Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Is anyone familiar with these speakers? They have knock-down-dead gorgeous cabinets, I think each hand made by Jim Salk. Check out the "Veracity of the Month" and the archived photos. WOW!

I'd appreciate a brief report if anyone has heard them. Thanks.

http://www.salksound.com/

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
The Veracity of the month for June is drop dead gorgeous!!:eek:

E

evan

Junior Audioholic
my nieghbor ordered them ,hopefully he will get them in about 6 months ,and he will then sell me his vmps rm30 at a sweet price

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
salk is the one and only way to go if you want the best.

while the cabinetry is drop dead gorgeous the sound is what really is miraculous.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rikmeister said:
while the cabinetry is drop dead gorgeous the sound is what really is miraculous.
Rikmeister....do you or have you owned a set? :eek: (<---envy)

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
yes. i looked and looked . liked this one then liked that one.

looked at dali, gallo, von schweikert, vienna acoustics, dynaudio, totem, energy, and others. in the end it was the way to go. jim has a good buy on some not sold. did you look at the the available ones on his site. you can get any veneer you like. and any sonic cap you like. he will customize to your hearts content.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rikmeister said:
looked at dali, gallo, von schweikert, vienna acoustics, dynaudio, totem, energy, and others. in the end it was the way to go. jim has a good buy on some not sold. did you look at the the available ones on his site. you can get any veneer you like. and any sonic cap you like. he will customize to your hearts content.
I have corresponded briefly with Jim, and he seems like a decent chap! I'd love to dig into his offerings, but I fear I'll have to wait for the donation wagon to accidentally back up to the front of my house before any purchase of that magnitude will occur. :eek:

They are sooooo danged lovely......but will you please give us a brief and subjective report on their performance?

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
i will tell you this. the bass is fantastic with them. it is very fast . the mids

are all encompassing. and the tweeters are not ear piercing but you know they are there. listeing to a female voice you think you are in a theatre listening live . if you like boomy bass you will be disappointed. you do not need a sub with them the base is there and low too. you will need decent amps though. 30 wch will drive them but you will be disappointed. have you looked at the ht2 instead. there are some good deals on von schweikert now. also i found some good deals lately on the audio physics virgo and vienna acoustic beethoven and mozarts. i think the von schweikerts are changing they are like half price now . same with the virgo. seem to be unrealitic sales on both. what kind of music do you play. in a band you can almost hear each instrument. one big problem is that cheap cds sound really terrible. they will show all the errors in recording.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
rikmeister said:
are all encompassing. and the tweeters are not ear piercing but you know they are there. listeing to a female voice you think you are in a theatre listening live . if you like boomy bass you will be disappointed. you do not need a sub with them the base is there and low too. you will need decent amps though. 30 wch will drive them but you will be disappointed. have you looked at the ht2 instead. there are some good deals on von schweikert now. also i found some good deals lately on the audio physics virgo and vienna acoustic beethoven and mozarts. i think the von schweikerts are changing they are like half price now . same with the virgo. seem to be unrealitic sales on both. what kind of music do you play. in a band you can almost hear each instrument. one big problem is that cheap cds sound really terrible. they will show all the errors in recording.
Thanks for the info and pricing tip. I'll have to find a source here in the northwest to audition the von schweikerts and virgos. To answer your question, I enjoy a diverse range of music...really have a wide and eclectic collection of everything but (c)rap.

One unfortunate side issue is that my hearing is going, or at least is quite diminished on everything over 10kHz. I almost require a brighter top end. (One too many rock concerts and ear infections, I'd wager. :eek: )

Salk's HT2 series is probably a really good compromise from the HT3 (the cabs seem to lack his Veracity works de arte). Nevertheless, that's part of what makes them more affordable. One question that lingers with me...have you heard that LCY tweet? How does it integrate with the Seas woofers, I wonder. And one could spend thousands just on the upgrades he offers, like the Sonicaps, etc.

Where IS that rich uncle?! :(

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
rjbudz said:
Is anyone familiar with these speakers? They have knock-down-dead gorgeous cabinets, I think each hand made by Jim Salk. Check out the "Veracity of the Month" and the archived photos. WOW!

I'd appreciate a brief report if anyone has heard them. Thanks.

http://www.salksound.com/
Looks like I'm going to be the first to rain on the parade then...

Maybe it's just me but the look on those cabinets seems really OTT. Of course, whether you like the looks of something is very subjective and even us objectivists can't get away from that. ;) Maybe I'm too British for those cabinets.

Still, there's too much subjective talk on that site for my liking and where are the specs for all these speakers? There's even a "claim" to cable skepticism there until he goes on to say that these cables are different and they really do make a difference. :rolleyes: ¨~sigh~ Okay then.

Nope, I really wouldn't buy those speakers without listening to them first that's for sure.

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
AdrianMills said:

Maybe it's just me but the look on those cabinets seems really OTT. Of course, whether you like the looks of something is very subjective and even us objectivists can't get away from that. ;) Maybe I'm too British for those cabinets.

Still, there's too much subjective talk on that site for my liking and where are the specs for all these speakers? There's even a "claim" to cable skepticism there until he goes on to say that these cables are different and they really do make a difference. :rolleyes: ¨~sigh~ Okay then.

Nope, I really wouldn't buy those speakers without listening to them first that's for sure.
Either write to Jim or Dennis Murphy for measurements. I am the one who bought his first Veracity and have the HT3a's (active with DEQX). Dennis is the secret behind the crossover and he is very objective (but a gentleman compared to most who posts on forums-by the way I wrote him yesterday on speaker break-in and got his take:) ). Go over to the Madisound forum and you will find his posts over there. By the way, I am a cable skeptic as well so no comment on that, BUT Jim generally does not go in for that type of thing as evidenced by his modest set-up demo auxicillary equipment at last years Rocky Moutain Audio Show.

I have had Martin Logans Sequels, Snells, Boston Acoustic, Ascend, Paradigm Signatures, Energy Veritas and the ones I listen to are Jim's (Energy Veritas 2.4 and Paradigm Signature S4's are up stairs but I don't listen much to them). Jim's speakers are the real deal. Now whether they will float your boat is another story. That is very subjective and the room acoustics can play into it as well especially if you like say Martin Logan as opposed to Paradigm or Maggies compared to another direct radiating speaker.

The only caveat I will add is if you go with the active version HT3, the DEQX active crossovers adds a lot of latency and can be a problem in home theater set-ups if your processor cannot compensate.

One other addition, I recently had Terry Montlick test my room and it is Alpha certified and the response on the speakers was pretty darn flat (although I still have some work to do on integrating the bass iand room-which you can adjust with the DEQX).

Last edited:
Biscokid

Biscokid

Audioholic
Yeah if you are skeptical give Frank Van Alstine a call and ask what he thinks of his HT3's. He has been in the bussiness for a long time selling a high quality product at a fair cost and he has made them his reference.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
AdrianMills said:

Yep, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. You say tomahto, I say tomayto.

These speaks have received rave reviews from respected but limited sources, and thus are intriguing...but not to be put down until heard (and seen in person), Adrian. And subjective talk? I can't hear specs, anyway. Only speaks. And anyone would be foolish to buy any speakers, even with a full set of spec sheets, without auditioning them first, or having a return guarantee.

But please see an earlier thread of mine concerning speaker "upgrade". T'aint no thang. Better speakers? No. Improved speakers? No. More "live sounding"? Nope...impossible to prove. There is only the subjective "what sounds good to you (or me, in this case)...they could be cheap, they could be expensive. It's all in "what sounds good to you".

majorloser

majorloser

They are some beautiful speakers!

There is a custom installer in South Florida who makes entertainment centers with exotic woods. Bubinga and lacewood are two of the prettiest in my opinion. Would I love to have some bubinga towers!

R

randyb

Full Audioholic
majorloser said:
They are some beautiful speakers!

There is a custom installer in South Florida who makes entertainment centers with exotic woods. Bubinga and lacewood are two of the prettiest in my opinion. Would I love to have some bubinga towers!
Jim is really something. His woodworking skills are all self-taught-he is a very bright guy.

rikmeister

rikmeister

Audioholic
budz what price range are you looking at. you can get vienna acoustics at a good

price now and the von schweikerts tooo. also www.jbaudiopimp.com has some deals on used and new ones. you have to watch what he gets in. he has vienna beethovens now at good prices.

B

bandit

Audioholic
I haven't seen these before. I must say, that if their workmanship with the speaker cabinets carries over into the design of the crossovers, choice of drivers etc, etc, etc they are probably an amazing product. It is OBVIOUS that there is a lot of attention to detail here. :)

Bandit.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

There's a Salk Owners Circle over at AudioCircle. He makes the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen and he has won over a lot of people. If I had the coin my next pair of speakers would be Veracity HT3s.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
randyb said:
Either write to Jim or Dennis Murphy for measurements.
I wasn't even considering buying any of these - just putting in my cynical opinion. ;) But I really do find it surprising that basic specs like freq response, sensitivity, nominal/min impedance, etc, aren't published and you have to ask for that.

I just went back and I did find some specs, here's an interesting one for the HT2;

Recommended Amplification
30 - 150 tube watts
80 -250 solid state watts
And here's me thinking that a watt is just a watt.

To clarify what I'm trying to say, people have to be careful not to fall into an internet marketing trap these days as there are so many rip offs just waiting to happen.

I'm glad they worked out for you though, but why on earth do you keep all of those other speakers around?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
AdrianMills said:
To clarify what I'm trying to say, people have to be careful not to fall into an internet marketing trap these days as there are so many rip offs just waiting to happen.
What internet speakers have you heard and consider a ripoff?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis