind of understanding to what other speakers might be doing better than catalysts and sparks to be able to make a fair comparison!

Sincerely,
/B.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis