B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Does anyone have this speaker? Thoughts? I am considering the new B&W CM 10 but I am reading a lot of nice comments on the Salk. Early reviews of the CM 10 have been good. Much better than the CM 9.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have HT2-TLs, but I do own Salk SongTowers, and I have listened to HT2-TLs often enough to be very familiar with their sound.

HT2-TLs are among my favorite speaker at any price. I would own them if price and foot print size were not important issues.

Did you see the nice review of them on Audioholics? Salk Sound Veracity HT2-TL Review | Audioholics

To hear them, you can contact Jim Salk directly (he answers emails and phone calls himself), or look for the Owner's Audition List here Salk Signature Sound.

Newer additions to the Salk line, that you might also consider, are the Supercharged SongTower, and the Veracity ST. Both have a very similar sound to the HT2-TL and sacrifice a bit of bass depth and loudness to obtain cabinets with smaller foot prints and lower prices. All three speakers use the excellent Seas magnesium alloy woofers; the HT2-TL uses two 7" woofers, the Veracity ST uses two 6" woofers, and the SC ST uses two 5½" woofers. All three speakers were designed by the same team of Dennis Murphy and Paul Kittinger, and sound like siblings.

It's been a while since I heard any B&W speakers, but I believe the 800 series speakers are excellent, but the other less expensive series sound less than satisfactory to me.

Another commercial speaker I've heard that sounds quite similar to the Veracity ST, is the Joseph Audio Perspective. It's about triple the cost.

Last edited:
J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
I heard the HT2-TL's thanks to an owner that was kind of enough to let me come over and listen to them. I was pretty much floored by them. I'm tweeter-centric, and that RAAL tweeter just disappears into the room. No glare, no listening fatigue. I would also recommend considering the Supercharged ST and Veracity ST as well if footprint is a concern and you don't need as much bass. As Swerd pointed out, you'll notice an increase in bass from the SCST to the Veracity ST to the HT2-TL.

I have not heard the BW CM10's so I can not comment on differences, but I do think the Salks deserve consideration.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
Note that the -3db point of the CM10 is 45hz. For the Salk SCST, Veracity ST, and HT2-TL it's 34hz, so any of the Salks would dig deeper than the CM10.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Note that the -3db point of the CM10 is 45hz. For the Salk SCST, Veracity ST, and HT2-TL it's 34hz, so any of the Salks would dig deeper than the CM10.
Good point. Thanks for mentioning it.

J5 talked well about the RAAL ribbon tweeter in his post above, so I thought I would mention the bass. If you've never heard a transmission line (TL) cabinet speaker, you owe it to yourself to hear any of the Salk towers. They have an impact and feel that you have to experience – words won't do.

The AH review did pretty well, saying this:

I was floored by the bass.

Often I start with my Rives Test CD 2 disc to test just how low the speakers will reach - not in an anechoic chamber but in room. I've tested speakers that have lived up to their specifications, a few that have exceeded, but most have fallen a bit short. Salk Sound rates the HT2-TLs down to 32Hz at -3dB. I heard (well, felt really) bass as low as 20Hz with usable bass as low as 25Hz (the next test tone up from 20Hz on the disc). Subjectively, the usable, authoritative in-room response was at least 25Hz and I'm guessing a bit lower. To say I'm impressed is a massive understatement…​
All of the Salk MTM and TM floor standing towers share the TL design, but the HT3 and SoundScape series do not.

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
If I already have dual subs, would I still benefit with the HT2's, or would the Veracity ST be sufficient?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I already have dual subs, would I still benefit with the HT2's, or would the Veracity ST be sufficient?
If you already have subs and are satisfied with them, the Supercharged ST would be plenty.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
All of the Salk MTM and TM floor standing towers share the TL design, but the HT3 and SoundScape series do not.
That doesn't make SoundScape any better or worse. I was floored by SS8's sound, The material played was not bass heavy so I can not comment on bass reproduction, but overall sound was simple amazing , but then again they are double the price

I need to add that if you are seriously considering HT2-TL you need to check out speakers from same audio designer - Dennis Murphy - Philharmonic Audio.
You wont find them in dealerships, but try to contact Dennis to see if you have any owners in your area willing to do a demo

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Thanks for the mention Gene. I won't say anything about the relative merits of any of these speakers, but if you are considering a model made by Jim Salk with my crossover, he builds a custom version of my tower speaker that has an open midrange like the SoundScape 8. It's just one more option.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
That doesn't make SoundScape any better or worse. I was floored by SS8's sound.
I liked the HT2-TL so much I ordered the SS8 even having never heard it. Lol.

I agree that Dennis's Philharmonic 3 and Philharmonic Slim should also be in contention here.

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I contacted Dennis but no tower speakers to listen to in my area. Only along the east coast.

B

BWguy

Junior Audioholic
The Philharmonics more for jazz and classical? I listen to mostly rock music so I am thinking the Salks may suit me better.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Philharmonics more for jazz and classical? I listen to mostly rock music so I am thinking the Salks may suit me better.
Dennis Murphy designs both Philharmonic & Salk. So they won't sound differently. It's not like one sounds better for classical music and one sounds better for rock music.

If you like their sound, then you will probably think both Phil & Salk sound great for all kinds of music, not just one or the other.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I haven't listened to the HT2-TL's, but I've listened to several other speakers in the line, including the SCST's (which I own) and they are my favorite line of speakers.

The HT2-TL was going to be my next purchase, but with the Veracity ST's out now, I'm undecided. Since all my money is being sunk into other things right now, it will wait.

I cannot recommend the line enough.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I've had the opportunity to hear HT2-TL's, Songtowers, Soundscape 12's and Phil 2's in the same room with the same electronics and same music. While the Phil's and Songtowers sounded similar, I preferred the Songtowers. They had slightly better clarity and imaging. The HT2's had the same sonic signature as the Songtowers but with greater bass impact. The Soundscapes were just on another level. If you haven't actually heard the RAAL tweeter, you need to audition. The RAAL is not for everyone. I liked the detail and sense of space it produces, but it can also sound dry/brittle with some recordings. Some will likely flame me for the last comment, but that was my perception.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I've had the opportunity to hear HT2-TL's, Songtowers, Soundscape 12's and Phil 2's in the same room with the same electronics and same music. While the Phil's and Songtowers sounded similar, I preferred the Songtowers. They had slightly better clarity and imaging. The HT2's had the same sonic signature as the Songtowers but with greater bass impact. The Soundscapes were just on another level. If you haven't actually heard the RAAL tweeter, you need to audition. The RAAL is not for everyone. I liked the detail and sense of space it produces, but it can also sound dry/brittle with some recordings. Some will likely flame me for the last comment, but that was my perception.
Where was that? Wish I could have been there. Unless that was the Wisconsin GTG. If so, not a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard the above speakers, plus some additional Salk offerings. I respectfully disagree with your characterizations, particularly that the Phil 2's sounded closest to the ST's. There is most certainly a family 'sound' to all of these speakers, as they had their crossover designed by and were voiced by Dennis. BUT...they are all slightly different designs with different drivers. The open back mid/tweeter module design of the Phils provides a much different experience, IMHO, than the ST's.

And please don't consider this a flame...we're all entitled to our own opinions, but yep, I disagree as well with your RAAL description. No dryness or brittleness for me. The RAAL is hands down the finest tweeter I've ever heard. Some people like the 'rockability' dispersion characteristics, and ringing of a metal dome. Some like the gentleness of a good silk dome. I prefer as accurate and clean a presentation as I can get from the high frequencies.

Then again, I'm older than mud, so my hearing is likely much different from yours. :)

And for the OP, I'd take any of the speakers mentioned here over any I've heard from B&W...especially given price comparisons!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis