Salk Sound Series vs. Aperion Versus Grand vs. Kef Q

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
What are your guys thoughts on axiom, paradigm or psb? My plan to to listen to as many speakers in person as possible and I might take up Aperion or Salk on a trial but paying for shipping both way and duty could getting pretty expensive for a trial. Aperion for instance quotes 14% duty on all prices plus shipping (still waiting on that quote).
I don't have any experience with Axiom.

I own Paradigm and PSB speakers; though not current models. In specific: I've owned the Sig 2, Studio 40, Studio 60, and PSB 400i.

If I were going to go Paradigm, and assuming there's not been some quantum shift in their sound, I'd go Sig 2 (if budget permits) and subs. All-in-all: I've moved away from Paradigm in favor of Salk. Better sound (IMO)
I truly love my PSB's. For the dollar, they are amazing speakers. Of course, they are from 20 years ago, and I don't know what PSB is doing these days.

Keep an eye on the "available now" from Salk. Full sets do come up some times, and sometimes in Canada.
Also: depending on which part of Canada you are in: Salk is in Michigan. You might be able to drive down and pick up :)

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I have the Aperion Verus bookshelves and Forte center and have loved them. Mine are paired with an HSU VTF-2 sub, and that combo is perfect for music and movies. Haven't heard the Salks so can't compare those, but did compare them side-by-side with the Focal Chorus 700 series. Both are good speakers at their price points, but I prefer the Aperions. Also love Aperion's customer service, too.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Just ignore that one :rolleyes: It won't go anywhere as I am sure you already know. I like Focal and Dynaudio also, but that doesn't mean they are the only things out there. This one is about to earn a spot on the ignore list.
Just added him.. Man, that was easy squeezee :)

And to stay on topic.. PSB imagines are super impressive IMO. I listened to the T's and minis at RMAF- loved em!
throw in a nice SVS sub or other quality sub and IMO, you'll be very pleased.
Cheers, Mac

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Salk has so many speakers it's impossible to hear them ALL. Pretty soon he will have all basement companies working for him. I've heard the SoundScapes at Chicago Expona and didn't think much if anything at all of them. And whatever else they were showcasing, forgot the model number. Is that good enough for you?
Did you ever listen to the Phil 3s? I have listened to them a few times matched with a Salk center.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
After reading some great reviews and liking the idea of internet direct I am looking at the the Aperion Verus Grand and the Salk Song Series. Since I love the sound of Kef I have decided to throw in the new Q900 as well. The idea is to keep this all between $5k and $6k (ish).

Also does anyone have experience with using the Salk's as a surround sound setup? I have read a lot of reviews on the towers but not much on the center or the surround?

Lastly, is it important to keep the speakers in a 5 speaker setup the same brand? I ask because I have read great things about the Aperion center and surrounds (book shelf) and great things about the Salk towers.
For your price range, I'd strongly recommend the Salk SongTowers plus a SongCenter for the front three speakers. I've owned SongTowers for 7 years and still love them, I got the SongCenter 2 years ago and have never regretted it. See my ST impressions post, linked in my signature line below. Dealing with Salk Sound is a pleasure, and Jim Salk does ship to Canada.

I am familiar with the Aperions, but not the KEF speakers. Aperions are decent speakers, but I don't consider them in the same sound quality class as SongTowers.

For the two rear channel speakers, you can buy something much less expensive and not suffer for it. I have small NHT SuperZeros. Their present day version sell in the USA for $99 each
SuperZero 2.1 | Bookshelf Speakers | Premium Audio Equipment

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
In Canada, PSB would probably be good to go listen to, but many of the companies you are interested in have Canadian distribution; I know for sure Ascend does. I was going to recommend the Sierras also, but got caught up in other, less useful stuff.
I second this psb has surprised me with their imagine line, very very nice stuff...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Example: I've heard 802s in three separate showrooms. With Classe, Ayre, Bryston, and Rotel electronics. Two rooms had treatment (one with bass treatment) and one did not. And more, or less the speakers sounded pretty damn amazing. Is there a difference? Sure! But not as much as you make it out to be. A great speaker always has at least something interesting in its sound character, regardless of environment. A garbage speaker is garbage anywhere and everywhere.
Perhaps. I'm really not trying to "make it out to be" anything. Just speaking freely, casually, nonchalantly, and informally from observations.

So B&W Diamonds & CM, Focal Electra, Dynaudio Confidence are GREAT, but the rest (Revel, KEF, TAD, Salk, Philharmonic, ATC, PSB, Paradigm, etc.) are GARBAGE ? :D

Not taking anything personally here. No offenses. Just casual talk.

Listening to Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone on my 802D2 + Funk + RBH subs now. Bliss. :)

Love the bass from my subs. :)

Yeah, I took some cold medications, so I'm probably a little high right now. :eek:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah and there's a reason why you're listening to the 802 Diamonds instead of that other overpriced junk you own.
The only reason is just changing for the sake of changing. I alternate listening to my speakers. Because I can. Because I feel it like. On a whim. That's the only reason. :D

What do you think about Lexus? I want to buy the LX 570. Do you think it's overpriced junk ? :D

Last edited:
Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah and there's a reason why you're listening to the 802 Diamonds instead of that other overpriced junk you own.
You're a nasty piece of work, aren't you? You're mother never teach you manners?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
To the OP give Jim Salk a call at Salk, he is easy to talk to and is a load of information that just might help you decide.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The only speakers TheStalker ever auditioned was at BB. He's just a wanna be. I wouldn't even feed into his s--t, most likely just some dumb kid.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
The only reason is just changing for the sake of changing. I alternate listening to my speakers. Because I can. Because I feel it like. On a whim. That's the only reason. :D

What do you think about Lexus? I want to buy the LX 570. Do you think it's overpriced junk ? :D

Go for it. Mine (GX 470) is an 03, but it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
If it has enough headroom for me: it will be the only car in the Lexus lineup that does (it's the only one I've not driven a recent model year of). Wouldn't need much more... 2-3in would do it. If I could just get them without the sunroof.

I love my BMW, but the reliability on the Lexus is hard to argue with.

PS. Also: Need a Lexus minivan.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
For the $5000 range I would go with
Ascend sierra towers, horizon center and sierra 1 surrounds, all done and under budget {depending on tweeter and finish you pick}... you wont find much better for the price, I have listened to many many many speakers and they are about the best in that price range...

Another decent setup is the wharfedale jades, jade 5's for front left and right, cade c1 center, and jade 1's for bookshelfs...
Thank you for this suggestion. Hadn't heard of ascend before and like the reviews I am reading about them. Their shipping to Canada is also not as outrageous as what Aperion quotes (over $200 for a pair of towers).

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for this suggestion. Hadn't heard of ascend before and like the reviews I am reading about them. Their shipping to Canada is also not as outrageous as what Aperion quotes (over $200 for a pair of towers).

No problem if you haven't heard of Ascends...they're a small ID speakers mfg that build excellent products ranging in price and they have a large hand in all of those designs.

Just to be clear....shipping rates established on most ID website are for the continental US...any shipment coming into Canada will be subjected to additional shipping charges once they cross over. If you eventually consider any of the Ascend products you might want to look into the new Sierra 2 monitor...they'll likely be less costly to ship versus Towers. I know the new Sierra 2 has the entire Ascend community a buzz. I do own Ascends and travelled down the same path you're currently on and I'm 110% happy I decided on the Ascends...if you live in the GTA...I'd gladly welcome you over for a listen/or demo.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Bill

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't characterize the Verus series as "ok" - they are far, far better than that, esp for the price point. For some reason, they dnt get a lot of respect on the forums, but Gene gave the Grand Towers a phenomenal review. I can't speak for Canadian shipping charges, but the speakers themselves are a great setup.

Kruz

Kruz

Audioholic
I really appreciate that Billy. I would love to hear the ascends in person but I live in Calgary. Can you give me a sense of the extra duty/charges you ended up paying to get the Ascends into TO?

No problem if you haven't heard of Ascends...they're a small ID speakers mfg that build excellent products ranging in price and they have a large hand in all of those designs.

Just to be clear....shipping rates established on most ID website are for the continental US...any shipment coming into Canada will be subjected to additional shipping charges once they cross over. If you eventually consider any of the Ascend products you might want to look into the new Sierra 2 monitor...they'll likely be less costly to ship versus Towers. I know the new Sierra 2 has the entire Ascend community a buzz. I do own Ascends and travelled down the same path you're currently on and I'm 110% happy I decided on the Ascends...if you live in the GTA...I'd gladly welcome you over for a listen/or demo.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Bill

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis