Samsung Smart TV Video Review with the LED 8000 Series

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Samsung has been making TVs for quite some time, but now they've released a new line of televisions they are dubbing: Smart TVs. You know, aside from the transition from standard definition CRT monitors to high-definition flat panels, TVs haven't really changed much over the past several years. They still bring you the same programming from cable or satellite you've been watching since you learned how to point a remote control at the screen and click. But TVs need to change. I mean, I don't know about you, but most of what I watch these days comes from the Internet or a cloud-based source for movies. We're talking about Netflix, Hulu Plus and VUDU, among other sources. But how do you get that content to that expensive flat panel you purchased for Christmas last year? Well you can do what many of us do and connect your laptop to your TV with a dangling cable... Or... and this is cool... you can look for manufacturers who really seem to "get" emerging media and the new content marketplace. Samsung's SmartTV platform is positioned squarely in line with this kind of idea - and it's represented in full by their LED 8000 series televisions.

Discuss "Samsung Smart TV Video Review with the LED 8000 Series" here. Read the article.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Wow, that's a great video overview! Thanks Clint!

It's a very compelling platform and really, isn't that what we had hoped for the HTPC to be? It would be great if the manufacturers could agree on a standard interface, but I know that's not the kind of world we live in. :D

I look forward to seeing how Sony, LG, Panasonic, or even Vizio compare.

Anyone think some apps will be built into projectors the next round, too??

Later...

spyboy

spyboy

Junior Audioholic
Unfortunate that the Samsung 8000 is an LED edge lit design. That is what is responsible for the ultra-slim panel. Too bad that edge-lit is not the best form of lighting. In a recent review, the reviewer stated that the irregularity in screen lighting of the edge lit design of the 8000 was very disappointing.

When Samsung brings out more models that are fully back-lit with local dimming, that will be something to rave about.

Apps are just a hair ahead of 3D when it comes to TVs.

T

tnilsson

Audiophyte
Smart TV is not all that smart . . .

Smart TV has a lot of potential, but it is not all it could be. Not even close. You can access Hulu Plus (the pay version) but not Hulu (the free version). You can access Netflix (though my picture repeatedly drops out for half a second during Netflix use whereas it does not over my Wii or computer using the same wireless system). But you can't ABC's free internet shows and you can't access other free TV websites other than YouTube. It would be great if Samsung let you access Hulu and regular internet sites of your choice (rather than theirs . . .).

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
awesome vid review Clint. I think this is going to be a great product, love the search feature. But I think I'd wait for the next version if I really wanted the Smart TV features. Let it sink in a bit, work out bugs.

There's no way to anticipate the kinds of problems people will have with it now. But it'll be much better in the next version.

P

PaulF

Audioholic
I like the video. It was polished and well delivered by Clint... but I'm really struggling with trying to figure out if it was a truly independent review or if it was a paid advertisement?

Either way is fine so long as the latter is labelled accordingly.

K

k_lewis

Junior Audioholic
Smart TV has a lot of potential, but it is not all it could be. Not even close. You can access Hulu Plus (the pay version) but not Hulu (the free version). You can access Netflix (though my picture repeatedly drops out for half a second during Netflix use whereas it does not over my Wii or computer using the same wireless system). But you can't ABC's free internet shows and you can't access other free TV websites other than YouTube. It would be great if Samsung let you access Hulu and regular internet sites of your choice (rather than theirs . . .).
I agree, the app choices are limited and it is very disapointing that Hulu free is not there. One can hope that the choices will get more flexible as time progresses- But, at least there *are* apps now whereas before the introduction of this feature there were none. We primarily use the Netflix app, my LAN is gig ethernet and I'm getting 3.56mb at the TV (per the TV's reporting option). No drop-outs, stellar quality. I do not recommend using wifi for connectivity unless you have no choice.

I have a C series 46" Sammy LED, and also just picked up a 65" UN65C8000 LED a few days ago (fabulous!)- However, I have an unexpected hookup on the 85" Panasonic plasma through one of my connections, so I have placed the 65" Sammy up for sale on the classifieds here. Got the 65" at cost so passing on the deal, otherwise I'll simply return it to my dealer for a refund in a couple of weeks. Really nice set though, it is amazing that Samsung can manufacture a 65" display at less than an inch thin.

A

Azergoth

Enthusiast
Something you should know:

It's impossible to read HD films or 3D movies from an USB stick or hard drive!!

ExFat (aka Fat64) is not supported, so you can forget large (> 4Go) files!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis