Running component video through receiver

M

millsryno

Audiophyte
OK, I have searched the forum and got some good info on video up converting. I did not see a specific answer to my question, however. I know, I know, total noob question here but I thought I might as well ask instead of be sorry after it is too late.

I have just installed a new Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY plasma on my wall. I just got a new Scientific Atlanta 8300HD PVR from my cable company. I currently have a new-in-box Yammy HTR-5740 and I plan on purchasing a DVD player.

The plasma only has one component input. The HTR-5740 has two component inputs and one component output. I was thinking my best results would be to wire the PVR and DVD player into the receiver using component cables and then run the component out to the plasma from the receiver. This receiver does not have video up converting. I am assuming that since I have only component cables coming in and a component cable going out, upconverting will not matter at all. Is this correct?

As for audio, I am assuming I will get my best results by connecting the PVR and DVD to the receiver with optical digital inputs. The receiver has 2 optical inputs and one coaxial input. Is either optical or coaxial better? I looked at DVD players tonight and it seemed like they all had coaxial but not all of them had optical.

The only other thing I would imagine plugging in would be my PS2.

Thanks in advance for any input!

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
millsryno said:
The plasma only has one component input. The HTR-5740 has two component inputs and one component output. I was thinking my best results would be to wire the PVR and DVD player into the receiver using component cables and then run the component out to the plasma from the receiver. This receiver does not have video up converting. I am assuming that since I have only component cables coming in and a component cable going out, upconverting will not matter at all. Is this correct?
This all sounds like the best connection you can make. However, in some instances I've seen where certain pvr's look very soft using their component outputs. So if you have the inclination you might experiment using the s-video output on it as well and compare the two to see which looks best. The DVD should look best with the component connection hands down.

As for audio, I am assuming I will get my best results by connecting the PVR and DVD to the receiver with optical digital inputs. The receiver has 2 optical inputs and one coaxial input. Is either optical or coaxial better? I looked at DVD players tonight and it seemed like they all had coaxial but not all of them had optical.
The difference in quality between the two connections is minimal. If you are using inexoensive interconnects, it's likely the coaxial would be your best option. Either way it won't make much difference, and you may be better off just using whatever is most convenient for you.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your PVR is HD so you will want to use either component or DVI/HDMI connections not S-Video. Your TV probably has either a DVI or HDMI input. If your HD PVR has either a DVI or HDMI output then you can use that directly to your TV. That will open up the other component input on your receiver for your PS2.

A

aaazdaddy

Enthusiast
I have the same PVR through Cox Cable, and they say because copyright stuff isn't completely ironed out, the HDMI, DVI, Firewire and Optical outputs on the boxes are NOT enabled, so your choice may be limited to standard RCA cabling, S-Video or Component cables (which you would have to use for High-Def). Check with the cable company. In the meantime, I have a High-Def VCR that I can't use to record movies in HD...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Everyone really has answered your questions, but you really are correct with your initial statements. You can hook your PVR & DVD up to the receiver then go to the display and things will be fine.

It may be worth it to pick up a DVI cable and hook it up to your cable box to see if you get an image via DVI. That way, you can use that extra component input for your PS2... once again as already suggested.

For audio, it is nice to have a DVD player with both optical (toslink) and coaxial (spdif) digital audio outputs. That way, if you get stuck with a device that only gives you one output, you can use the other one as necessary from your DVD player. I strongly recommend hooking analog cables (L&R RCA cables) up to your receiver as well. If you rarely/never will likely be in need of the analog audio, use the free RCA cables that come with your AV gear.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis