Samsung Slim-Fit CRT's and other CRT HDTV's

D

deecue

Enthusiast
Hey everybody, first time poster, long time lurker ;).. I love the community you guys got going here and could use some advice on getting a new set but here's the bg story first (sorry for the long post):

::::::::::BG Story:::::::::::::::
In June 2004, I got the Samsung 26" Dynaflat HDTV TXP2670WHX (see link below). 3 months later, I hit a powering issue that needed to be serviced and Samsung set up the repair with a local place. It took 3 months for the issue to get resolved (was quoted 2 weeks) and I still don't know if it was the repair shop or Samsung till this day. Either way, I got the set back and the geometry was all screwed up, so I demanded a brand new set from samsung. Which they did after a good amount of complaining. Now, I've had this new set for about a year now and hit a very similar power issue. Not as bad as before but still annoying. Called Samsung up to get it fixed, but the problem is the closest repair shop from my new place is 2.5 hours away. After a month of Samsung trying to find another repair shop, they gave and decided to set up an exchange instead. Good news, they don't make my tv anymore, so it would be replaced with an even better. Wow, I'm impressed. Plus this new girl I've been talking to at Samsung is great. Very helpful compared to the last time i had a problem where it was like pulling teeth. Anyways, after pulling some strings for getting a better replacement, she gave me three options:

1. Exchange the TV for one of these two 30" models: TX-R3079WH or TX-R3080WH (see links below) The 80 is supposidly the same tv as the 79 only with cases designed differently (which all do you like better? I like the 79 better but the 80 is growing on me more and mroe. Problem is i can't find a single store that sells the 80 to check it out in person. Plus the 80 gives me a warmer feeling in my stomach thinking that it's a later model number and maybe ironed out the kinks from the 79)

2. Exchange the TV for another Samsung set I'd be interested in plus the cost difference on my part (i.e. I could ask for a 42" plasma and payout the $1500 difference or whatever)

3. Get the original price I paid back to me: $700

:::::::::::::MY THOUGHTS::::::::::::::::

In regards to my options at Samsung:

Option 1:

Pros: Will be getting a much better tv than what I have now for free (retails ~$850-950 in stores). Those sets are really nice looking design wise, have a great picture on them and some great features (built in tuner, dual rf inputs, hdmi, lna, only 16" deep, etc)

Cons: Many people regarded the slim fits as have bad bowing issues. One person claimed that 1 out of every 20 slimfit set has bowing issues according to the person he spoke to at Samsung. When I looked around, the one at Best Buy had bad bowing issues, while the one at Circuit City had some, but not very bad at all. According to the nice girl I spoke with at samsung, sets prior to august manufacturing had bowing issues but this has since been fixed. She did admit to replacing a few TX-R3079WH, but they were all prior to august dates. And she said she hasn't seen a single claim for the TX-R3080WH. Another con would be my past experience with Samsung. While this time around has been a good one, the first problem was a disaster and it took 3 months with a lot of phones calls to correct. So I sometimes wonder is Samsung is more of bulk electronics maker rather than a quality television manufacturer.

Option2: Not really interested as i don't know of any other samsung model i'd want based on my research. But i'm open if some of you know of a few to recommend.

Option3:

Pro's: I can go with and to any store/manufacturer i want. Even add some money to it and get something else..

Cons: It takes 4 - 6 weeks to get the check in the mail and 700 bucks doesn't compare to the retail price i could get with the model they are willing to exchange it for.

:::::::::::::::NOW::::::::::::::::::::
With that in mind, I would love to hear some advice from you guys. Advice on what I should do in regards to Samsung (go with the replacement/money) and if it is the money, what recommendations do you have for me..Basically, what i'm looking at criteria wise is the following:

- I'm looking at spending $700 to $1000 on a new hdtv.
-PQ is at it's best for what i can get. This, to me, is more important than size of the screen, size of the unit, and everything else. I'm really big on PQ over other features.
-CRT (i'm not against other suggestions, I just think a CRT would look best at this price and size.. plus I don't care about how bulky or thin the tv is and i'm also a generally big fan of CRT's)
-27"-34" preferably. I'm thinking 30" for the money though.
-Built-in tuner (i'm so used to getting free HD as it is now, I don't know how i would do without a built in tuner. but i'm open to models without it since i'm gonna be building a htpc within the next year or so and will be using a tuner through that eventually.)
-Well made.. I don't need this thing dying out on me in 3 years.

Models I'm interested in besides the 2 sammy's:

Panasonic 30" CT-30WX15: $650
Pro's: I hear great things about this set and it looked great in the store too. The 34" was even nicer but I can't justify $1200 for 4 more inches when the 30" is only $650. I really like Panasonic and think even their pro video gear is top notch. Based on that, I would think it would be a quality made tv as well.
Con's: No built in tuner. (if this tv had a tuner, I would buy it in a second).

Sony 30" KV30HS420: $800
Pro's: Nice picture. Great Reviews. Consumer Reports highest rating in 2004.
Con's: I'm not a big fan of Sony as a company. No built in tuner. Horrible warranty (only parts are covered, you pick up labor). I also realize the KD-30XS955 has a built in tuner, but i dunno if i can warrant the extra cost for the same size tv with supposidly better PQ (haven't seen it so can't say). For the same cost, I could go with the 34" Panasonic.

Plus, any others you guys would like to mention.

:::::::::::::LINKS::::::::::::::::
Original Samsung 26" Dynaflat:
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXP2670WHX%2FXAA&selTab=Specifications

Samsung TX-R3079WH
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXR3079WHKXXAA

Samsung TX-R3080WH
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=TXR3080WHKXXAA

Panasonic CT-30WX15:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?displayTab=O&storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&itemId=93197&catGroupId=24978&modelNo=CT-30WX15&surfModel=CT-30WX15&cacheProgram=11002&cachePartner=7000000000000005702

Sony KV30HS420:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KV30HS420&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_27"to32"TVs

::::::::::::END::::::::::::::

Well, that's the end of my deal.. Now i pass the situation on to you all for advice. If you're still here, i appreciate the effort for reading such a long post and the time to respond.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

L

lincolnhayes

Audioholic Intern
I'm a little scared to ask, but what is your question again?

D

deecue

Enthusiast
Get the refund.
Yup.. gonna do just that.. Did a ton of researching and reading last week as well as visited multiple stores and those samsung slim fits aren't worth a dime because of how bad the bowing is imo.

thanks for listening..

Nick Amaral

Audiophyte
model's TX-R3080WH TX-R3081WH are suppose to be for U.S. only and they too had some gimps in them, well the TX-R3080WH had something to do with sound and TX-R3081WH fixed that problem. The TX-R3079WH had three problems when it was first released.
1.bowing
2.em-discolor on the bottom left or right corners and
3.??? I forgot what samsung tech told me.
I am getting the TX-R3079WH today and just had to exchange it, because of discoloration in the corners. I like to see this bowing effect and I know you can see it on a blue screen, but like to still see this.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis