Rothdale? Heard of it?

K

Kolestarol

Audiophyte
Man, my friend bought this Rothdale system today, we haven't tried it yet, but the amp seems awfully light... Does this have any correlation to the quality of the amp?

He said he got it off some bloke who got an extra set, but yeah... I dunno, what do you guys think?

I think he's stressing out a bit coz he doesn't know whether he should be happy or not with regards to getting this system.

Cheers!

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Did the bloke with the 'extra stuff' happen to be driving a white van? I don't pretend to know every brand out there, but I've never run across "Rothdale" before. Sounds like someone's been had...:rolleyes:

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
There isn't always a direct correlation between weight and quality. Different types of amplification (Class A, B, AB, D) also affect how heavy the unit will be. I've never heard of Rothdale Audio before. Hopefully their website isn't any indication to the quality of their products (because it sucks!)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that you are British? I like it that we have international perspectives on the forum. Welcome by the way.:)

K

Kolestarol

Audiophyte
@ Geno: yeah, white van and all.

@ ljaggers: I'm Australian =], I reckon the site might be there for scam purposes.

I think my mate got scammed, we just checked the box, didn't come with any cables.... That's not normal is it?

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
@ Geno: yeah, white van and all.

@ ljaggers: I'm Australian =], I reckon the site might be there for scam purposes.

I think my mate got scammed, we just checked the box, didn't come with any cables.... That's not normal is it?
The only cable my receiver came with was the power cord. Not that I don't think he was scammed. I bet he was;)

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I checked out the link that Walter posted, No specs on anything just prices RED FLAGS went up. If you look at the 580 towers in the picture it clearly says Pro Technik. The link from Walter if you click on where it's says main home page it takes you to Pro Technik Labs

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I checked out the link that Walter posted, No specs on anything just prices RED FLAGS went up. If you look at the 580 towers in the picture it clearly says Pro Technik. The link from Walter if you click on where it's says main home page it takes you to Pro Technik Labs
Then, if you click the link on the right that says "Please call our 24/7 customer service center" they don't give a phone number.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Then, if you click the link on the right that says "Please call our 24/7 customer service center" they don't give a phone number.
I didn't notice that, good catch all it says is to leave your name,email and comments is this the white van of the 21st century?:eek::D

K

Kolestarol

Audiophyte
lol, indeed =. =

You know what tho, we plugged them in yesterday, and so far, can't really tell any problems with it... wtf? o_O

what should he do to check? lol

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Generally, from what I've heard, is that the white van systems are pretty much what you pay for. While they are really inexpensive, they aren't total garbage, they just are a long way from a quality brand like, say, WHARFDALE...

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/

The use of a name which is similar to another major audio manufacturer is comon as it allows for the less informed to get more easily sucked into the process.

But, at the end of the day, your room mate wasn't ripped off, he was merely sold a product which was appropriate for the price which he paid and is likely to last accordingly. It isn't a nice system, it is a cheap system, but he paid for a cheap system and it does work, so be happy.

Almost no decent gear ever ships with cables. You buy cables to fit your room, not to fit your equipment, so including cables is generally a waste of money.

Next time your room mate buys something expensive, you may want him to do some research and ask some basic questions prior to the purchase. It could save him a lot of money in the long run.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Generally, from what I've heard, is that the white van systems are pretty much what you pay for. While they are really inexpensive, they aren't total garbage, they just are a long way from a quality brand like, say, WHARFDALE...

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/

The use of a name which is similar to another major audio manufacturer is comon as it allows for the less informed to get more easily sucked into the process.

But, at the end of the day, your room mate wasn't ripped off, he was merely sold a product which was appropriate for the price which he paid and is likely to last accordingly. It isn't a nice system, it is a cheap system, but he paid for a cheap system and it does work, so be happy.

Almost no decent gear ever ships with cables. You buy cables to fit your room, not to fit your equipment, so including cables is generally a waste of money.

Next time your room mate buys something expensive, you may want him to do some research and ask some basic questions prior to the purchase. It could save him a lot of money in the long run.
Not entirely true, some are so bad they have been known to damage receivers and amplifiers from lack of cross-overs making them extremely difficult to drive. They are most often worth much less than what you pay for them. I've had hands on with some white van specials and they are often as I describe, cross-overless. I had a white van sub sat system in my possession once. The subwoofer (two passive 6.5" woofers inside a thin box) had soft bricks inside of it to give it extra weight. It was absolutely the most aweful thing I've ever seen. The Insignia 5.1 sub sat setup from Best Buy retails for around $140 or so, and is better in ever regard compared to any sub sat system I've seen from a white van special, and you don't often get white van special speakers for $140, they hose you for all they can.

The Rothdale is definitely a scam. They blatently copied the appearance of Bower & Wilkins 600 series speakers. The website is setup like virtually any other white van special site I've seen too. Skimpy to know specifications, or unrealistic specs are common as well. If the MSRP is written right on the box, it's a scam.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Hard to tell what the deal is when you look at the website.....certainly cannot make an informed decision....

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hard to tell what the deal is when you look at the website.....certainly cannot make an informed decision....
I'm wondering how you could not be certain by looking at the site.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It seems a German scam. They say they used to manufacture in Germany now China. I guess Rothdale are the Australian distributors.

The MRSP of the units I don't think are cheap.

It's a scam though. As Seth says they are made to somewhat resemble B & W speakers, and designed to fool you that they are using some SEAS drivers.

Not good!

Thepropertypro

Audiophyte
Rothdale Speaker Scam

There was recently a whole morning dedicated to Rothdale Audio on 3AW explaining the scam. There were many callers describing in detail the exact same scam.

Two ethnic young guys in white courier van approach you with an offer which sounds too good to be true. The well rehersed storey is that there is a spare system that they need to get rid of before they return to the warehouse.

They box states that the system is RRP $5999. Which in the fine print includes installation, projector and projector screen.

They ask you to make an offer generally around the $1200 - $1500 mark and then negotiate from there.

Most people seemed to have paid around $500 - $800 dollars although the less fortunate were taken for up to $1000 plus.

Ebay is a popular way to get some money back as most people realise when they get home that they have been scammed and try to recover some of the lost hundreds they just overpaid.....

The website is also a deadend. Goodluck trying to get onto either their help deck, support lines or for that matter their warrenty, should the system be faulty.

QUALITY - when asked about the quality of the sound/product, components most purchasers agreed that whilst the product worked, the sound was poor, especially at high volumes.

CONCLUSION - If approached at university campass, shopping centre, carpark, petrol station etc. DO NOT PURCHASE ROTHDALE AUDIO.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis