SBR speaker buzzing problem with vsx-815

R

rparamount

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I just recently purchased a Pioneer vsx-815 and ran into a problem with my surround back right speaker buzzing. I switched out the wires and the speakers for different ones but continued to hear the buzzing so I know it's not the wires or speakers causing it. I took the receiver back in to the store and exchanged it for another vsx-815 and tried it out again. This time I heard the buzzing in the same surround back right speaker but it was a lot quieter than with the first receiver but still loud enough to notice. At this point i'm not going to exchange it for another vsx-815 cause i'm sufficiently ticked off, but I am going to the store tomorrow to upgrade to a 1015 which I think I should have just got in the first place. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their vsx-815? Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Regards, RP

R

rparamount

Audiophyte
Hi guys, just an update for you: I picked up the 1015 and am no long experiencing the speaker buzzing problem and i'm using the same wires and speakers. I guess it was the receiver after all. I must have gotten unlucky and received two bad receivers in a row.

-Cheers, RP

D

DDB5454

Audiophyte
hey man, I just this receiver and have run into the same problem. I'd get the 1015 also but my speakers are 100 watt speakers and I believe the 1015 is 120 watts. what a bummer.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
DDB5454 said:
hey man, I just this receiver and have run into the same problem. I'd get the 1015 also but my speakers are 100 watt speakers and I believe the 1015 is 120 watts. what a bummer.
dont worry about having 100 watt speakers, the 1015tx doesnt put out 120 watts to all speakers, be lucky to get 60 watts all channels driven. I'd say upgarde you'll like the extra power and features.

D

DDB5454

Audiophyte
hey man how loud was your buzz? Mine you can't hear unless you are like right next to your speaker with your ear. Just wondering if your buzz was louder than mine.

R

rparamount

Audiophyte
Hey there, I have 100 watt JBL speakers for my surrounds (the front left and right are floor standing Kenwoods rated higher) and it works fine with my 1015, so don't worry about buying a 1015 at all.

As for your other question - the first 815 I bought you could hear the buzzing from about 2 feet away. The 2nd one I got after exchanging it you could only hear from about 1/2 a foot away.

I also posted this message on another site and there is another guy who had run into the same problems with the same receiver. I'm thinking that this many vsx-815 receivers experiencing the same problem can't be a coincidence, so to whomever is thinking about buying this receiver - make sure you listen to your rear surround channels for the buzzing.

After upgrading to the 1015 I have had no more issues and you get the bonus of component video upconversion. This receiver is so good for this price point that I wish I had just bought it right from the beginning and saved myself the hassle. Having said that - if you find an 815 without the buzzing problem then you have on your hands a decent receiver at a great budget price. Good luck to ya!

-Cheers, RP

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis