SACD/DVD-A recommendations?

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I won a new Pioneer 578 universal player on E-bay and am looking for some good SACD/DVD-A discs to pick up. What discs can any of you recommend? Genre is not too important as the only thing I don't listen to is rap. If I had to choose I would say jazz or classical multichannel as those are the 2 genres I have always loved, the rest came later. I would really like to get some discs that showcase the technology.

Steve

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I happen to have the same player as you. I would suggest that you pick up the following:

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Steely Dan - Gaucho (DTS)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)

Be aware that for DVD-A and SACD listening that you need to use the analog outputs on the player. DTS and 2-ch DVD-A can be passed through the digital connections.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm..perhaps not. But I have the Nightfly DVD-A. My player is connected via optical. I can't listen to the surround mix, but I can listen to the 2-ch tracks. However, it might have a CD layer, I don't know.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Hmm..perhaps not. But I have the Nightfly DVD-A. My player is connected via optical. I can't listen to the surround mix, but I can listen to the 2-ch tracks. However, it might have a CD layer, I don't know.
I'm not aware of any DVD-A's that have a cd layer, though the Dual Disks are a new breed, they may have a rbcd layer. Many, (most), DVD-A's can contain different mixes: a hi-rez surround, a hi-rez stereo, (neither of which can be played through a digital connection), a DTS and/or dolby mix that can be stereo, surround or both. There aren't any standards, hence this may be one of the reasons the format is so confusing. Looking here: http://www.highfidelitydiscs.nl/customer/product.php?productid=16790&cat=262&XCARTSESSID=3a3e7547dada23c3f682c09f3f450a99 shows the different formats found on the disc. It also comes with a video as well. Are you hooked up to a TV? This is also a must for setup purposes.
Looks like you should get not only a stereo but also a surround mix through the digital connection, though I don't have that disc so I can't prove it.

I have the Pioneer 563a, the predessessor to the 578, they're really quite similar. Go down through the menus and enable digital 5.1 surround to hear that as well.

If you're on a budget (I am), go to Best Buy and pick up some Acoustic Research cables for DVD-A and SACD hookup. They aren't too much $$ and are certainly decent enough for you to get a taste of the hi-rez sound. You should notice quite an improvement over the dts/dolby digital sound you're now listening to.

One last thought, on my remote hitting the 'display' button while a disc is playing, will show what layer is selected and the resolution of the disc. Of course you need to be attached to a TV for this. Perhaps the 578 has a similar function.

aspaceintime

aspaceintime

Audioholic
DVD-A suggestions; If you like the Doobie Brothers, The Captain & Me is very good. So is Brother In Arms. Like someone mentioned you also can't go wrong with anything by Steely Dan - Fagan

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
My favourites in my collection are:

Blue Man Group -- The Complex (DVD-A)
Tom Cochrane and Red Rider -- Trapeze (DVD-A)
Peter Gabriel -- Up (SACD)
Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)

Can't go wrong with any of these!

cheers,
supervij

S

s2pdname

Junior Audioholic
Brandst said:
If I had to choose I would say jazz or classical multichannel as those are the 2 genres I have always loved...

Steve
Here's one of the most comprehensive lists of SACD's that is on the net right now. And it is mostly Classical and Jazz, http://www.sa-cd.net/

Have fun,

Rich

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Beck Sea Change

I think Beck's 2002 album Sea Change is one of the best showcases of Surround Sound out there. For Jazz, many Miles Davis and Diana Krall discs are on SACD.

Last edited by a moderator:
CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie

Enthusiast
I just got a copy of the band's Last Waltz in SACD as a birthday gift.
Spectacular!
This is already a classic but in this format it's nothing short of brilliant.

A

AFJumper03

Junior Audioholic
I doubt that you are, but if you are into metal, Fear Factory's newest CD came out in Dual Layer with DVD-A on one side. The new CD isnt great but its one of the only true metal CDs I know of in surround sound these days.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Brandst said:
I won a new Pioneer 578 universal player on E-bay and am looking for some good SACD/DVD-A discs to pick up. What discs can any of you recommend? Genre is not too important as the only thing I don't listen to is rap. If I had to choose I would say jazz or classical multichannel as those are the 2 genres I have always loved, the rest came later. I would really like to get some discs that showcase the technology.

Steve
Won something means you dont pay. So you bought something on e-bay. Sorry,it just bugs me. The Police every breath you take is pretty good SACD. If you have DTS,Don Henley the end of innocence is very good. A lot of the DVD-A you buy will have a DTS track also i think.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
s2pdname said:
Here's one of the most comprehensive lists of SACD's that is on the net right now. And it is mostly Classical and Jazz, http://www.sa-cd.net/

Have fun,

Rich
This is where I would start. Since you are into Jazz you're in luck, it seems the Jazz artists have embraced SACD more than any other genre. I have a couple of Diana Krall SACDs that are excellent & have heard good things about the Beck album mentioned earlier. Another good one to look at is the last Ray Charles album, it really makes use of the multi-channel format.

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I ordered the Diana Krall - Love Scenes DVD-A and the Beck - Sea Change SACD from Amazon, both should be here early next week. I am still looking at other jazz and classical discs on the links provided by everyone. I like some heavy metal and hard rock, my favorite band is Dream Theater which is mainly progressive but also some hard or heavy metal. Hell, I've even been know to listen to Ministry which is real close to industrial strength heavy metal. I believe however that the acoustical music such as jazz and classical have more to gain from the hi-res formats than the electronic music, and luckily they are my favorite genres. I miss the warmth and life that came from the old LP's when played through a good system. Most digital recordings may be technically better, but they are cold and lifeless sometimes.

Steve

20to20K

Full Audioholic
My fav's...

Grover Washington - Winelight
Brian Bromberg - Jaco
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
Yellowjackets - Altered States
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (DualDisk)
Police - Ghost in the Machine(2channel only)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like you might like Porcupine Tree then. The DVD-A of In Absentia is quite good. This album sounds a little like Rush, who I don't really care for much, but I like these guys.

For Jazz, my favorite SACDs so far are Patricia Barber's Companion (live) and Cafe Blue. They are extremely well recorded. Her singing is not always the best, but the music is good.

Nine Inch Nails With Teeth is a good Dual Disc. The Downward Spiral is available on both SACD and DVD-A. The SACD includes a bonus 2ch SACD disc with some rare, b-side and soundtrack items.

If you want good Diana Krall, the Live in Paris DVD in DTS is excellent as well.

I have the Police 25th anniversary SACD of their greatest hits and it was a big disappointment. The multichannel tracks are very poorly mixed and some are very gimmicky. The 2ch are OK, but still not much better than the CD.

B

BostonMark

Audioholic
Let me know what you think of Beck

Brandts, glad everyone helped you make some picks to start your collection. I would love to hear your thoughts on Beck after you've given it a listen

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis