Salk Ascend better the Big ones

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe a better way for him to frame it would be along the lines of "You never see a negative review or comment about Salk and Ascend" when compared to the big boys.

To that I'd say volume of customers would factor in also. The more units you sell, the greater chance you're gonna find someone who has some kind of problem with it.
I forget what this thread is about.

Number of speakers sold definitely plays a factor - laws of averages or something like that.

Along the line of “number of units sold”, another factor is the target buyers.

People who spend a lot more money buying a lot more variety of speakers are less likely to be “fanboys” of just one brand, unless they have found one particular “feature” that identifies with them significantly.

There’s a speaker, sub, and system just “right” for everyone. There’s no need to JUSTIFY what we’ve owned. :D

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Been there. Done it.

I’ve already owned a pair (in my signature as ”Speakers I’ve owned”). Sold them after a couple of years.
We've some overlap in our history. I've owned those KEFs, the Phil2s, and B&W Nautilus (I had the 801s).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
We've some overlap in our history. I've owned those KEFs, the Phil2s, and B&W Nautilus (I had the 801s).
Jerry, how did you like your B&W Nautilus 801's? I used to own the B&W 801 Matrix Series II.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Jerry, how did you like your B&W Nautilus 801's? I used to own the B&W 801 Matrix Series II.
I owned both the 801 Matrix III and the 801 Nautilus.

The Matrix IIIs were honestly some of the best listening speakers I've owned. They were just hideous.

I'm not sure that the Nautilus was significantly better.... just much harder to drive (they were one of the only speakers I've ever owned where I had to be picky about the amp to get best results).

They were prettier, they were much larger/heavier, and I seem to recall better LF extension (which in most setups I hand to a sub); but overall, I don't know that could have told the different between the two by ear (again, unless pushing LF or under-amping the Ns).

In the end: The Matrix 3s left to be replaced with my Salk SCSTs and a sub; and the Nautilus' left because they were too large for any space I had to put them in (They'd be interesting in the house I'm in now).

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Interesting Jerry, thanks. I still miss my old B&W 801 Matrix speakers. I remember how crystal clear they were. They liked a lot of power though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, over time you'll see enough people getting RID of their Salk SoundScape, Revel Salon2, Linkwitz Orion, B&W 800D, KEF Blade, and every single brand. Nothing is immune.
Actually, at least in my area, you don't see Salk or Ascend's top tier speakers for sale ever. I've been scouring craigslist for a long time now and have found 1 pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s. Which I bought... lol.

Now that could just be a scale thing too. The bigger companies are able to produce a lot more, sell a lot more, which leads to more chances for someone to not be happy for one reason or another.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Again, over time you'll see enough people getting RID of their Salk SoundScape, Revel Salon2, Linkwitz Orion, B&W 800D, KEF Blade, and every single brand. Nothing is immune.

Just because you don't see the "NEGATIVE" doesn't mean it is NOT there! It may be between the lines. :D

People get rid of their speakers because they can live without the speakers and because the speakers do NOT sound better than everything else.

Hopefully you'll find that "identity".

Or maybe you'll get lucky and win the lottery and just buy everything. :D
One thing about this audio hobby, replacing a Perfectly good pair of speakers or speakers isn’t nothing new. I’d say 99% just on AH, members have do the replacement of Top-tier speakers from a good Manufacturer or “home-made” brand makers. Case in point, Gene just got done Swapping out 50k speakers. Why? cause he wanted to and it’s his money. Not cause, oh Gene thinks he will hear that Chocolate smooth velvet mid range or they just look better in his audio room. Like everyone who upgrades or downgrades the Excuses are Limitless when it comes to audio or video for matter. Take 4K UHD TV’s, Guy has a 65” nothing wrong with it he has a Top-tier from Sony or LG whatever than he upgrades to a 85” or Decides he wants to go really big jumps head first into A projection screen type of format the size of that upgrade can go as. big as a drive-in home type screen. Audio Video very very Subjective especially when it comes to the your Wallet. Like ADTG said buy everything if coin is no issues and lots of high-end rollers do just that.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Case in point, Gene just got done Swapping out 50k speakers. Why? cause he wanted to and it’s his money. Not cause, oh Gene thinks he will hear that Chocolate smooth velvet mid range or they just look better in his audio room. Like everyone who upgrades or downgrades the Excuses are Limitless when ot cones to audio or video for matter.
Your point is valid, but I'm not sure Gene is the best example!
As owner of Audioholics, he has a "professional obligation" (oh, the sacrifice) to maintain a state of the art reference system!
I'd venture the AH systems are 100% business (just ask his tax accountant). I envy how Gene has turned his passion into his business.
I wonder! If I started making YouTube videos if I could start deducting my audio purchases!
Hmmm ... good chat!:)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
As owner of Audioholics, he has a "professional obligation" (oh, the sacrifice) to maintain a state of the art reference system!
I'd venture the AH systems are 100% business (just ask his tax accountant). I envy how Gene has turned his passion into his business.
I wonder! If I started making YouTube videos if I could start deducting my audio purchases!
lolo well stated Sir!! Tax write off’s and having the Benefit of a working Relationship with a Speaker company does have It’s advantages. It also can lead to Bias and unbiased opinions of others of why one would Choose to showcase inhome brand of speakers. I’m with you 100% maybe I should look into Partnering up and turning my hobby of audio or video into dealer price deals with the Benefit of tax write off’s. :)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
State of the art reference system? I read over that part without giving it the real meaning of it. KEW, if there is of Fault of mine here on AH when reading post of others Especially from Credible members on AH, I tend to “run” though fast cause I’m trying to Either catch up on the Thread or I jump in on a few pages. Not good to Form an educated opinion or post up good Advice or tips. But “ State of the art reference system” That in itself is a subjective statement.
Still oh the sacrifice for sure, I’d be a happy champer with a setup like Gene has. But maybe I wouldn’t, some don’t like Aluminum drivers just like some don’t like Bose speakers :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, at least in my area, you don't see Salk or Ascend's top tier speakers for sale ever. I've been scouring craigslist for a long time now and have found 1 pair of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s. Which I bought... lol.

Now that could just be a scale thing too. The bigger companies are able to produce a lot more, sell a lot more, which leads to more chances for someone to not be happy for one reason or another.
I seem to see Salk and Ascend speakers and other brands listed for sale often enough on AH, AVS, Audiogon, eBay.

I've been looking for a RBH SX-1010N for 3 years now and still can find one to buy.

I have actually even created "WANTED" listings for the SX-1010N on AH, AVS, eBay, Audiogon. Not a single person offered to sell me his SX-1010N. :D

It doesn't mean the SX-1010N is better than other subs.

It just means I can't find one to buy.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
yes, I knew that, I was referring to your 'billionaire status' !
Lolo, you gotta be Rich in the first place to even think like a billionaire, the Wealthy 1% ers let their money work for them aka Bill Gates, that dude who owns Amazon who just had to give up 50 B, cause his wife caught him with his girlfriend didn’t miss a beat. Rich people gotta work to stay rich in a Financed lifestyle. High dollar home Mortgage pay for College for kids and so on. Having money Resources has its Advantages, it’s a long road Chasing the almighty dollar.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I seem to see Salk and Ascend speakers and other brands listed for sale often enough on AH, AVS, Audiogon, eBay.

I've been looking for a RBH SX-1010N for 3 years now and still can find one to buy.

I have actually even created "WANTED" listings for the SX-1010N on AH, AVS, eBay, Audiogon. Not a single person offered to sell me his SX-1010N. :D

It doesn't mean the SX-1010N is better than other subs.

It just means I can't find one to buy.
I don't see RBH pop up ever either. I'm super interested in them too. They're another company you never hear anything bad about.

I just ordered the Sierra/RAAL towers the other day, btw...

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The only speakers I would EVER be interested in now are big curvy cabinet speakers that don't look like a rectangular boxes. I mean in addition to my SVT towers. :D

No squarish speakers for me. Only big, curvy, shiny speakers.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wait, I'm just now reading this.

Hey @Gmoney I have a billion dollars and don't even know it? :D
Hey man, I’m small Change Lee Roy. Gmoney is a thing, chould stand for “gangsta” money, or “Got”some, in my case not much money, or “Go” get your own Money. But in my case if you guys really want to know why I choose “G” money, is because of my Settlement from my knee injury from working in the Gulf of Mexico. Get it now? “ Gulf”. “G”. Money!! I do have A substantial amount in a annuity investment. Sooo... GMoney!!
Andrew, you have My permission the use my name on here Mike. But if you like Gmoney than by means post up. But never do I have or had billionaire status mind like of Amplitude mind!!
You gotta be rich to think like that in the first place. :)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, now that you've rejoined the fold I'm curious, why did you sell the Salon2's ? and when you had them what did you drive with ?
They were powered with ATI AT3005 amps.

I sold the Salon2 for the same exact reason I sold the B&W 802D2, KEF 202/1, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic and all other speakers.

They sound great. But not necessarily the best overall. The treble and midrange were great. But the bass was still lacking for me. With all these speakers, I needed dual Subwoofers.

With the SX-T2/R and SVT towers, I don't need any subwoofers. Not only that, but they seem to have a little more clarity/resolution to me in the midrange/treble. Of course, that's 100% subjective and could be all in my head :D.

The pre-pro was the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis