Samsung DLP not turning on...

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
hey guys,

our HLR5064WX/XAC DLP from samsung isn't turning...

When I turned it on, the cooling fan hummed to life but then the sound kept climbing up in pitch then clicked and stop... This repeats and the Lamp indicator flashes then goes off and the standby light goes on when the click happens. I had to unplug the TV to make it stop. I don't see the lamp turning on and I had to replace the color wheel motor a couple of years ago...

any clue as to why this is happening?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
hey guys,

our HLR5064WX/XAC DLP from samsung isn't turning...

When I turned it on, the cooling fan hummed to life but then the sound kept climbing up in pitch then clicked and stop... This repeats and the Lamp indicator flashes then goes off and the standby light goes on when the click happens. I had to unplug the TV to make it stop. I don't see the lamp turning on and I had to replace the color wheel motor a couple of years ago...

any clue as to why this is happening?
You have a major problem. Something is drawing way too much power and the power supply is going into protection and cycling. This is not something you will solve yourself.

I would take it for recycling or take it to an authorized service center.

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
aw dang...

goodthing its the summer...thankx, so there is nothing wrong with the lamp???

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

aw dang...

goodthing its the summer...thankx, so there is nothing wrong with the lamp???
Probably not, but the lamp I suppose could be the source of the high current draw but that would be unlikely. You need test equipment to find the reason the power supply is cycling.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
The three words on the start button provide a diagnostic code. Some codes are in the user manual but others are known by a TV repairman. The codes involve which combination of the three words are lit as well as if they cycle on and off a certain number of times for a certain duration. I just had my Samsung DLP repaired. All three words were lit indicating a bad bulb, which I replaced. The repairman looked at the three words lit and noticed they cycled on and off three times which indicated a bad color wheel, which he replaced and fixed the TV.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The three words on the start button provide a diagnostic code. Some codes are in the user manual but others are known by a TV repairman. The codes involve which combination of the three words are lit as well as if they cycle on and off a certain number of times for a certain duration. I just had my Samsung DLP repaired. All three words were lit indicating a bad bulb, which I replaced. The repairman looked at the three words lit and noticed they cycled on and off three times which indicated a bad color wheel, which he replaced and fixed the TV.
Interesting. I think more complex modern audio gear should have diagnostic codes readable by the consumer.

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Also, the repairman said my Samsung TV (in equipment list below) was a good solid TV and I assume other models are the same. He said the only thing is that the bulb and color wheel motor wear out periodically. I got the bulb for $109 (self installed) and the color wheel motor for $400 repaired in my house in about an hour. The color wheel is buried deep inside the TV electronics section and is a job for a professional. Lots of boards, brackets and assemblies to take apart for access and you wouldn't want to drop a screw inside during dissassembly or reassembly.

The repairman also said Samsungs have very reasonable parts costs and the Mitsubishi DLPs were much more expensive to repair. Thats probably due to the parts costs I am guessing.

Mainstream large screen TVs like a 61" look like they are still DLP and still $1000 or more so it is worth repairing it if your TV is large like this.

This is my first repair after about four or five years of use

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
I will put up a video or 2 to show you guys whats happening...

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
It certainly sounds to me like it's a color wheel problem. Samsung has a lot of color wheel issues and it is not uncommon for them to be replaced multiple times.

S

slisgrinder

Junior Audioholic
But the thing is that I just replaced it about a year ago and at that time when the color wheel failed, the lamp was on. Now the lamp isn't on...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I guess I'm the only dumb one that would have checked the bulb :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis