Rudimentary Question - Can't get full audio out of Denon 2113ci

J

jgaepi

Enthusiast
Rudimentary Question - I just took my Denon 2113ci out of the box. Hooked it up. Turned it on. Using DVR audio/video - sound only comes out of the front two speakers. Tried a CD - I only get sound out of the front two speakers. Fired up a Blu-ray and I get audio out of all 5 speakers. I am completely stumped.

To add insult to injury, I have a Mac w/o a CDROM drive so I cannot use the manual and my computer says the .pdf file from the Denon site is invalid. So I need help.

I am using 1.4HDMI cables and getting perfect audio on Blu-ray. I need help with the rest of the sources.

Thank you.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Two channel (2.0) signals only come out of the front right/left speakers unless you sellect one of the "all channel stereo" or some funky DSP modes. You need to feed it a 5.1 signal to get 5.1 sound.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

Mark is right - you are probably playing stereo and that's why you are only getting sound from the front left/right speakers. You can apply a surround sound setting to have the Denon play sound out of all speakers.

My main point in posting was to let you know about the owner's manual. Denon's links for their manuals in PDF form is often a link to a .ZIP file of the contents on the CD. When you click on the link for the manual on their website, choose to save the file. It will be a .ZIP folder. Inside of that folder is the PDF for the manual and some other files.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Denon doesn't do hardcopy manuals any more? Huh! Things musta changed since I bought my 2802.

I learned something here.

J

jgaepi

Enthusiast
Ok, but without the manual, I don't know how to change these settings. My Mac for some reason will not allow me to select an option for opening the zip file. It just says, no accessible. I moved it around to a few different modes and it still will not allow me to unzip the file. Nada.

So I figured that it had to be a basic setting function to change to surround but with the modes I see available to me through the remote, I can't change it. So I need the manual but obviously can't open it. Scr3w3d either way.

I sent a message to Denon, but like my last message, they will probably take 9 full days to respond.

Welcome to the forum!

Mark is right - you are probably playing stereo and that's why you are only getting sound from the front left/right speakers. You can apply a surround sound setting to have the Denon play sound out of all speakers.

My main point in posting was to let you know about the owner's manual. Denon's links for their manuals in PDF form is often a link to a .ZIP file of the contents on the CD. When you click on the link for the manual on their website, choose to save the file. It will be a .ZIP folder. Inside of that folder is the PDF for the manual and some other files.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I should note that you ARE getting "full audio" out of your Denon. Stereo sources are playing in stereo, 5-channel sources are playing in surround sound. So you are aren't actually missing anything.

The extra surround speakers can be used with stereo sources, although many "purists" don't bother. I use dolby prologic II pretty often and it does a pretty good "fake surround" on many sources, giving a more immersive, "bigger" sound. Other sources, it can me a little irritating (I seem to have lots of recording studio mixes that end up with lots of drums in the surrounds, which makes no sense, aurally speaking). All-channel stereo just sounds weird under most circumstances if you're actually sitting and listening to music, although it's OK for filling up a room a little more evenly for non-critical listening (e.g., party music).

J

jgaepi

Enthusiast
ParadigmDawg, it might be broken record to you but vital to me. So thanks for doing it again, I guess.

So answer something for me, cause I have owned two Onkyos in the past and none of the settings left me hearing audio out of 2 speakers vice my seven. So I was seriously stumped at 11pm last night. And getting really frustrated with Denon not taking into consideration Macbook Air owners with their CDROM-only manual.

Why would the basic out of the box setting for my CD player and Cable DVR only play in 2.1 mode. That doesn't make any sense to me. Music purist or what not. That just seems ridiculous.

So when I get home tonight, I just need to toggle around with the 4 colored buttons on the bottom of my remote and I should solve my 2.1 issue, correct? Thanks.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
ParadigmDawg, it might be broken record to you but vital to me. So thanks for doing it again, I guess.

So answer something for me, cause I have owned two Onkyos in the past and none of the settings left me hearing audio out of 2 speakers vice my seven. So I was seriously stumped at 11pm last night. And getting really frustrated with Denon not taking into consideration Macbook Air owners with their CDROM-only manual.

Why would the basic out of the box setting for my CD player and Cable DVR only play in 2.1 mode. That doesn't make any sense to me. Music purist or what not. That just seems ridiculous.

So when I get home tonight, I just need to toggle around with the 4 colored buttons on the bottom of my remote and I should solve my 2.1 issue, correct? Thanks.
Denon owner's manuals are crap anyway, you don't need it.

It's all how it's mixed. I would assume that your cable box may be set wrong if all the channels are 2.(1) but most all CDs are 2.(1) Just set the *"auto surround mode" to what you like and be done with it.

The 4 colored buttons on the bottom of the remote are new for the 13 models and mine isn't new but it looks like you are in business with them.

* AUTO SURROUND MODE: If this setting is on, your Denon AVR will automatically remember what surround mode you prefer depending on the input source and the signal type. For example, let's say you like to listen to 2-channel music from CD's in the "Stereo" mode, but when you get a 2-channel signal while watching TV you want to matrix it to 5.1 using "Dolby Pro Logic II". If Auto Surround is "on", the AVR will remember this, so when you switch to the "CD" input it will automatically go into "Stereo" mode, and then when you switch back to the "TV/CBL" input it will automatically go back into Pro Logic mode. In general, just leave this setting set to "ON" (the default) unless you want to constantly be fiddling with the surround mode buttons.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
And getting really frustrated with Denon not taking into consideration Macbook Air owners with their CDROM-only manual.
Sounds like you might want to get to know your 'puter a bit better and try to figure out why you can't unziip files. Also, you might seriously consider getting an external CD-ROM drive. They aren't that expensive and most of the world expects computers to have them.

Because that's the correct, or native, mode for those formats. IOW, that's what they were recorded in, or at least played back in your source devices in. I sorta hinted at this n my first reply here.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
And getting really frustrated with Denon not taking into consideration Macbook Air owners with their CDROM-only manual.
As Mark said may be you just have to unzip the downloaded PDF file first in order to read it. If the file you downloaded from say, the Denon USA site is really corrupted, you can try downloading it from another cite such as:

DENON CA | AVR-2113CI

The Batpig link should do the trick for you though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry that you're having trouble with getting the manual. This morning, I read it on my PC. I just downloaded the same file to my Mac (running Lion), double clicked on it, it unzipped it, and the PDF file opened up just fine. Perhaps a Google search would help you get that working on your Mac.

J

jgaepi

Enthusiast
Thanks guys. My problem is resolved. I just can't figure out the Auto Surround Mode but frankly I don't care. I have all sources playing out all of my speakers. I am a happy camper again.

Denon owner's manuals are crap anyway, you don't need it.

It's all how it's mixed. I would assume that your cable box may be set wrong if all the channels are 2.(1) but most all CDs are 2.(1) Just set the *"auto surround mode" to what you like and be done with it.

The 4 colored buttons on the bottom of the remote are new for the 13 models and mine isn't new but it looks like you are in business with them.

* AUTO SURROUND MODE: If this setting is on, your Denon AVR will automatically remember what surround mode you prefer depending on the input source and the signal type. For example, let's say you like to listen to 2-channel music from CD's in the "Stereo" mode, but when you get a 2-channel signal while watching TV you want to matrix it to 5.1 using "Dolby Pro Logic II". If Auto Surround is "on", the AVR will remember this, so when you switch to the "CD" input it will automatically go into "Stereo" mode, and then when you switch back to the "TV/CBL" input it will automatically go back into Pro Logic mode. In general, just leave this setting set to "ON" (the default) unless you want to constantly be fiddling with the surround mode buttons.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis