SA 8300 HD DVR Locked

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I picked up a new SA 8300 HD DVR on Craigslist for $70, but found out after booting it up, it won't work - says to call the cable provider. I called TWC (it has a TWC remote, so I know it's theirs) and they said the only way to get a DVR to work on their system is to rent it from them. The couple I bought it from agreed to a return on Sunday, but if I can unlock this for at least the HD channels, I may keep it. Anyone know anything about these, if there's a way to unlock it, or is this a $350 brick?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, great to see you posting again! So few and far between anymore. You might just make Spartan after all. :D

I'm still looking around, but haven't found anything. Just wanted to say, "hi."

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I suspect it might be a brick. I would think the only one capable of unlocking it is TW.

BTW, Nice to see you posting again.;) I was wondering where you went.

Hugs, kisses, all that crap.:D Good to see you back.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I was on hiatus for a bit. My system was complete, and I went nuts buying 3 flat screens. Spent a short time at AVS, then at Slickdeals.net which I frequent a few times a week.

With three small kids growing fast, and starting to play sports, and a crazy job that never gives me a break, my hobby got put on the back burner.

I just started renting Blu ray movies again. Our Movie Stop (Speedway gas station version of Red Box) has them for $2, and they always have the latest releases.

What's new here? Any major changes? I see a few have been bumped up to moderator.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
No real major changes that I can think of, but I was gone for six months right before you went on break. You might notice that people have a lot more reputation chicklets than they used to. "Thanks" became worth three points last summer, so it was only a matter of time until the whole thing went ballistic. It's fun, though.

Some of the other regulars from before are on breaks, too, but there are a number of great new people who have joined. It's still a great place to be, IMO.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I picked up a new SA 8300 HD DVR on Craigslist for $70, but found out after booting it up, it won't work - says to call the cable provider. I called TWC (it has a TWC remote, so I know it's theirs) and they said the only way to get a DVR to work on their system is to rent it from them. The couple I bought it from agreed to a return on Sunday, but if I can unlock this for at least the HD channels, I may keep it. Anyone know anything about these, if there's a way to unlock it, or is this a $350 brick?
The company have the secret codes. You will not unlock it. If you did, you could be charged with theft of service.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Spent a short time at AVS, then at Slickdeals.net which I frequent a few times a week.
Is that all? I can't stay away from slickdeals.. I'm looking for a 61 inch Sammy LED and a camera right now:D

Pat

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I always wonder about these things.

BAck in the analog days, "used" or aftermarket cable boxes were always available and would be good to go, as long as the signals weren't scrambled.

Now, in the digital age, since MAC addresses are used to activate and determine service levels, this becomes a major issue.

It seems that cable companies contract with manufacturers for custom runs with specific codes. i.e, all these runs would be sold to the cable companies who, in turn, would provide them "for rent" to their customers, and their customers only. As you found out, they are essentially bricks unless the cable company provides their blessings, which doesn't seem to happen.

So, I gotta wonder how these things appear on the "used" market in the first place? :confused: Are they stolen, either from the manufacturer or the cable company themselves? A user is required to return tem to thecable company when terminating service or pay a stiff fine.

I'm just glad you can get your money back. That's unusual in these cases.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
SA juste plain sux. I hate their boxes. They've been around for so many years with bearly enough hardware/software updates to keep up with basic usage...... and they cost the same as their Dish network counterparts (which have way better boxes.

Slow, sluggish, buggy, ugly and not user friendly are the only things I can think of. Even the remote doesn't sit nice in the hand.

But we don't have any choice! :(:(:(

Wish so bad we could buy our own boxes!!! Free-to-air hardware FTW!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis