Samsung not making 50" ?

M

myrlin

Enthusiast
I am a big Samsung fan and am starting to research upcoming models of TVs to replace my Living Room main area TV. However, I do not see a 50" version of any of the new 8 series or upcoming models.

Am I missing something that Samsung is not making 50" screens?
:cool:
I spoke with Samsung tech support and they actually had no answers , heh.

M

myrlin

Enthusiast
If you will notice, none of the upcoming 2010 lcds are 50"

The 50" seems to be reserved for Plasma new availabilities.

My main viewing area is roughly 10 ft dead center. The secondary view spot is roughly 2 feet right of center.

A 46" would be too small so should i be looking at Plasmas? 52" is too big.

L

longhornguy

Enthusiast
Dude, you are splitting hairs. Get the 52" and be happy.

M

myrlin

Enthusiast
Dude, you are splitting hairs. Get the 52" and be happy.
Now if only you even looked at the lineups, read this thread and noticed 52 isn't an option either, your useless response would be worth more.
:D

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Well, at 10', I'd buy the largest you can afford for the best HT experience. I'm at 91" viewing a 55" dia. (16:9) image in SD. When I do my next upgrade, I'll be at about 10' as well and I'll do a 73"-75" display.

OOPS, missed the last part. Are you saying a 52" won't fit a space? If so then, yes, plasma is the option you need to go with.

Last edited:
BruZZi

BruZZi

Full Audioholic
If you will notice, none of the upcoming 2010 lcds are 50"

The 50" seems to be reserved for Plasma new availabilities.

My main viewing area is roughly 10 ft dead center. The secondary view spot is roughly 2 feet right of center.

A 46" would be too small so should i be looking at Plasmas? 52" is too big.
LCDs / Plasmas screen size.

The 52" size is exclusive to LCDs. While 50" to Plasmas.
So yes, If you want to get a 50" panel then Plasma should be your choice.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Now if only you even looked at the lineups, read this thread and noticed 52 isn't an option either, your useless response would be worth more.
:D
It wasn't a worthless reply - I was thinking the same thing, and there wasn't anything in this thread that indicates 52 isn't an option. You just said it was "too big", which means...what? It's essentially the same as a 50inch; without a side-by-side comparison you wouldn't know which was which.

Are you saying the vertical or horizontal dimension of the 52" model won't fit a specific space, but the 50inch plasma dimensions will fit?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
52" is too big.
You really need to explain this statement because it doesn't make sense to almost everyone reading this thread trying to help you out.

Plenty of 50" plasmas out there, it's a standard plasma size. 52" is the standard LCD size. The difference in size is barely visibly noticable, and case sizes depend on manufacturers above all else.

Frankly, I'd be looking at 55"+ sizes if budget allowed.

M

myrlin

Enthusiast
You really need to explain this statement because it doesn't make sense to almost everyone reading this thread trying to help you out.

Plenty of 50" plasmas out there, it's a standard plasma size. 52" is the standard LCD size. The difference in size is barely visibly noticable, and case sizes depend on manufacturers above all else.

Frankly, I'd be looking at 55"+ sizes if budget allowed.
If my main viewing area is 10ft, isn't 52 too big? I've looked over a lot of viewing distance calculators and such and i dont want to have a TV thats too big for the distance I am sitting.
Maybe my thoughts on things ive been told is wrong but I thought you had to be a certain distance from a larger TV in order to not lose clarity.

Hell, Id love a 55" but I thought that sitting only 10ft away would be bad for that size.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If my main viewing area is 10ft, isn't 52 too big? I've looked over a lot of viewing distance calculators and such and i dont want to have a TV thats too big for the distance I am sitting.
Maybe my thoughts on things ive been told is wrong but I thought you had to be a certain distance from a larger TV in order to not lose clarity.

Hell, Id love a 55" but I thought that sitting only 10ft away would be bad for that size.
There are lots of calculators out there, but the simple reality is that personal preference trumps all.

Put into perspective: THX standards will put the middle row of a movie theater about 1.5x the WIDTH of the movie screen away. So, if you are at a 10' viewing distance, than a screen which is about 80" wide (92" diagonal) is appropriate for recreation of the cinematic experience.

While it may seem insane to have a TV that large, it is actually something which feels very comfortable to movie viewing and not at all stressful for most viewers who enjoy the center of the theater.

Far more realistically, for day-to-day viewing of TV, at 10-12 feet you will find that you are going to be very comfortable with a 55" to 72" diagonal display.

FACT: The number one complaint of owners of HDTVs after they buy one?
They wish they had bought a bigger size.

From 10' I would not recommend a TV under 60" diagonal. You will find that size to be very enjoyable and will not have any stress or issues at all viewing a display of that size.

Your budget to get such a display may not allow for something that large, but you certainly will not be overwhelmed when using it. In my decade of installing flat panel displays, there is no doubt that 50" is almost always to small once people are used to the display if it is their primary display. Every customer who I have spoken to after a sale who I talked into a larger display has been grateful that they went larger.

Seven days is about the magic number. Put it up, the display seems huge. Seven days later you are completely comfortable with the size.

M

myrlin

Enthusiast
Then I will take all your advices and start researching 55" LEDs.

I suppose I was stuck in the old way of thinking you lose quality if you sit too close to a larger TV. I have a huge Tuscan Entertainment center that is the focal point of the media area and it can easily accomadate a 55" TV. I always thought my limited distance to the main viewing couch was affecting the TV size.

Thanks everyone for their help and advice.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General

With regards to reduced image quality: For average visual acuity, this chart suggest that 50" is the MINIMUM to start getting any benefit from a 1080p TV (vs a 720p TV), and suggests about 80inches as a maximum (at 10ft viewing distance).

There will always be variations in recommendations, but any calculator that suggests that a 52" HDTV is too big for a 10 ft viewing distance is just nuts.

A

aszatk01

Audioholic Intern
I literally JUST went through this exact senario 2 days ago...my set broke and I wanted to replace it asap. I like you thought I had wanted LED/LCD (for me-because that's what is being pushed and advertised) and because the thickness is very lean where plasmas are still thicker. I was also wanting a 50'' --which you're right-is not available.

NOT true for the new 8-series plasmas by Samsung.

I ended up w/ the PN50B860. It's their flagship 50" plasma that's 1.1'' thick! Also because it's a plasma the price is $1500. You'd have to spend twice that IMO for a comparable picture in a LCD.

Look around for online reviews--very very good. Needless to say, 2 days with it i'm very pleased and happy I didn't end up w/ their bottom line 46'' LCD for the same price.

I am a big Samsung fan and am starting to research upcoming models of TVs to replace my Living Room main area TV. However, I do not see a 50" version of any of the new 8 series or upcoming models.

Am I missing something that Samsung is not making 50" screens?
:cool:
I spoke with Samsung tech support and they actually had no answers , heh.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis