Samsung DVD HD841 problems

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I've ruled all the problems back to my DVD player which I'm running DVI cable/opti for sound. The problems I'm having is loud pops when it goes from a sceen to another or at the start up menu. I've checked with a gauge from radio shack that I plugged into the wall to tell me if anything was wired wrong and everything was fine?? But one night I turn the master bedroom light off which is on the other side of the livingroom and I could hear a loud pop coming from the speakers as they were playing?

WooHoo

WooHoo

Audioholic
How does that make it the HD 841's problem? I have the same player and it has been sweet since day 1. (A little slow in response though).

Sounds like possibly a bad ground?

X

Xargos

Junior Audioholic
Hearing a pop when turning off a light switch does suggest to me that WooHoo is right about it not sounding like the HD 841 is the problem in itself. I too have the same player. I'm not too crazy about the audio quality from it's analog outs, but at least with those so far I've heard no unexpected noises.

You say that you've ruled everything else out though, so I take it you've not seen this problem with other sources or no sources turned on? If so, have you tried the player with a CD, DVD-Audio or SACD and the television off and/or disconnected? I would rule out anything that connects to the DVD player to see if there is a specific combination that fixes the problem.

If there's anything that being a computer/network technician has taught me, it's that problems don't always originate from where the biggest effect is seen.

-Xargos

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Well I have replaced the audio receiver 4 times, and changed out all my cables and tryed to unhook all the cables(TV) in the house and the last thing I did was swap out my old DVD player and ran it with the same opti cable and no noise?? I've even traded out the samsung for the same one and the new one is doing it also?? And if i'm playing a CD and skip to the next song it will do it also.

X

Xargos

Junior Audioholic
In that case, I would wonder if there is something in your house's wiring scheme that is causing a problem with HD841 players. It is possible that there is something that these players are more sensitive to than your old player was. Even if the tester from Radio Shack is right that nothing is wrong with the wiring, it doesn't guarantee that everything is perfect.

All the same, have you tried running it with coax for digital or an analog connection just to see if you get the same pop?

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
With coax it does the same sound (popping), with analog it's fine. So it seems to only be digital sound that it does this.

X

Xargos

Junior Audioholic
Hmmm... that seems a bit odd. If I get the chance I'll have to hook my HD 841 a receiver with digital inputs and see if I can recreate the problem.

If it weren't for the fact that the player is successful on the market and hasn't seemed to get any real complaints, I would wonder if there is some kind of compatibility issue with it's digital outputs and some receivers. After all, the originating digital signal should be the same regardless of whether using analog or digital outputs.

All the same, I personally will probably be moving from the HD 841 to something else. Since I'm using pure analog amps right now, I need to either have good output from onboard DACs or get an external Dolby Digital/DTS decoder. In terms of the onboard DACs, the HD 841's output seems a bit harsh compared to that of my old JVC XV-D723. In all fairness, the JVC was a higher end player than the Samsung is.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to play Digital sound is via opti cable or coax cable? Analog will not play DTS or other like it right? Because it doesn't pop in analog.

X

Xargos

Junior Audioholic
Technically all sound that is played off of a DVD is digital regardless of output format. The HD 841 can decode Dolby Digital signals into it's 5.1 analog output, which is what I am using right now. So far as I can tell there is no DTS decoding, however.

In transferring the digital signal from the player to the receiver, you are increasing, to some degree, the odds of having some kind of error. Something that could cause a small click or minor distortion (possibly almost unnoticable) on an analog signal could have a larger effect on a digital signal. A small corruption in data can yield a good sized effect in sound. I would not expect the optical connection to be very prone to having this kind of problem, though. That is, unless the Samsung's digital output section is really sensitive to some kind of interference.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
You say you've changed the receiver out 4X............with the same model? Or did you try any diff models (Yamaha,Denon)?

I'm taking a stab in the dark but it almost sounds like a synchronization problem between the 2 units. No pop in analog because the signal is already converted by the originating unit, but perhaps, as was already suggested, there's some timing or data corruption in the transfer process.

Maybe a compatability issue between the Onkyo & the Sammy?...........................just an idea.

X

Xargos

Junior Audioholic
zipper said:
You say you've changed the receiver out 4X............with the same model? Or did you try any diff models (Yamaha,Denon)?
Excellent point you make there. Without trying different models it's hard to say if this might be a specific compatibility issue between the two devices. The fact that a different DVD player does not exhibit the same problem suggests this precisely.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis