Running cable to a conditioner

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
I'm currently in the process of setting up my equipment (as it arrives), and I do have a question about the APC conditioner and running lines to it. I have a typical 7.1 set up, LCR and sub at the front, sides and rear surrounds, and my AV equipment is on a stand at the back of the room behind the seating. My question is should I run an extension cord from my subwoofer at the front of the room to the back to plug into the conditioner? This cable would have to run alongside all my speaker wires to get there, or should I just plug the subwoofer into the outlet on the front wall?

I suspect plugging the sub in directly is the lesser of two evils? I don't really have any "noise" problems that I could detect so far, though I haven't tried to listen for it either as I'm still setting up.
Thanks

1104blake

Audiophyte
I'm just now getting into the whole high end audio and video set ups myself so I hope I'm not wrong on this part. I'm a little more familiar with panamax than I am anything else but I know they have some inexpensive conditioners that go right over the wall outlet for situations like yours. The thing I would worry most about going directly into the outlet would be power surges damaging the sub and with that panamax you would have that added protection and a little bit of conditioning.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Good call on having surge protection regardless of where you plug it in.

Some people will get hum due to a ground loop if they use different outlets. If you don't get that, plug it in whereever it's most convenient. :)

S

Senact

Audioholic Intern
If I install a GF breaker, would this accomplish the same thing for the whole circuit vs just the outlet?

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If I install a GF breaker, would this accomplish the same thing for the whole circuit vs just the outlet?
No, a GFI breaker is just that, (a ground fault interrupt)
A surge protect or TVSS protects from surges.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
IMHO a power conditioner is completely unnecessary unless you're experiencing some sort of issue with noise through the tweeter, or some hum and buzz. If you aren't then I'd say forgo that stuff and focus on surge protection. That being said there's nothing like whole house protection. If you want someplace to put money there would probably be your best bet for protecting your equipment.

If you rent, or it's out of your price range then a few good surge strips would be fine. I wouldn't worry about routing the sub all the way to the APC, just get some sort of surge protector, as has been mentioned, and you will be fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis