"Saw" DTS ES 6.1... Just picked it up. Wow!

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
"Saw" DTS ES 6.1...

I didn't go see this movie when it was in Theaters but I definately heard a lot about it... I'm not a huge fan of 'Scary Movies' as they are usually really lame but I decided to pick this one up anyway. Watched it last night and I came away fairly impressed. The movie is OK, but quite honestly after all I'd heard about it I think I expected more... the plot is a bit disappointing and overall not very impressive. The acting is also less than stellar. The Audio however is, in my opinion, OUTSTANDING. I was blown away more than a few times! :eek: :D

Anyone else purchase this one yet? What did you think? :cool:

If you haven't seen it... it's worth a look, especially for the audio.

Last edited:
nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. The "directors" of this movie should never get a contract to make another movie. Ever. Worst and most over-rated movie of 2004. My friends and I went expecting to see the creepiest, goriest movie around. Instead we were treated to plot holes, horrendously bad acting (Cary Elwes's performance was so terrible, it was comical), and very few suprises. We went opening weekend and the theater was pretty full and nearly everyone was in hysterics over the poor acting. Literally, over 100 people were laughing out loud by the end of the movie, and I'm not talking about a bunch of 16 year olds, people of all ages that were shocked by how bad it was. Not scary, not good, not recommended. We still laugh when we think about it... perhaps it's worth buying for the comic relief? Rent, if anything...

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
nick_danger said:
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. The "directors" of this movie should never get a contract to make another movie. Ever. Worst and most over-rated movie of 2004. My friends and I went expecting to see the creepiest, goriest movie around. Instead we were treated to plot holes, horrendously bad acting (Cary Elwes's performance was so terrible, it was comical), and very few suprises. We went opening weekend and the theater was pretty full and nearly everyone was in hysterics over the poor acting. Literally, over 100 people were laughing out loud by the end of the movie, and I'm not talking about a bunch of 16 year olds, people of all ages that were shocked by how bad it was. Not scary, not good, not recommended. We still laugh when we think about it... perhaps it's worth buying for the comic relief? Rent, if anything...
Whatch out Ebert... your job in jeopordy. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Like i said, I expected a lot more... but the audio was impressive.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
I've got the movie here, but have not seen it yet....... Is it blood and gutts?

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
Ilovemovies said:
I've got the movie here, but have not seen it yet....... Is it blood and gutts?
Not nearly as much as I expected.

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
ok I saw the movie "SAW" last night , totally impressed with the 6.1 sound, well done, excellent sound effects.

However I was not that impressed with the acting, especially the Doctor, I can't remember exactly what scene it was but the doctor said something to Andy, and i starting laughing.. I thought is he trying to be funny or is this just bad acting...

if you like this type of puzzle solving, phsycological fear type stuff, I suggest the movie "Cube" the first one.....IMHO- this movie achieved what "SAW" was trying to achieve, only without going into the land of OZ and trying to make you think your still in Kansas

I think there is a difference between a good phsycological thriller, The Cube, and a sick twisted piece of crap.....

Unfortunately They went to far and they didn't need to

anyways, that is my 2 scents for what it is worth

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Quig,

I agree. Great audio. Very cool to see the discrete 6.1 pop up on the Denon. It excites us 7.1 dudes. Low budget actors. Terrible ending - not possible - they would have noticed, don't ya think??? But awesome surround sound. I'm the guy who looks for the DTS label on the back of movies at Blockbuster rather than read what the film is about. Got any other great sounding movies advice? I'm trying to get Flight of the Phoenix, but it's always out. I got the Blockbuster $9.99 unlimited rentals for a month and loving it! What a bargain! There's just not enough DTS encoded DVD's out right now. Very disappointing!

I

Ilovemovies

Audioholic Intern
Blade 2 is amazing sound!! gave our 2 backs and rear centre a good work out, especially near the end with the music ....

Also Flight of the Pheonix is good sound IMHO

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Quig,

I agree. Great audio. Very cool to see the discrete 6.1 pop up on the Denon. It excites us 7.1 dudes. Low budget actors. Terrible ending - not possible - they would have noticed, don't ya think??? But awesome surround sound. I'm the guy who looks for the DTS label on the back of movies at Blockbuster rather than read what the film is about. Got any other great sounding movies advice? I'm trying to get Flight of the Phoenix, but it's always out. I got the Blockbuster $9.99 unlimited rentals for a month and loving it! What a bargain! There's just not enough DTS encoded DVD's out right now. Very disappointing!
Yup. The Audio is damn good but the movie is decent at best.

I bought Flight of the Phoenix and honestly, I just wasn't that impressed. It's OK, but not great. ;)

$9.99/Month for Unlimited Rentals at Blockbuster? Hmmmmm... I may have to look into that. :cool:

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
My best friend worked on the sound from that movie. He went out to LA after getting fired from the job to hang out with a friend of ours who is a producer and who is in the band Snake River Conspiracy. When he got out there he and jason got offered to work on it. Really rad. He went from working at Expo (the worst place ever) Design Center to working with Charlie Clouser. Pretty rad. (Me jealous? Yeah a lil' bit)

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Cube? You're kidding, right?

Ilovemovies said:
ok I saw the movie "SAW" last night , totally impressed with the 6.1 sound, well done, excellent sound effects.

However I was not that impressed with the acting, especially the Doctor, I can't remember exactly what scene it was but the doctor said something to Andy, and i starting laughing.. I thought is he trying to be funny or is this just bad acting...

if you like this type of puzzle solving, phsycological fear type stuff, I suggest the movie "Cube" the first one.....IMHO- this movie achieved what "SAW" was trying to achieve, only without going into the land of OZ and trying to make you think your still in Kansas

I think there is a difference between a good phsycological thriller, The Cube, and a sick twisted piece of crap.....

Unfortunately They went to far and they didn't need to

anyways, that is my 2 scents for what it is worth

Did you and I see the same movie? Saw (opening scene) - They wake up in a nasty room bound and confused. Cube (opening scene) - They wake up in a cube confused. A cube!! Plot holes? Bad acting? A ridiculous story? An unsatisfactory ending? My God, this may be the definitive movie.

Saw may not have been perfect, but I would say the acting and the plot was above average for the genre. They didn't use ridiculous amounts of blood and gore, or rely on stupid horror movie cliches. It was a psychological thriller that kept you guessing.

Cube???????? I'm sorry, but by recommending this movie to anyone, I had to say something.

F

flsalinas

Enthusiast
For a good DTS-ES movie and campy horror fun try the orginal Evil Dead. I dont know if you can rent the one with the DTS-ES encoding on it(I purchased mine) but if you can rent it. I think you might enjoy it alot more than SAW.

Cheers

sixdouble532one

sixdouble532one

Audioholic Intern
I like the Cube. But it is a rather weak movie in the scheme of everything. There is alot of interesting stuff about how the movie was made and where the actors went after that movie. (Leaven-Young girl- deep space 9 then to the dead zone, Worth-the computer guy went to stargate sg1-stargate atlantis) What does that movie have for sound?

C

CANNIBALLISM77

Audiophyte
Yes

Quig said:
I didn't go see this movie when it was in Theaters but I definately heard a lot about it... I'm not a huge fan of 'Scary Movies' as they are usually really lame but I decided to pick this one up anyway. Watched it last night and I came away fairly impressed. The movie is OK, but quite honestly after all I'd heard about it I think I expected more... the plot is a bit disappointing and overall not very impressive. The acting is also less than stellar. The Audio however is, in my opinion, OUTSTANDING. I was blown away more than a few times! :eek: :D

Anyone else purchase this one yet? What did you think? :cool:

If you haven't seen it... it's worth a look, especially for the audio.
IVE SEEN IT LIKE 20 TIMES AND SAW2 I THINK THEY ARE GOOD MOVIES OF COURSE I LIKE **** LIKE THAT SO I WOULD LIKE IT

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis