Salk Sound is closing

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jim Salk has announced he will close his company Salk Sound. He isn't yet retiring completely, but he hasn't yet said exactly what he'll do in the future. He announced this in the middle of June. I was, of course, sad to read how his efforts to find suitable buyers for his company did not come to be. So, with quite a bit of sadness, I have to post this news on AudioHolics. See this thread for his announcement.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186217.0

On that thread, Dennis Murphy and Frank Van Alstine, who have both been long-time associates in the audio business with Jim, posted their comments.

Frank Van Alstine:
I wish the very best for you. It will be sad to see all those wonderful Salk Speakers go away and I will miss the announcements of your always improving new models. It meant a lot to me to know you and Mary and having so many good years of association with us. All those trade shows were fun and useful showing our combined products.
Dennis Murphy:
I'm very sorry to see my collaboration with Jim coming to an end, but 20 years is a good run and Jim deserves a rest. Jim is indeed a class act. Over our entire working relationship there was never a disagreement or a harsh word, even when I hit him (figuratively) with a 22-component crossover. I count Jim--and certainly Mary--as good friends and I wish them both well.
I couldn't have said it better than those two. I'm sad to see Salk Sound go, but I'm also very glad to see Jim retire, or at least semi-retire. He earned it. I'm very glad to have done business with Jim, I've owned Songtowers in the past, and I now own Veracity ST speakers, as well as a SongCenter speaker. I know of several folks here at AH who also had the pleasure of doing business with Jim, and now enjoy his products.

Dennis said "Jim is indeed a class act". I can't agree more. A few details of his life. Jim Salk grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota. In the late 1960s after graduating from high school, he ended up in the Army (probably was drafted) and was sent to Vietnam as combat infantry. On his first combat mission, in 1968, he was badly wounded as he & his unit were attacked by rocket & artillery fire, as they were delivered by helicopter to a landing zone. At first, he was left among the dead & dying, as the helicopters flew off, escaping the surprise attack. Suddenly, one of the helicopters, circled back, and dropped in long enough to pick him up. It saved his life. Jim spent the next 1½-2 (?) years as he slowly recovered from his wounds. A lasting effect of that life threatening event in his young life was that he no longer was intimidated by the "small stuff" that we all encounter in life. Jim knew how to stay calm and keep his cool no matter what. As long as I've known him, he always displayed the remarkable ability to recover from life's set-backs, getting stronger & wiser in the process. He may have been born that way, but I think his war wounds and recovery taught him how to manage life.

By 1970 he was mustered out of the Army, and he returned to Minnesota. He went to the University of Minnesota. He briefly served on the St. Cloud town council and became Mayor of St. Cloud.

He was a musician when he was younger, playing trumpet. He started a small music recording studio, that quickly morphed into a commercial business. Producing music for advertising allowed him to earn a living, much better than producing musical recordings.

He was successful enough to turn that into a career with, of all companies, Kirby Vacuum Cleaners. Kirby sold expensive vacuum cleaners door-to-door. In those days, long before the internet, they operated a large sales network, using commissions and other perks & benefits as motivation. Lavish travel rewards were one of those benefits. Jim produced Kirby's travel videos to entice sales. He was paid well, and got to travel to all the locations he filmed. All that ended in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001. Travel plummeted, and Kirby re-organized, eliminating it's travel incentives, and closing Jim's studio.

As a project while he was unemployed, Jim built his first DIY speakers in his back yard, a 2-way design using an expensive Seas aluminum/magnesium alloy 6½" woofer and a Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. That's when he discovered that his ideas of designing a suitable crossover were less than adequate for those drivers. He eventually reached out to Dennis Murphy on a DIY-speaker builder forum operated by a DIY audio parts company named Madisound. Dennis helped out, designing a crossover that allowed those drivers to sing without stumbling over themselves. For years, that design was sold as the Salk Veracity HT1, the first of many successful Salk/Murphy collaborations.

Gradually that effort became a successful business, Salk Sound. Jim always seemed to know how to recover from set backs, and come away better than before. He knew how to navigate his small speaker manufacturing business in a world dominated by large corporations with deep pockets, and sometimes cut-throat practices. And he did that by offering high quality products at exceptionally low prices, while earning friendship and respect from his customers. I hope my brief summary here conveys that.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I talked to Jim a few weeks back. I had a question about how best to repair some unfortunate damage to the veneer on one of my Phil 3s, which were built in his shop.
I got to meet him at the California Audio Show in 2019, only a few months after receiving those Speakers. When I walked into the room with his SS9.5s playing (his new Flagship design at the time) it felt like I had come home!

He is absolutely a class act and it is truly sad to see Salk Sound close its doors.

He hinted that he may sell plans for some of his Speakers to those interested in a DIY approach. So anybody fantasizing about owning his New Flagship, the BePure 3... You may still have a much more affordable opportunity. ;)

I asked him about those when I spoke with him. "It took me 20 years to do it, but I finally built the Speakers I wanted when I started this."

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
Thanks for laying all of that out Swerd. Jim has had an amazing life. I'm sure he could have made a lot more money sourcing cabinets from over there, but he has always followed his passions, even at some sacrifice. His last job before turning out the lights will be completing a pair of cabinets I'll use to provide a certain Audioholics reviewer with reference speakers.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
His last job before turning out the lights will be completing a pair of cabinets I'll use to provide a certain Audioholics reviewer with reference speakers.
What?!!...

Need...
More...
Details!!!

;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Such a shame. I have heard a lot of Salk Sound speakers, and I didn't think any of them were less than excellent. The loudspeaker business is tough. While I greatly enjoy dealing with speakers both on a professional level and a hobby level, I don't think I would ever try to sell them. The market is far too competitive, so there are no easy bucks to be had there.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

He hinted that he may sell plans for some of his Speakers to those interested in a DIY approach. So anybody fantasizing about owning his New Flagship, the BePure 3... You may still have a much more affordable opportunity. ;)

I asked him about those when I spoke with him. "It took me 20 years to do it, but I finally built the Speakers I wanted when I started this."
JBL used to do this a few spins around the galaxy ;) or maybe a few more around the sun, including the parts.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the nice post. Makes me wish all the more that I had made the drive to Jim's store in MI. It's certainly closer than the trip I made to Swerd and Dennis. :D I really love the sound of Swerd's Veracity ST and we managed a pretty decent listening session too. A pair of Salks would likely be end game speakers for me short of winning the lottery. I wish Jim and his wife well.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
What?!!...

Need...
More...
Details!!!

;)
Nothing out of the ordinary--just a slight variation on one of my early designs. It should provide a reference point for judging how much better or worse a review speaker performs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nothing out of the ordinary--just a slight variation on one of my early designs. It should provide a reference point for judging how much better or worse a review speaker performs.
Sure, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to know all the nitty-gritties! :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Another memory just popped up. The night when Jim told me about his Vietnam misadventure, was when we (Jim, his wife Mary, me, & my wife Bonnie) had dinner together, after meeting up with them at a Capital AudioFest show. I knew a little about his being wounded, but hadn't known how severe & intense it was.

I asked him if he remembered where in Vietnam it happened. I guess I wanted to sound out Jim's attitude about that war that nearly killed him. At first he said he never knew where it was, just some landing zone with a code number. And I immediately felt awkward, realizing how stupid it was to ask such a question.

Then Jim surprised me by revealing a subtle sense of humor. With a slight twinkle in his eye, not even close to a wink, he said the LZ was about 5 or 10 klicks up the road from a small hamlet called Phuc-Dup.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Jim Salk has announced he will close his company Salk Sound. He isn't yet retiring completely, but he hasn't yet said exactly what he'll do in the future. He announced this in the middle of June. I was, of course, sad to read how his efforts to find suitable buyers for his company did not come to be. So, with quite a bit of sadness, I have to post this news on AudioHolics. See this thread for his announcement.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186217.0

On that thread, Dennis Murphy and Frank Van Alstine, who have both been long-time associates in the audio business with Jim, posted their comments.

Frank Van Alstine:

Dennis Murphy:

I couldn't have said it better than those two. I'm sad to see Salk Sound go, but I'm also very glad to see Jim retire, or at least semi-retire. He earned it. I'm very glad to have done business with Jim, I've owned Songtowers in the past, and I now own Veracity ST speakers, as well as a SongCenter speaker. I know of several folks here at AH who also had the pleasure of doing business with Jim, and now enjoy his products.

Dennis said "Jim is indeed a class act". I can't agree more. A few details of his life. Jim Salk grew up in St. Cloud, Minnesota. In the late 1960s after graduating from high school, he ended up in the Army (probably was drafted) and was sent to Vietnam as combat infantry. On his first combat mission, in 1968, he was badly wounded as he & his unit were attacked by rocket & artillery fire, as they were delivered by helicopter to a landing zone. At first, he was left among the dead & dying, as the helicopters flew off, escaping the surprise attack. Suddenly, one of the helicopters, circled back, and dropped in long enough to pick him up. It saved his life. Jim spent the next 1½-2 (?) years as he slowly recovered from his wounds. A lasting effect of that life threatening event in his young life was that he no longer was intimidated by the "small stuff" that we all encounter in life. Jim knew how to stay calm and keep his cool no matter what. As long as I've known him, he always displayed the remarkable ability to recover from life's set-backs, getting stronger & wiser in the process. He may have been born that way, but I think his war wounds and recovery taught him how to manage life.

By 1970 he was mustered out of the Army, and he returned to Minnesota. He went to the University of Minnesota. He briefly served on the St. Cloud town council and became Mayor of St. Cloud.

He was a musician when he was younger, playing trumpet. He started a small music recording studio, that quickly morphed into a commercial business. Producing music for advertising allowed him to earn a living, much better than producing musical recordings.

He was successful enough to turn that into a career with, of all companies, Kirby Vacuum Cleaners. Kirby sold expensive vacuum cleaners door-to-door. In those days, long before the internet, they operated a large sales network, using commissions and other perks & benefits as motivation. Lavish travel rewards were one of those benefits. Jim produced Kirby's travel videos to entice sales. He was paid well, and got to travel to all the locations he filmed. All that ended in the aftermath of Sept. 11, 2001. Travel plummeted, and Kirby re-organized, eliminating it's travel incentives, and closing Jim's studio.

As a project while he was unemployed, Jim built his first DIY speakers in his back yard, a 2-way design using an expensive Seas aluminum/magnesium alloy 6½" woofer and a Aurum Cantus ribbon tweeter. That's when he discovered that his ideas of designing a suitable crossover were less than adequate for those drivers. He eventually reached out to Dennis Murphy on a DIY-speaker builder forum operated by a DIY audio parts company named Madisound. Dennis helped out, designing a crossover that allowed those drivers to sing without stumbling over themselves. For years, that design was sold as the Salk Veracity HT1, the first of many successful Salk/Murphy collaborations.

Gradually that effort became a successful business, Salk Sound. Jim always seemed to know how to recover from set backs, and come away better than before. He knew how to navigate his small speaker manufacturing business in a world dominated by large corporations with deep pockets, and sometimes cut-throat practices. And he did that by offering high quality products at exceptionally low prices, while earning friendship and respect from his customers. I hope my brief summary here conveys that.
I'm always glad to hear of people moving on in life. I'm sure Jim will find new passions to fill his retirment.

Otoh, it's sad that no one has purchased his company to keep Jim's legacy going.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That is sad. However, I'm not surprised that it has been impossible to find a new owner with the required passion for such a venture.

Jim has produced excellent speakers, of not only legendary sound quality, but ones with probably the highest quality furniture finishes in the industry.
Some use drivers which are favorites of mine.

If he does sell the plans and circuits, this should be within the capabilities of many DIY builders.

These days local C & C shops with good spray booths should be able to turn out the cabinets in high quality paint finishes at least. So I hope he goes ahead and has plans available with people able to purchase plans as a download that could be loaded to a C & C shop computer.

Those magnificent exotic veneered furniture finishes would be a stretch for all but the most accomplished craftsmen.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, this is sad news for audio lovers everywhere. I'm glad I was able to purchase a set of his speakers when I did.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Jim has produced excellent speakers, of not only legendary sound quality, but ones with probably the highest quality furniture finishes in the industry.

If he does sell the plans and circuits, this should be within the capabilities of many DIY builders.

These days local C & C shops with good spray booths should be able to turn out the cabinets in high quality paint finishes at least. So I hope he goes ahead and has plans available with people able to purchase plans as a download that could be loaded to a C & C shop computer.
I'm not certain, but I believe that a few years ago, Jim did buy a used CNC machine to cut sheet MDF into cabinet parts. If so, he probably does have those cut lists in digital format suitable for CNC tools.
Those magnificent exotic veneered furniture finishes would be a stretch for all but the most accomplished craftsmen.
Yes, that is one of the things that Jim learned to do very well. His ability to finish those veneers and to make fine adjustments in color, tone & reflectivity are unique in the speaker industry. In addition, he can sense, often during a phone conversation, what will appeal to a customer. He always tried to involve a male customer's wife in the veneer and finish selection part of a sale.

For my speakers, Jim already knew I liked unstained cherry veneer. He said he had some 'ropey' cherry veneer that he thought I'd like. Not knowing just what ropey cherry looked like, I immediately said yes. I was very pleased when I first received them. Over the years, as they've aged and gradually darkened, I continue to be highly pleased by them. To me, they're both a visual and audible work of art.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I can't imagine trying to startup a speaker company these days. Just shopping thru the major brands tends to be overwhelming and I gave up looking because there are just too many to choose from.

Same with craft beer. I went into a total wine outlet because my grocery was out of my Guinness and I had the hardest time finding my beer, thru what seemed like hundreds of craft beers. I would not even know what to try, so I don't. It's getting to be like that with everything now though. Too much from too many startups hoping to hit the lottery with their products now, but somehow ending up with something that has already been done.

I always thought Salk was in a class of their own, though, and a great value, compared to many high-end companies. I would have gladly owned a pair of their speakers and I perused their website frequently. I was happy to see that they offered Jeff Bagby's Continuum design in their cabinets. I am happy to have a DIY pair of those and Salk made me up my finish game with that project.

DIY is getting rather outdated as well, because it's getting increasingly difficult to find value with it because now, even budget models are measuring better than many DIY designs for less than it costs for the sum of DIY parts. Add to that with so many now measuring with Spinorama and other overreaching tech, we aren't allowed to fall for speakers that don't measure near perfect for whatever self-concocted reasons we may, otherwise.

I admit to shutting out the measurement faction of audio as of late, because it is getting to be a huge buzz-kill to a hobby I enjoyed much more passionately, when I knew so much less about it. I'd never even welcome any of these reviewers to ever listen to my system, because I would know that they were being irked by some bless'd hump or dip in my beloved response and don't want it ruined further. Right now, I feel my system is essentially flawless, and I want to leave it that way, blissful ignorance, or not.

ETA: I don't even know where a company like Salk would be able to find good help moving forward even if he decided to keep at it. From my experience, my company will have to retire when I do. The pool of experienced help, or even those willing to be so, has dried up. We let our last two hires go, due to unreliability and unwillingness to put their phones down and they think they are way more entitled to higher wges than they actually are, or ever will be at their current pace. As it was, I was having to do my work and theirs. Not to mention dreading the practice of them taking their phones to the john, and not resurfacing until 45 mins later. This is the sh*ttinest generation I have ever witnessed. They will never be able to match our skill, just for time lost on phones and no shows.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OHM is up for sale as well, I hope they have better luck finding a buyer than Salk did.

https://www.bizquest.com/business-for-sale/custom-speaker-manufacturer-brooklyn-new-york/BW2084589/
Ohm are really a niche speaker. The one advantage they have is that they make their own drivers. The Problem for Salk is that you at the mercy of OEM drivers being discontinued without warning. My brief foray ended when the bass/mid drivers were discontinued before the end of the first production run.

Morphing Salk into some sort of DIY option is actually probably the best hope.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I can't imagine trying to startup a speaker company these days. Just shopping thru the major brands tends to be overwhelming and I gave up looking because there are just too many to choose from.

Same with craft beer. I went into a total wine outlet because my grocery was out of my Guinness and I had the hardest time finding my beer, thru what seemed like hundreds of craft beers. I would not even know what to try, so I don't. It's getting to be like that with everything now though. Too much from too many startups hoping to hit the lottery with their products now, but somehow ending up with something that has already been done.

I always thought Salk was in a class of their own, though, and a great value, compared to many high-end companies. I would have gladly owned a pair of their speakers and I perused their website frequently. I was happy to see that they offered Jeff Bagby's Continuum design in their cabinets. I am happy to have a DIY pair of those and Salk made me up my finish game with that project.

DIY is getting rather outdated as well, because it's getting increasingly difficult to find value with it because now, even budget models are measuring better than many DIY designs for less than it costs for the sum of DIY parts. Add to that with so many now measuring with Spinorama and other overreaching tech, we aren't allowed to fall for speakers that don't measure near perfect for whatever self-concocted reasons we may, otherwise.

I admit to shutting out the measurement faction of audio as of late, because it is getting to be a huge buzz-kill to a hobby I enjoyed much more passionately, when I knew so much less about it. I'd never even welcome any of these reviewers to ever listen to my system, because I would know that they were being irked by some bless'd hump or dip in my beloved response and don't want it ruined further. Right now, I feel my system is essentially flawless, and I want to leave it that way, blissful ignorance, or not.

ETA: I don't even know where a company like Salk would be able to find good help moving forward even if he decided to keep at it. From my experience, my company will have to retire when I do. The pool of experienced help, or even those willing to be so, has dried up. We let our last two hires go, due to unreliability and unwillingness to put their phones down and they think they are way more entitled to higher wges than they actually are, or ever will be at their current pace. As it was, I was having to do my work and theirs. Not to mention dreading the practice of them taking their phones to the john, and not resurfacing until 45 mins later. This is the sh*ttinest generation I have ever witnessed. They will never be able to match our skill, just for time lost on phones and no shows.
You are right that the bar gets higher for the DIY designer. But that is not a barrier to entry. By the same token there are many more tools for design and measurement at realistic cost available to the DIY designer and it goes on getting better.

I agree at the lower end of the market, the price advantage has narrowed, but not on more complex sophisticated designs. I could never have afforded the quality of my systems without the DIY design and build route.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I met Jim briefly at AH 2012 GTG and was so profoundly impressed by the sound quality of SoundScape 8's that I still consider it the best-sounding speaker I've ever heard at any price point.

Fun fact: This pretty photo from the show taken by yours truly, used in the AH article with my permission:

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I met Jim briefly at AH 2012 GTG and was so profoundly impressed by the sound quality of SoundScape 8's that I still consider it the best-sounding speaker I've ever heard at any price point.

Fun fact: This pretty photo from the show taken by yours truly, used in the AH article with my permission:

Wish I had gotten to hear such amazing looking speakers , but they weren’t really on my Radar the last time I had ability to buy anything…I’m sad another superb brand bites the dust … :(:(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis