C

caupina

Full Audioholic
I'm a big SEAL fan, so when I came across the double CDs which contain the entire album in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96kHz/24-bit), I decided to buy them all, even though I already had the entire regular CD collection, and man what a difference!!!!!!. I put his debut album "Seal", hit #9 which is called "Violet" (one of my favorites), hit the Multi Channel Input in my receiver, and the sound was awesome!!!! I was able to hear sounds that never heard in the other regulars CD. I have a question though, when I play the CD on my DVD player, and I push the "display" on the player, my TV shows "PPCM 5.1ch 96Khz/24bit", but would I take any advantage of this if I'm using the analog inputs (Multi Channel) of my receiver as opposed to the digital one???. Would it make any difference???

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Just one clarification, the box comes with the regular CD and a DVD-Audio with the entire album in Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (or Stereo) plus some videos in Dolby Digital.

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
Seal

You would need a DVD-Audio capable player to listen to the DVD-Audio mix. Are you listening to that or the DDigital or DTS mix also included on that second disc?

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
I do have a DVD-Audio player, Onkyo DV-CP802, but when I play it, the DTS or DD indicators don't light up on my DVD player or receiver because the tracks are not encoded in either one of them, only the video extras are DD encoded.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can't play LPCM (DVD-A) via digital unless you have both a player and receiver capable of doing so, which means standard digital (optical and coaxial) will not work for SACD or DVD-A. Big fan of Seal too, but was ticked off when they came out with the hires version of the best of double disc set right after I bought the CD version....

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
So this 96Khz/24-bit means what then???? Just a higher resolution??? My question was if there were any advantages and how I could make use of them.
j_garcia: you should give it a shot at these albums, for example on Seal debut album, the "Violet" track, has new sounds (like new synthesizer melodies, you can spot them right away but the song remains the same but fuller, if you know what I mean) , may be there were added later (remastered and/or remixed) but it definitely sounds a lot better.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Yes - higher resolution than CD (44.1 khz / 16 bit) and DD/DTS (which are compressed surround formats). You obviously have heard the benefits which you can only take advantage of with your multichannel analog outputs from your dvd player to your receiver's inputs. Keep in mind that your receiver can't do the bass management at this point (unless it does analog bass management), so you need to set that up in your dvd player to produce the smoothest sound (that means setting speakers to large or small, setting the crossover frequency, etc . . .). As j_garcia said, this is not necessary if you have a dvd player/receiver combination that allows for the digital transfer of this information via HDMI, firewire, or some other proprietary format such as Denon Link for Denon products.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
OK. Thanks alandamp. I own a Yamaha HTR5890, how do I know if it does analog bass management???? I've done all the speaker set-up myself using the YPAO feature and some twiddling on my own.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
caupina said:
OK. Thanks alandamp. I own a Yamaha HTR5890, how do I know if it does analog bass management???? I've done all the speaker set-up myself using the YPAO feature and some twiddling on my own.
Analog bass management is pretty rare. I looked quickly at your receiver on Yamaha's website, and from what I can tell, it doesn't do it. You've done the speaker setup for your receiver - now you need to do it in your dvd player because that processing takes place in the digital realm. With DVD-audio discs, you are decoding the signal in your player, and then sending the analog info to your receiver. All of the YPAO stuff only applies to digital signals.

majorloser

majorloser

Seal in HD

If you like Seal, you need to check out the Voom: HD Network channel RAVE.
"Seal: One Night to Remember" on

July 24: 2:00PM
July 27: 2:00AM, 8:00PM
July 30: 5:00AM
August 1: 10:00AM
August 5: 4:00PM
August 6: 6:00PM

Voom channels are also available on DISH Network (RAVE is channel 9470)

Seal performs for a specially invited audience live in Dusseldorf, Germany with a fifty piece orchestra. I caught it the other night. It quite good and in HD you can't complain.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Thanks again!!!. You guys are the best!!!!.
MajorLoser: I'd heard of that concert and I know the DVD is coming out pretty soon (I read on the SEAL website). I don't have DISH or HD for that matter so the DVD is my only option.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis