RSL Speedwoofer10S MKII or Def Tech Descend DN10

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
My dad's sub on his old Boston Acoustics Sub/Sat speaker system stopped working. I was going to give him a replacement and upgrade from his old sub. I want to keep it around $400 or less but noticed the good reviews on the RSL Speedwoofer10S MKII for a little more. While looking on Accessories4less I noticed they had a referb Def Tech Descend DN10 for the same price $449. I couldn't find any reviews of the DN10 though. I'm sure both are good but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks for the help.

https://rslspeakers.com/products/speedwoofer-10s-mkii/

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/deftechdn10/definitive-technology-descend-dn10-500w-10-compact-powered-subwoofer/1.html#!specifications

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How important is deeper bass to you? The RSL would have the advantage I think. I generally would never buy a DefTec sub. Some reason you're limiting to a 10" driver?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
No contest....Speedwoofer. I have 3 of them....4 if you count my 12S.

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
How important is deeper bass to you? The RSL would have the advantage I think. I generally would never buy a DefTec sub. Some reason you're limiting to a 10" driver?
According to my mom the smaller the better so I was looking for something 8"-10".

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Looks like the RSL is probably the way to go. Just out of curiosity, what is so bad about the Def Tech sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to my mom the smaller the better so I was looking for something 8"-10".
Can't say I've heard the mom directive before. You generally just get poorer performance from the smaller drivers....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Because generally DefTec subs are weak and/or overpriced.
They also fudge specs and in reality are non linear and a little bit one note wonders.

The speedwoofer is just better overall. Linear, controlled, better extension, and output.
Definitely familiar with WAF, but MAF is new! Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They also fudge specs and in reality are non linear and a little bit one note wonders.

The speedwoofer is just better overall. Linear, controlled, better extension, and output.
Thought I'd seen the later generation of DefTec was getting better spec details....perhaps for the very smallest box they're a contender but who wants that?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thought I'd seen the later generation of DefTec was getting better spec details....perhaps for the very smallest box they're a contender but who wants that?
Yeah I think I saw that too, but generally don’t care about them so…..

Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme

Audioholic
Haha. Yeah I guess MAF is a new one. W should really be replaced as Woman instead of wife so it covers everything. Good to know about Def Tech. I don't get to keep up with the HT world like I used to 20 years ago...wife, kids, job and all. Thanks for the advice.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

We have a forthcoming review of the Deftech Descend DN15. I don't want to spoil too much, but the DN15 is extremely linear, moreso than most subs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
We have a forthcoming review of the Deftech Descend DN15. I don't want to spoil too much, but the DN15 is extremely linear, moreso than most subs.
Well I’m very curious to see those results. The statement about linearity might the first time ever said about a DT sub. Especially against “most” subs. That would actually be really great since many people like he brand. Then we could possibly recommend a sub from DT.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis