SACD/DVD-A recommendations?

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. j_garcia, I already have the Porcupine Tree - In Absentia and really enjoy the disc, though it is jut the RBCD version. Does the SACD add to the sound quality or is it mainly just a surround mix? I like a good bit of NIN so I will have to track down one of their SACDs as well as check out Patricia Barber.

Thanks again to all,
Steve

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
In Absentia is a DVD-A, not SACD. In DVD-A, it is a higher-quality recording. In DTS mode, it is lower-quality, though I would say not audibly lower quality. I only have the ability to play the DTS layer right now (no analog ICs for my player) and it sounds INCREDIBLE compared to the stereo mix. Don't get me wrong, the stereo mix sound very good, but the surround implementation is amazing. I consider it a reference for what surround music should sound like.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In Absentia is an extremely well mixed DVD-A, so if you like the redbook, the DVD-A is a no-brainer. The DTS version is good and the DVD-A portion is just a bit more detailed as is to be expected. The engineer is supposed to be the same on Deadwing (which I haven't heard yet), and also gets high praise.

The Linkin Park DVD-A Reanimation is very well done as well. It's my favorite DVD-A so far.

*edit Almost forgot! Godsmack's The Other Side SACD is good too.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis