RSL Studio Monitor Speakers and Speedwoofer 10 Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
While RSL Speakers are a relative newcomer to the ID race, they have a +40 year heritage in the loudspeaker business. Today we take a peek at two pairs of their compact but potent bookshelf speakers: the CG4 and CG24 as well as their Speedwoofer 10 powered subwoofer. This sub/sat combo looks impressive on paper. Could this be the best affordable speaker brand you've never heard of? We are looking forward to taking these products for a test spin via a formal review in the coming months to find out.

Read: RSL Speakers CG24/CG4 Studio Monitor and Speedwoofer 10 Preview

Have you heard these speakers? Let us know your impressions.

U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
I am also interested in potentially reading an Audioholics review of the RSL speakers. They have been favorably reviewed by some respectable magazines and HT websites, so I'm especially interested in what Audioholics has to say about them. (I have not personally heard them)

Gene and gang, I'm also interested in your hands-on impressions of the "compression waveguide". In recent years, a few (mostly british) speaker companies who have started using computer modeling to develop their cabinets have used similar ideas, with generally fantastic results. Both Wharfedale and Epos come to mind. one of the things reviewers have noted about these designs is they seem to make the speakers less finicky about placement, especially near rear boundaries. (http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-121/review; http://www.eposltd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/TAS_248.pdf)

G

grillmaster

Audiophyte
I had a def tech pro cinema 100 5.1 system. 13 years old. replaced the sub, fronts and center, but left the back surrounds in place. will replace those too now that I have been listening to the RSL's for several months. I didn't audition other speakers in house, but as I told the RSL folks, nothing in the price range I could listen to at local stores was better without substantially increasing the price. add to the fact that I have placement issues; the speakers are in a cabinet so I needed sealed or front ported speakers and size wise these were close to the maximum that would fit in the cabinet. Even my wife who could care less about sound comments when shows like The Voice band plays how much better it sounds. Music, DVD Audio music is just so much better. yea the def techs were 13 years old, but anything I was able to listen to at $500 or less per pair just weren't as good.
"maggie"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis