running 4 speakers on 1 CAT5

A

audiodallas

Audiophyte
I have a small AV company in the dallas area. We have an argument that needs to be resolved. We understand the characteristics of CAT5 used as speaker wire etc. etc. We have searched this forum for the answer and still we are nto sure. So here is the question. If all speaker prewire was cut to 2 pair of outside speakers (cheapies) and all you had was 1 CAT5 cable from the 2ohm stable amplifer and had to run that CAT5 100 feet to where it would then connect to 2 volume controls and 2 pair of cheap speakers, would it work? would it be best to use each pair for each speaker run or would there be a better solution?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You should really use a larger gauge normal speaker wire for that. First off, CAT5 has small gauge internal wires, too small for speakers really. Secondly, you're making a 100 foot run. You should be running a 12GA speaker cable MINIMUM. If there is a chance that you can run more cable, I would suggest getting some 10 or 12GA cable to run.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
The results would be very poor. Work in this case is a relative word.

Best bet is to get the proper multi-channel cable.....I would go with 12ga, but that's just because that's all I use :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'll go along with the above two posters.

What's cat 5 anyway? 8 strands of 22 - 24 gauge wire? And you want to run this 100 feet? How long have you been in this business?

In all honesty, you say you are in the business of installing this stuff and you have to post such a basic question on a public forum? This is the kind of question I expect from a newbie, not from someone in the business.

Are you CEDIA certified?

Last edited:
D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
damn I live in the dallas area! What is the name of your company so I know who not to use?

-Casey

BTW- This is "audoholics" forum. We enjoy nice sounding audio.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis